Bullnose Forum

Ford C2 Power Steering Pump with Saginaw Internals?

Rembrant

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'll do it anyway.  I just purchased the Lee CII replacement pump - does this seem like the right hose?  @mat in tn - it seems like you have first hand experience here so anything you can chime in with would be sincerely appreciated!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=474&cc=1121915&pt=7320&jsn=1301

The Lee product page doesn't say the fitting on the pump itself is a M16 so I'll email them to double check.  I'm hoping there aren't any gotchas with the different way the line is bent going into the steering box, but one way to find out I suppose.

8 hours ago, BigBrother-84 said:

Well, I won't be really helpful for that particular question, but all I can remember is that it was a direct fit, have nothing to say about any difference between the original equipment.

Thanks Jeff.  So you were able to re-use the existing PS pressure line?  That'd be nice, but the way the Lee webpage read to me, the outlet on the pump was metric and I think the original was 5/8".  Either way, looking forward to nice and quiet operation!  The YouTube video was nice to see as well. 👍

1 hour ago, ckuske said:

So you were able to re-use the existing PS pressure line?  That'd be nice, but the way the Lee webpage read to me, the outlet on the pump was metric and I think the original was 5/8".

I found some emails I exchanged with them.  In a first time, the wrote:

«This will be a direct bolt in. I don't think they ran anything imperial post 1980, so you should be fine. You will need a new pressure line, as our pump utilizes a -6AN male pressure fitting instead of metric o-ring. If you give me a length and hose end clocking, I could make that hose for you here. Then you'll need a -6 fitting to go into your gearbox as well, again, I can provide that.  And, yes, your stock pulley will be re-used.»

Then, they modified their answer as following:

«All existing hoses will work. This pump will bolt right in. The -6 fittings we referred to in a previous email was for a different ford pump that we sell, sorry about the confusion. Thanks, Mike. »

I admit it's a little confusing...

I also remember now that I also replaced the pressure hose and the gear box, bought at NAPA, identical to the original ones.  All I can say is that I didn't need any special fitting, plug'n play replacement for every parts.

I'm still fully satisfied about this so quiet Lee pump, one of the best upgrades I ever made to Big Brother!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigBrother-84 said:

I found some emails I exchanged with them.  In a first time, the wrote:

«This will be a direct bolt in. I don't think they ran anything imperial post 1980, so you should be fine. You will need a new pressure line, as our pump utilizes a -6AN male pressure fitting instead of metric o-ring. If you give me a length and hose end clocking, I could make that hose for you here. Then you'll need a -6 fitting to go into your gearbox as well, again, I can provide that.  And, yes, your stock pulley will be re-used.»

Then, they modified their answer as following:

«All existing hoses will work. This pump will bolt right in. The -6 fittings we referred to in a previous email was for a different ford pump that we sell, sorry about the confusion. Thanks, Mike. »

I admit it's a little confusing...

I also remember now that I also replaced the pressure hose and the gear box, bought at NAPA, identical to the original ones.  All I can say is that I didn't need any special fitting, plug'n play replacement for every parts.

I'm still fully satisfied about this so quiet Lee pump, one of the best upgrades I ever made to Big Brother!

Ok, maybe their page is incorrect.  I'll find out soon enough! Between the Borgeson shaft, BlueTop steering box and this upgrade, my steering should be good to go for a long time!  Thanks for your feedback.  👍

2 hours ago, ckuske said:

Thanks Jeff.  So you were able to re-use the existing PS pressure line?  That'd be nice, but the way the Lee webpage read to me, the outlet on the pump was metric and I think the original was 5/8".  Either way, looking forward to nice and quiet operation!  The YouTube video was nice to see as well. 👍

Correct. The old standard 5/8" outlet fittings with the o-ring on the line was what was used from 1980-1989. The lines from 1990-1996/97 should all be 16mm Metric...they have a white teflon seal on the threads. The lines should all be bent the same...but the later ones, from 1993 or 1994-1996 have a pressure port (at least some of them do). I used a couple of the later pumps in my builds, with the metric fitting, and all I did was buy one of the newer pressure lines to run with them. Worked fine. It could be that Jeff's truck already had a newer power steering pump installed, and therefore the pressure line had already been swapped previously? Thinking out loud. In any case, good luck with it. Anxious to hear how it works;).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ckuske said:

Ok, maybe their page is incorrect.  I'll find out soon enough! Between the Borgeson shaft, BlueTop steering box and this upgrade, my steering should be good to go for a long time!

Let us know how it goes.  But I'll bet the steering will be a whole lot better with that combo.