Bullnose Forums

What was the deal with Bullnose sway bars?

Just curious, but when did these trucks have sway bars?

Did 2wd trucks ever have them or was it the heavier/4x4 trucks only?

Were they optional upgrades or did they come as standard after a certain year (Post Bullnose).

I happened to come across an 8.8 rear diff (1990) in the classifieds this morning, and it said "with sway bar", and I guess I'm just curious what the scoop is (or was, in this case).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were optional on all the trucks in the Bullnose era, although they may have become standard later. I've updated my page (Suspension & Steering/Sway Bar) to show the part numbers, and the applications start in 1980.

I've had trucks with and trucks w/o them. Rusty and the 1982 Explorer I had didn't have them, but Dad's truck does. And Dad's drove much better than they did, which I attributed to the sway bars.

Big Blue has them but they make the suspension way too harsh, so they are disconnected on one end.

They were optional on all the trucks in the Bullnose era, although they may have become standard later. I've updated my page (Suspension & Steering/Sway Bar) to show the part numbers, and the applications start in 1980.

I've had trucks with and trucks w/o them. Rusty and the 1982 Explorer I had didn't have them, but Dad's truck does. And Dad's drove much better than they did, which I attributed to the sway bars.

Big Blue has them but they make the suspension way too harsh, so they are disconnected on one end.

The ones on Darth came off the parts truck "Big Ugly" with the exception of the front brackets for the sway bar to axle links, those are actually the correct pieces for the 1986 F350 2WD.

Very interesting...thanks guys.

I have completely rebuilt my front end with all new Moog stuff, and I have four next shocks installed, and the truck still feels sort of "springy"? on the road. Maybe I'll add swaybars on to my to do list;).

They'll come after the RedHead steering gear of course.

Very interesting...thanks guys.

I have completely rebuilt my front end with all new Moog stuff, and I have four next shocks installed, and the truck still feels sort of "springy"? on the road. Maybe I'll add swaybars on to my to do list;).

They'll come after the RedHead steering gear of course.

I think you'll like the sway bars. Dad's truck felt really "planted" in spite of the steering being worn a bit more than Rusty's.

Hmmm... Gary, I wonder how much of this "harsh ride" is due to the recently discussed extra leaves [leafs?] in Big Blue's rear springs?

Dunno. But I do know that disconnecting the sway bars made a big difference in the ride. Both Janey and I were amazed at the change. Ken recommended it as it really helped the ride on his F250 as well.

However, it would be easy to hook them back up once I soften the springs to see if they still make a big difference. I just removed one end link on each sway bar, so it is easy to put back.

If I am remembering right, in 80/81 the Freewheeling package B included what Ford called a “handling package” which included the dual front shocks and sway bars front and back. This handling package was no doubt an optional upgrade on other trucks as well. Chris McGaugh says the sway bars made a really big difference on his Bronco because of the short wheelbase.

If I am remembering right, in 80/81 the Freewheeling package B included what Ford called a “handling package” which included the dual front shocks and sway bars front and back. This handling package was no doubt an optional upgrade on other trucks as well. Chris McGaugh says the sway bars made a really big difference on his Bronco because of the short wheelbase.

Good memory! It was Free Wheeling "B".

Free_Wheeling_Package.thumb.jpg.7a5d01e22ab0c96a13b19956ded64af1.jpg

Handling_Package.jpg.f179693bf75acb55634d4053ae0012c4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gary,

I'm digging back through this swaybar stuff again, and I'm curious about the axle brackets on the 2wd trucks. Item # 5486 in the image below upper RH corner (The bracket that sits under the coil spring lower mount, on top of the radius arm). Do you know if this bracket was the same from 1980-up? Was the same one used on 2wd and 4x4 trucks? And, was there a specific spring mount that went with this swaybar bracket?

front-sway-bar-3.jpg.9835dbe4f64f6c00623f861c6813007c.jpg

I want to go parts hunting, and I'm curious what trucks I can scavenge parts from. The swaybar end links and bushings appear to be readily available aftermarket, and bolts are no issue, so those items are no problem.

I was reading that the swaybars were the same between 2wd and 4x4, but the end links and mounts were different.

In any case, my main curiosity right now is the bracket on the axle end where the end link connects as that will likely be the hardest part for me to find...and if it isn't the hardest to find, it will be the hardest to remove...lol.