Bullnose Forums

Not A Ford, But.....

I know this isn't a Ford. But I thought y'all would want to read this article and watch the video about the new Hummer electric truck. Yes, there's a whole lot to go wrong, but when it is working it makes Big Blue look like a Model A.

It is just mind boggling! :nabble_anim_crazy:

https://expeditionportal.com/2022-hummer-ev-electric-super-truck-first-off-road-drive/

I wouldn't purchase it even if I had the disposable type of income it requires to do so. As we have talked about, this technology is still in it's infancy. Five years from now, that Hummer may seem like a model T when compared to the "new" technology be it battery or whatever. Frankly, I'm surprised we've not done anything with hydrogen yet. I remember in Chemistry class when we were making hydrogen from water. I was fascinated in it and envisioned filling my car up with H2O someday...LOL! But, a lot of energy has to go into this process.

BTW, did drive a friend's Tesla a few weeks back. Very impressed with it's power. Kinda weird accelerating like that without the engine roaring! Don't care much for the aesthetics and hate the dash. Basically, you just have a steering wheel in front of you. An oversized I-Pad sits to your right, center dash, for information. Very high tech though.

Off topic slightly in relation to vehicles but battery tech is definitely improving. I'm a bit anal about my yard and I work hard to make it look nice....mow, edge, hedge, trim, blow off, etc. I enjoy it. I have reliable gas powered equipment for mowing, trimming and blowing off. My hedger and edger were plug in that required 200 plus feet of extension cord to use. Hated dragging out those extension cords! Went and bought me a battery powered hedger and edger and just love it. With one battery charge, I can very quickly get through my work without the hassles of the extension cords. And, that charge will last me through at least three mowings! I bought this equipment after reading reviews on battery powered lawn mowers. Impressive! There was a time when I wouldn't even look at such equipment for my needs. That day has past.

I wouldn't purchase it even if I had the disposable type of income it requires to do so. As we have talked about, this technology is still in it's infancy. Five years from now, that Hummer may seem like a model T when compared to the "new" technology be it battery or whatever. Frankly, I'm surprised we've not done anything with hydrogen yet. I remember in Chemistry class when we were making hydrogen from water. I was fascinated in it and envisioned filling my car up with H2O someday...LOL! But, a lot of energy has to go into this process.

BTW, did drive a friend's Tesla a few weeks back. Very impressed with it's power. Kinda weird accelerating like that without the engine roaring! Don't care much for the aesthetics and hate the dash. Basically, you just have a steering wheel in front of you. An oversized I-Pad sits to your right, center dash, for information. Very high tech though.

Off topic slightly in relation to vehicles but battery tech is definitely improving. I'm a bit anal about my yard and I work hard to make it look nice....mow, edge, hedge, trim, blow off, etc. I enjoy it. I have reliable gas powered equipment for mowing, trimming and blowing off. My hedger and edger were plug in that required 200 plus feet of extension cord to use. Hated dragging out those extension cords! Went and bought me a battery powered hedger and edger and just love it. With one battery charge, I can very quickly get through my work without the hassles of the extension cords. And, that charge will last me through at least three mowings! I bought this equipment after reading reviews on battery powered lawn mowers. Impressive! There was a time when I wouldn't even look at such equipment for my needs. That day has past.

I'm not ready to buy a Hummer either, but was blown away with what it can already do.

As for battery tech, I had a Stihl trimmer and a Stihl blower. And I've had to have them worked on several times. The trimmer finally would NOT start, and after conversing with my brother I bought a Ryobi 40V trimmer. LOVE IT! No oil, no gas, plenty of power, and lots less noise. Starts every time I pull the trigger, and one charge does the whole yard. The day the blower won't start is the day I get a 2nd battery - along with a Ryobi blower.

Yes, battery tech has really evolved, and will continue to do so. But no, I'm not ready to replace Big Blue with an electric vehicle. I still like that V8 rumble. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm not ready to buy a Hummer either, but was blown away with what it can already do.

As for battery tech, I had a Stihl trimmer and a Stihl blower. And I've had to have them worked on several times. The trimmer finally would NOT start, and after conversing with my brother I bought a Ryobi 40V trimmer. LOVE IT! No oil, no gas, plenty of power, and lots less noise. Starts every time I pull the trigger, and one charge does the whole yard. The day the blower won't start is the day I get a 2nd battery - along with a Ryobi blower.

Yes, battery tech has really evolved, and will continue to do so. But no, I'm not ready to replace Big Blue with an electric vehicle. I still like that V8 rumble. :nabble_smiley_wink:

No, I know what you're saying on the Hummer and agree!

I could have told you on that Stihl. Their commercial products are great but their residential stuff is garbage. I purchased a Stihl Combi package sometime back and hated it from day one. Following that experience, I purchased an Echo trimmer and after a couple years of use and liking it so much, I purchased their blower and then finally their chainsaw. Two pull, assisted start every time, even after winter storage. Great stuff! I went EGO on my battery stuff and so far I like it. I bought it off reviews. Time will tell but it works great and looks to be very high quality.

No, I know what you're saying on the Hummer and agree!

I could have told you on that Stihl. Their commercial products are great but their residential stuff is garbage. I purchased a Stihl Combi package sometime back and hated it from day one. Following that experience, I purchased an Echo trimmer and after a couple years of use and liking it so much, I purchased their blower and then finally their chainsaw. Two pull, assisted start every time, even after winter storage. Great stuff! I went EGO on my battery stuff and so far I like it. I bought it off reviews. Time will tell but it works great and looks to be very high quality.

Hadn’t heard of EGO. But I see they make a lot of power tools. They look good, but I’m into Ryobi now. Pulling the trigger and not having to fuss with starting, mixing, etc is a huge improvement.

Hadn’t heard of EGO. But I see they make a lot of power tools. They look good, but I’m into Ryobi now. Pulling the trigger and not having to fuss with starting, mixing, etc is a huge improvement.

To be Clear, EGO is battery powered. Echo is gas powered.