Bullnose Forums

Good News - We May Be Moving Soon!

This is to update you on the plans to move to the AWS servers. Basically we have only two things that need to be worked out before we move:

• Security Certificate: We need to acquire an https security certificate which we will then install. This shouldn't take too long but needs to be in place before we move.

• Joining Process: One of the reasons we are moving is because the powers-that-be at Nabble made changes that broke our joining process. We've been limping along with the broken one for over a year now, but we recently installed a previous version of Nabble that removed the changes and we are testing to make sure the process is what we want.

I can't really give you a precise time when we will move, but it should be essentially transparent to you as the old URL's will still work to get you here. But in order to effect the change we will have to shut the forum down for a few hours so I can download a backup of what we have on the Nabble servers, upload that backup to the AWS servers, and redirect the internet to the AWS servers.

We will give you plenty of notice. And we plan to do it at a time when it won't cause problems for many people.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for all this time and effort. Even this forum is labelled "Free Nabble Forum", I suppose there are some basic fees the forum has to front.

Is there a way we can financially participate to help maintaining it (hosting, certificates, or some other recurring fees)?

Can hardly imagine it is really and totally "free"...

Hi Gary,

Thanks for all this time and effort. Even this forum is labelled "Free Nabble Forum", I suppose there are some basic fees the forum has to front.

Is there a way we can financially participate to help maintaining it (hosting, certificates, or some other recurring fees)?

Can hardly imagine it is really and totally "free"...

Thanks, guys. It has taken a lot of behind-the-scenes work to get us where we are with the AWS servers, and I certainly appreciate all that have been involved. I couldn't have done any of it w/o the others.

As for costs, yes they are starting to mount up. Every time we've turned a corner we've found another expense. But I didn't want to say anything until we knew what they are and that it is going to work. Pretty sure it is going to work, but don't yet have a handle on the https certificate cost so we don't quite know the total cost.

When I do I'll check with my banker (Janey) and see if we need help. Thanks!

Thanks, guys. It has taken a lot of behind-the-scenes work to get us where we are with the AWS servers, and I certainly appreciate all that have been involved. I couldn't have done any of it w/o the others.

As for costs, yes they are starting to mount up. Every time we've turned a corner we've found another expense. But I didn't want to say anything until we knew what they are and that it is going to work. Pretty sure it is going to work, but don't yet have a handle on the https certificate cost so we don't quite know the total cost.

When I do I'll check with my banker (Janey) and see if we need help. Thanks!

Thank You Gary

Thank You Gary

Welcome. It is a labor of love.

As an update, I think we have the joining process nailed and we are now just working on the security certificate. But we've discovered some other minor glitches so need to sort those as well.

Also, the "Free forum by Nabble" is gone. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Welcome. It is a labor of love.

As an update, I think we have the joining process nailed and we are now just working on the security certificate. But we've discovered some other minor glitches so need to sort those as well.

Also, the "Free forum by Nabble" is gone. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Thanks for all your work, Gary!

I'm not sure if you have mulled this over before, but have you considered a "Coffee Fund" or a Patreon account? I've certainly gotten enough from this site to justify a contribution to keeping the site up. Just a thought.

Thanks for all your work, Gary!

I'm not sure if you have mulled this over before, but have you considered a "Coffee Fund" or a Patreon account? I've certainly gotten enough from this site to justify a contribution to keeping the site up. Just a thought.

Thanks, Chris. I have thought about it and haven't come to a conclusion if I need to ask, or even allow, for help. One reason for that is that I don't yet know what it is going to cost. But when we get over on the AWS servers I probably will pretty quickly.

Another is the suggestion by my son, the lawyer, to create a separate entity for the funds to go into. In other words, don't mix them with our personal funds. And that is going to take some research. I know creating such an entity in some states can have a significant cost, and we don't want to add cost.

Anyway, when the dust settles after the migration I'll rack and stack the costs and check with my "manager" regarding what we think needs to be done. And then I'll let y'all know. But I certainly appreciate the offer. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Chris. I have thought about it and haven't come to a conclusion if I need to ask, or even allow, for help. One reason for that is that I don't yet know what it is going to cost. But when we get over on the AWS servers I probably will pretty quickly.

Another is the suggestion by my son, the lawyer, to create a separate entity for the funds to go into. In other words, don't mix them with our personal funds. And that is going to take some research. I know creating such an entity in some states can have a significant cost, and we don't want to add cost.

Anyway, when the dust settles after the migration I'll rack and stack the costs and check with my "manager" regarding what we think needs to be done. And then I'll let y'all know. But I certainly appreciate the offer. :nabble_smiley_good:

:nabble_smiley_good:

Those AWS bills can sneak up on you, so be sure to say something!