Bullnose Forums

Rear Suspension Mod's For Big Blue?

I'm seriously considering modifying the rear suspension on Big Blue by removing some leafs out of the springs and adding air bags in an effort to get the ride a bit less harsh. (Removing the sway bar links helped, but it is still quite harsh.)

I think Vernon may have had heavier than standard springs installed as these have 7 leafs and what I can find in the catalog says there should be 6. And nothing I've put in the bed or on the trailer has dropped the rear ride height much at all. So, while it is nice to have the ability to carry lots of extra weight, running around with that capability 100% of the time is getting old.

Air Lift has their LoadLifter 5000 system that is a bolt-on. But with its 5000# capability it is a lot more than I need since the springs are supposed to have about that capability. So, if I pull a few leafs out and get the springs down to ~3800#, which is the lightest spring set for an F250, I'd only need a max of 2000#. I've written Air Lift to see if they have a lighter-duty set that will fit, but from what I can see they use this one for F100's through F350's, so I'm betting they'll say "This is it."

Anyway, what do y'all think of this plan? How many leafs would you take out to start with? (In theory I could take out almost all of them and use the air bags to get the load capacity.)

Also, what about take the spacer block out if the ride height doesn't come down enough? The spacer block is circled in red, below.

Rear_Spacer_Block.thumb.jpg.b81088705a44b3b10e52f43d40a8221b.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, 7 springs definitely seems excessive. My F350 has 5 plus the 6th factory overload that only contacts the extra brackets when squatting. The ‘81 F150 2wd springs are also 5, but only 2.5” wide. The donor 4x4 had 4 leafs that were 3” wide... and someone added overload leaf packs to it (probably for hauling firewood).

I really can’t speak to airbags, as I have never owned or used any. If it were me, I’d try 5 like my F350 and see if that improves the user experience without the airbags. I like how it rode, but it has a longer wheelbase. Still, it was quite smooth for a 1-ton. If it’s still too harsh go to 4 leafs like the 4x4 F150 and add the air bags if you need the capacity. I think you might be pleased, however, just going from 7 to 5. The F350 spring pack with the auxiliary 6th spring might be another option to air bags? Not to “bag” on them, but I’ve not heard anything good about air bags from guys who do off-road.

Gary, 7 springs definitely seems excessive. My F350 has 5 plus the 6th factory overload that only contacts the extra brackets when squatting. The ‘81 F150 2wd springs are also 5, but only 2.5” wide. The donor 4x4 had 4 leafs that were 3” wide... and someone added overload leaf packs to it (probably for hauling firewood).

I really can’t speak to airbags, as I have never owned or used any. If it were me, I’d try 5 like my F350 and see if that improves the user experience without the airbags. I like how it rode, but it has a longer wheelbase. Still, it was quite smooth for a 1-ton. If it’s still too harsh go to 4 leafs like the 4x4 F150 and add the air bags if you need the capacity. I think you might be pleased, however, just going from 7 to 5. The F350 spring pack with the auxiliary 6th spring might be another option to air bags? Not to “bag” on them, but I’ve not heard anything good about air bags from guys who do off-road.

First, clarification: Big Blue has 6+1, meaning 6 leafs in the main pack and the 7th factory overload.

But, I could try 1 less in the main pack w/o the air bags, and then drop another if I think it is warranted. And then add the air bags if needed. Good idea. :nabble_smiley_good:

What about the air bags did the guys not like?

First, clarification: Big Blue has 6+1, meaning 6 leafs in the main pack and the 7th factory overload.

But, I could try 1 less in the main pack w/o the air bags, and then drop another if I think it is warranted. And then add the air bags if needed. Good idea. :nabble_smiley_good:

What about the air bags did the guys not like?

Okay, so big blue has the auxiliary factory overload? I’ve not noticed it on F250, but I’ve never really looked either. Do you know if subtracting springs acts the same as the next smaller set? They are not dynamically matched as a pack that needs to stay together?

On the air bags, the main complaint I’ve heard is ruptures from grit getting in the seams and rubbing through. Like I said, I have no first hand experience or knowledge of which products these were, but that’s what I have heard. The other complaint is restriction of articulation but on a 8 lug truck that hardly applies.

Okay, so big blue has the auxiliary factory overload? I’ve not noticed it on F250, but I’ve never really looked either. Do you know if subtracting springs acts the same as the next smaller set? They are not dynamically matched as a pack that needs to stay together?

On the air bags, the main complaint I’ve heard is ruptures from grit getting in the seams and rubbing through. Like I said, I have no first hand experience or knowledge of which products these were, but that’s what I have heard. The other complaint is restriction of articulation but on a 8 lug truck that hardly applies.

I don't know if subtracting springs in a pack is similar to a smaller or lighter set. Here's BB's springs, and if I were to take two out I think I'd take the 2nd and 4th from the top.

As for the air bags rubbing, I can see that if they had no air in them they might rub. But if they had some air in them then wouldn't the air keep them opened up so they wouldn't rub?

Thoughts?

Rear_Springs.thumb.jpg.6e50a8a0740195f9d8bf9266ae2b7a52.jpg

I don't know if subtracting springs in a pack is similar to a smaller or lighter set. Here's BB's springs, and if I were to take two out I think I'd take the 2nd and 4th from the top.

As for the air bags rubbing, I can see that if they had no air in them they might rub. But if they had some air in them then wouldn't the air keep them opened up so they wouldn't rub?

Thoughts?

I am all about limiting expenses, so I vote for removing 1 or 2 leafs as a beginning. Your time and labor will be involved, but not your wallet! :nabble_smiley_good:

I am all about limiting expenses, so I vote for removing 1 or 2 leafs as a beginning. Your time and labor will be involved, but not your wallet! :nabble_smiley_good:

I think that’s probably the best plan. Just pulling the u-bolts that hold the pack to the axle and then pulling the retaining bolt should let me slip a couple of leafs out. And that is I’ll let me know if it makes an appreciable difference.

I think that’s probably the best plan. Just pulling the u-bolts that hold the pack to the axle and then pulling the retaining bolt should let me slip a couple of leafs out. And that is I’ll let me know if it makes an appreciable difference.

I may have to go look closely at Darth, I count 5 leaves + the extra short leaf on top from the pictures. Mine is supposed to be 7400 lb rear and I know it takes a bit to even get close to the overload spring. Maybe that's why I don't think Darth rides that bad.

I may have to go look closely at Darth, I count 5 leaves + the extra short leaf on top from the pictures. Mine is supposed to be 7400 lb rear and I know it takes a bit to even get close to the overload spring. Maybe that's why I don't think Darth rides that bad.

I still see 7 leafs. What am I missing?

Rear_Springs.thumb.jpg.aa2dcb03534d81e371b2236d3ec76061.jpg