Bullnose Forums

My '85 F150 XLT recently bought

IowaTom

Boy, you nailed it! I've got so many things apart - it's a mess. I have checked out your fixing the module page and plan to do that surgery soon. I live in the PNW and definitely need my wipers!

Thanks again, Gary.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you and yes, as Gary put it, it is like peeling an onion, one layer at a time.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you and yes, as Gary put it, it is like peeling an onion, one layer at a time.

Thank you guys!

I will take the starter to my auto electric guy tomorrow. As for the wiper control box...ugh, another contortionist approach to removal. Doesn't help I'm Lurch...6'5" with XL hands. I see it's right behind my headlight switch. A reach-behind and gentle tug tells me it's fast in there. Gotta get it out, tho! Any suggestions would be great.

I got the mid tank sender plug popped off and dragged it out to empty it of "shellac" old gas. I was first able to siphon about 5 gallons out and in the process, got a mouthfull of the most vile stuff I've ever spat 175 times to get the taste out! ha ha ha!!

Thank you guys!

I will take the starter to my auto electric guy tomorrow. As for the wiper control box...ugh, another contortionist approach to removal. Doesn't help I'm Lurch...6'5" with XL hands. I see it's right behind my headlight switch. A reach-behind and gentle tug tells me it's fast in there. Gotta get it out, tho! Any suggestions would be great.

I got the mid tank sender plug popped off and dragged it out to empty it of "shellac" old gas. I was first able to siphon about 5 gallons out and in the process, got a mouthfull of the most vile stuff I've ever spat 175 times to get the taste out! ha ha ha!!

Oh man, that taste won't go away for days! :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

On the wiper control box, I think it will unplug and come out w/o taking the switch out. It is tight up there, but it can be done. And it isn't actually screwed down as popping off the emergency brake has enough impact to cause problems with the box, so it sorta dangles by its wires.

Oh man, that taste won't go away for days! :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

On the wiper control box, I think it will unplug and come out w/o taking the switch out. It is tight up there, but it can be done. And it isn't actually screwed down as popping off the emergency brake has enough impact to cause problems with the box, so it sorta dangles by its wires.

Believe it or not, mine was screwed down. One screw held it to the plastic that holds the dash in. I removed it, with the plugs, of course, and using a magnifying glass, couldn't see any solder cracks or breaks. What I did see is a loose wire from the back of the black connector. I re-seated it in the slot that corresponds to the same B&W wire in the harness plug. Hoping it solves my power issue to the wipers.

Now when I replace the module, I'll wrap it in foam and secure it with a zip tie.

Well, if I have to buy a new one at least I can navigate under there.

Thanks again for your help & encouragement, Gary and all!

Believe it or not, mine was screwed down. One screw held it to the plastic that holds the dash in. I removed it, with the plugs, of course, and using a magnifying glass, couldn't see any solder cracks or breaks. What I did see is a loose wire from the back of the black connector. I re-seated it in the slot that corresponds to the same B&W wire in the harness plug. Hoping it solves my power issue to the wipers.

Now when I replace the module, I'll wrap it in foam and secure it with a zip tie.

Well, if I have to buy a new one at least I can navigate under there.

Thanks again for your help & encouragement, Gary and all!

Glad you found a bad connection. I'll bet that fixes it. And padding it and hanging it is a good plan.

Glad you found a bad connection. I'll bet that fixes it. And padding it and hanging it is a good plan.

Darned if it didn't. Plugged everything back in and still nothing. Going to try to squeeze the plugs together a little tighter before I throw in the towel and buy a new module.

Oh well, if everything were easy, there'd be no fun in it. :nabble_anim_confused:

Darned if it didn't. Plugged everything back in and still nothing. Going to try to squeeze the plugs together a little tighter before I throw in the towel and buy a new module.

Oh well, if everything were easy, there'd be no fun in it. :nabble_anim_confused:

The wiper works!! I gave the plugs a squeeze, but also used my jumper cable to better ground the motor. More often than not I've discovered bad grounds when things don't work right.

The wiper works!! I gave the plugs a squeeze, but also used my jumper cable to better ground the motor. More often than not I've discovered bad grounds when things don't work right.

Yes, bad grounds are the scourge of the Bullnose trucks. There were changes to the grounds over the Bullnose era, but the big changes came around 1990. So when I re-wired Big Blue I added a bunch of grounds. So far, no problems.

But glad you got it figured out. Now you just have to fix the ground. :nabble_smiley_good: