Bullnose Forums

Carter/Edelbrock restrictors

Interesting. I've not seen those before, but they should work fine. And the price is great - I wouldn't make 4 of those for $59.

Bill? What are your thoughts?

If you need to go down in size it looks like a good option, it will also help low speed transition. European and some Asian carburetors have used varying size venturiis (Weber calls them chokes) to adjust for air flow based on cylinder volume, rpm etc.

Biggest issue I used to see on large carburetors on smaller engines was the "throttle lag" when flooring it, primarily Carter and Rochester 4G series due to the mechanical secondaries. This was corrected by the Quadrajet with it's air valves and secondary metering rods.

An interesting side note, one of the first "4 barrel" systems was the 1941-42 Buick Compound Carburetor, consisting of 2 Carter or Stromberg 2 barrels, front being the primary and rear the secondary. It wasn't done for performance as much as fuel economy (WWII gas rationing).

If you need to go down in size it looks like a good option, it will also help low speed transition. European and some Asian carburetors have used varying size venturiis (Weber calls them chokes) to adjust for air flow based on cylinder volume, rpm etc.

Biggest issue I used to see on large carburetors on smaller engines was the "throttle lag" when flooring it, primarily Carter and Rochester 4G series due to the mechanical secondaries. This was corrected by the Quadrajet with it's air valves and secondary metering rods.

An interesting side note, one of the first "4 barrel" systems was the 1941-42 Buick Compound Carburetor, consisting of 2 Carter or Stromberg 2 barrels, front being the primary and rear the secondary. It wasn't done for performance as much as fuel economy (WWII gas rationing).

Thanks, Bill.

And that's interesting about the early 4bbl systems. :nabble_smiley_good: