Bullnose Forums

Violent shaking

So I have been having this issue over the past couple days. It started off minor with minor vibration when accelerating from a dead stop. Now it’s violently shaking the whole truck when I accelerate from a dead stop. I don’t know what it could be but its very worrying to me. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

P.s. it only does it from stopped. It doesn’t do it after a couple seconds and doesn’t do it when I speed up from slowing down.

I joints seem fine. Any other places I should look?

Pinion bearing wear/rear-end yoke movement? The early (short pinion) Sterlings have issues with this…

33266634-704E-41E0-AD7C-85F0A7EF1B2A.jpeg.88d08525a9f6abf778a219c4b19f8d56.jpeg

Another thing to look at (if the driveline is tight) are the front caliper pins. One of mine became loose and caused “death wobble”. Does applying the break smooth it out at all?

Pinion bearing wear/rear-end yoke movement? The early (short pinion) Sterlings have issues with this…

Another thing to look at (if the driveline is tight) are the front caliper pins. One of mine became loose and caused “death wobble”. Does applying the break smooth it out at all?

I was thinking the same thing on brakes. If it's sticking enough it could cause an issue (if on the front).

That pinion gear is pretty gnarly.

I was thinking the same thing on brakes. If it's sticking enough it could cause an issue (if on the front).

That pinion gear is pretty gnarly.

The rear diff is something that’s on my agenda to get taken care of next. There is no wobble on the drive shaft what do ever. I will have to look at the front brakes in the morning. It might make sense if it is the front calipers. I was just hoping it wouldn’t be anything major that I would have to deal with right now.

The rear diff is something that’s on my agenda to get taken care of next. There is no wobble on the drive shaft what do ever. I will have to look at the front brakes in the morning. It might make sense if it is the front calipers. I was just hoping it wouldn’t be anything major that I would have to deal with right now.

I had a vibe that was u joints. Looked at them twice. Thought they were ok.

Finally jacked up the truck and could see they were bad when I rotated the driveshaft.

Something to consider if you don’t find anything else.

I had a vibe that was u joints. Looked at them twice. Thought they were ok.

Finally jacked up the truck and could see they were bad when I rotated the driveshaft.

Something to consider if you don’t find anything else.

This. Bad U joints are hard to diagnose when the driveshaft is under load. With parking brakes on and shifted to neutral, try it then. Any play is no bueno. Even so, jacked with the wheels free to turn is the best way to check.

This. Bad U joints are hard to diagnose when the driveshaft is under load. With parking brakes on and shifted to neutral, try it then. Any play is no bueno. Even so, jacked with the wheels free to turn is the best way to check.

Well I looked at the brakes and they look completely fine. I guess U-joints are next to replace. Luckily they are not too expensive.