Bullnose Forums

My '85 F150 XLT recently bought

IowaTom

Hello Gang! I live in western Washington state, tho originally from Iowa. My neighbor sold me his neglected '85 4X4 with the 300 c.i. six and four speed manual, and for the past few weeks have been working to freshen things up. New brakes & hoses for one, since it's more important to stop than go...

First I want to thank Gary for creating and hosting this forum! I know I'll be a regular. My main interest has been restoring tired iron; mostly Studebakers although I also have a '59 Rambler and a '54 Kaiser that's currently for sale on Hemmings. I've owned a few Rangers over the years and always loved them. My "new" F150 has the 8' bed and recently I cleaned it up and gave it a coat of Herculiner. If nothing else, it sure looks better!

At the moment, I have an electrical issue. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder in the column because the old one was sloppy and the key very warn. As many of you know, it's a simple procedure but now, for whatever reason, when I go to start her, all I get is one click from the solenoid. Lights don't work until I disconnect the battery and re-connect it, then try again and get one click with lights going out. I replaced the ground cable and know the battery connections are tight. Could my solenoid have died?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help and I'm seriously having more fun than an old guy should, under this old beast.

Tom - Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

But, before we get started, who are you rooting for at 2:30 this afternoon? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, where's home? We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu above) and we could add you if we had a city or zip.

On the electrical problem, you'll want to start a thread in the main section as it'll get more attention. But have you seen the alignment directions on the Ignition Switch tab at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition?

But it is possible the starter relay, aka solenoid, can go bad. But it is rare for that to happen when you are working on the ignition switch. It is more likely there's something wrong with the switch or its installation.

Tom - Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

But, before we get started, who are you rooting for at 2:30 this afternoon? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, where's home? We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu above) and we could add you if we had a city or zip.

On the electrical problem, you'll want to start a thread in the main section as it'll get more attention. But have you seen the alignment directions on the Ignition Switch tab at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition?

But it is possible the starter relay, aka solenoid, can go bad. But it is rare for that to happen when you are working on the ignition switch. It is more likely there's something wrong with the switch or its installation.

Thanks, Gary!

Using your instructions with a small drill bit, I believe I was able to readjust the switch. Still have the same issue with the relay clicking once and no engine cranking. I know my battery cables are good and connections are clean and tight. Engine is not stuck because it was running before. I have even used a good jumper cable on the posts in addition to the truck's cables to see if there wasn't a short someplace. Maybe it's time to replace the starter relay.

Thanks, Gary!

Using your instructions with a small drill bit, I believe I was able to readjust the switch. Still have the same issue with the relay clicking once and no engine cranking. I know my battery cables are good and connections are clean and tight. Engine is not stuck because it was running before. I have even used a good jumper cable on the posts in addition to the truck's cables to see if there wasn't a short someplace. Maybe it's time to replace the starter relay.

If you put a jumper cable from the front big post to the back big post the engine cranks?

How 'bout if you go from the front big big post to the little post where the red/light blue wire is? That should pull the relay in and cause the engine to crank. If not, then the relay is bad. If it does then you aren't pulling the relay in with the ignition switch.

If you put a jumper cable from the front big post to the back big post the engine cranks?

How 'bout if you go from the front big big post to the little post where the red/light blue wire is? That should pull the relay in and cause the engine to crank. If not, then the relay is bad. If it does then you aren't pulling the relay in with the ignition switch.

I tried them both, Gary, and no crank. Going to replace the solenoid relay! Thank you!

I tried them both, Gary, and no crank. Going to replace the solenoid relay! Thank you!

If you jumpered across the two big terminals and it didn't crank then the problem isn't the relay as you bypassed it. The problem is either the battery cables/connections or the starter.

If you jumpered across the two big terminals and it didn't crank then the problem isn't the relay as you bypassed it. The problem is either the battery cables/connections or the starter.

I was thinking about the starter too, since the relay clicked when it should. I'll take it off and over to an auto electric guy near me for testing.

Now once that issue is behind me, I'm onto a wiper motor situation. Can't get a new motor to run and I know the switch is good. As Roseanna-danna used to say; it's alllllways something!

I was thinking about the starter too, since the relay clicked when it should. I'll take it off and over to an auto electric guy near me for testing.

Now once that issue is behind me, I'm onto a wiper motor situation. Can't get a new motor to run and I know the switch is good. As Roseanna-danna used to say; it's alllllways something!

These trucks are like onions. You peel and cry, peel and cry. But soon you have enough onions to have a Bloomin' Onion! :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the wipers, don't miss the page at Documentation/Electrical/Wipers. And see the Troubleshooting tab.

These trucks are like onions. You peel and cry, peel and cry. But soon you have enough onions to have a Bloomin' Onion! :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the wipers, don't miss the page at Documentation/Electrical/Wipers. And see the Troubleshooting tab.

Boy, you nailed it! I've got so many things apart - it's a mess. I have checked out your fixing the module page and plan to do that surgery soon. I live in the PNW and definitely need my wipers!

Thanks again, Gary.