Bullnose Forums

1983 AOD 4x2 Transmission, anything I need to know?

Rembrant

If you are going EFI, a 4R70 or 75W unit (electronic AOD) could be a better choice, or use an aftermarket controller. The latter allows more flexibility in tuning the shift points.

I'm back into reading about transmissions. I'm liking the idea of an electronic auto (with OD) that I can operate with a stand alone tuner.

I don't want to get into custom making parts if I don't have to, but the following kit is available for my flathead:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathead-V8-to-Ford-C4-Transmission-Basic-Adapter-Kit,11051.html

So...it says for adapting to Ford C4, C6, and AOD. If it fits those three, wouldn't it also work for later electronic versions, at least up to 1996?

The E40D was from 1989-1996? I see there is also an AOD-E, and the 4R70W?

Should I be looking for a truck transmission, or a car transmission?

Any advice, good or bad?

Unless you are making some serious power a 4R70/75W will work nicely. It comes in a Windsor bolt pattern like a C4 and is reasonably compact. The E4OD is a beast, bigger than a C6 and heavy. Any of the electronic ones can be operated with an aftermarket controller.

Unless you are making some serious power a 4R70/75W will work nicely. It comes in a Windsor bolt pattern like a C4 and is reasonably compact. The E4OD is a beast, bigger than a C6 and heavy. Any of the electronic ones can be operated with an aftermarket controller.

An E4OD is a beast? Yep! Looooong!

So what is the diff between an E4 and a 4R70/75W?

An E4OD is a beast? Yep! Looooong!

So what is the diff between an E4 and a 4R70/75W?

Ok, I've located a guy that is parting out a 1996 F150 4x2 with a 5.0 and unknown transmission. He's getting back to me tomorrow with a picture of the certification label. Is it likely to have the 4R70W? I think that would make a nice little package for my '52 Merc.

I have more or less committed to pulling the flathead and Chevy 5spd and swapping in a nice 5.0 with an Auto trans w/OD. The old 239 flathead works great, but it's a slug and adding an auto trans, power steering, AC, etc is troublesome and expensive.

Ok, I've located a guy that is parting out a 1996 F150 4x2 with a 5.0 and unknown transmission. He's getting back to me tomorrow with a picture of the certification label. Is it likely to have the 4R70W? I think that would make a nice little package for my '52 Merc.

I have more or less committed to pulling the flathead and Chevy 5spd and swapping in a nice 5.0 with an Auto trans w/OD. The old 239 flathead works great, but it's a slug and adding an auto trans, power steering, AC, etc is troublesome and expensive.

Motor Trend's article entitled Ford 4R70W TCI Automatic Transmission Rebuild says "This transmission was used for 10 years: 1993 to 2003 in the F-150 pickup..." So I think the answer is yes.

Motor Trend's article entitled Ford 4R70W TCI Automatic Transmission Rebuild says "This transmission was used for 10 years: 1993 to 2003 in the F-150 pickup..." So I think the answer is yes.

Right. I read that it was in the 1995-1996 F150's behind the 5.0, but I've also read that it could be the E40D...but if that's the HD option, it would be odd to be in an otherwise plain Jane F150 with a 5.0...imho.

Right. I read that it was in the 1995-1996 F150's behind the 5.0, but I've also read that it could be the E40D...but if that's the HD option, it would be odd to be in an otherwise plain Jane F150 with a 5.0...imho.

Baumann says:

1994 and later vehicles with four speed automatic transmissions will all have an Overdrive Cancel Switch and a P-R-N-OD-2-1 shifter pattern, but may have either an E4OD or a 4R70W transmission. All 4.2L, 4.6L, and some 5.0L engines use the 4R70W transmission, while diesel, 4.9L, 5.4L, 5.8L, 6.8L, and 7.5L vehicles always use E4OD's. You can measure the transmission fluid pan to determine which transmission you have if identification information is not available. A 4R70W transmission pan has an overall length of just under 15 inches, while an E4OD pan is much larger, measuring about 20 inches in overall length.

So, apparently on a 5.0 you can have either?

Ok, that snip-it leads one to believe that it is almost certain to be a 4R70W behind a 5.0 in a 1996 F150 pickup. Thanks Gary. I mean, the 5.0 never really showed up in a "work/HD" truck anyway...so it's likely to be the Lighter Duty 4R70W, which is what I'd want anyway.

I think the stand alone controllers for them work pretty well ya?

Ok, that snip-it leads one to believe that it is almost certain to be a 4R70W behind a 5.0 in a 1996 F150 pickup. Thanks Gary. I mean, the 5.0 never really showed up in a "work/HD" truck anyway...so it's likely to be the Lighter Duty 4R70W, which is what I'd want anyway.

I think the stand alone controllers for them work pretty well ya?

From what I've heard, yes.

Baumann says:

1994 and later vehicles with four speed automatic transmissions will all have an Overdrive Cancel Switch and a P-R-N-OD-2-1 shifter pattern, but may have either an E4OD or a 4R70W transmission. All 4.2L, 4.6L, and some 5.0L engines use the 4R70W transmission, while diesel, 4.9L, 5.4L, 5.8L, 6.8L, and 7.5L vehicles always use E4OD's. You can measure the transmission fluid pan to determine which transmission you have if identification information is not available. A 4R70W transmission pan has an overall length of just under 15 inches, while an E4OD pan is much larger, measuring about 20 inches in overall length.

Ok, then I have a conundrum for you. I have my best friend's 2003 E250 with a 5.4L engine, it has a 4R70 or 4R75W automatic in it (which was rebuilt/replaced 4 times while my brother's business owned it. Engine has never been further into than a water pump and thermostat with over 600K on it.

According the Baumann it should have an E4OD or 4R100. Bronco 302s came with E4OD and 4WD, that was where I found an EEC-IV for MAF/SEFI and E4OD before I went with the EEC-V.

Part of the confusion comes from Ford changing the transmission naming conventions. For years they simply used names, like Ford-O-Matic, Cruise-O-Matic, Turbo Drive (Lincolns). Then in 1964 the new light weight 3 speed was designated C4, this was apparently based on the Ford PN system which caused almost all the parts for it to start C4xx, same with the C6 in 1966. Now is where it starts getting murky, the C3 is a very light duty European origin transmission and the C5 is a modification of the C4.

In 1980 Ford introduced the AOD for Automatic Over Drive, when it was updated to be computer controlled it became the AOD-E or AODE for AOD Electronic. In 1988 when the big overdrive unit was released it was designated E4OD for Electronic 4 speed Over Drive.

Ford and GM have both rationalized their transmission/transaxle IDs, both used a number, letter, number sequence. 4R100 = 4 speed, rear wheel drive, 100 Mkg input torque, 10R100, 10 speed etc (GM calls the same unit a 10L100 for 10 speed longitudinal etc.)

The AODE evolved into the 4R70 and later 4R75W (W stands for wide ratio). In selecting a transmission for the Flathead, any Big (240/300) six or Windsor block pattern (watch out for the early 5 bolt C4 case) will work. Since the AOD was only used one or two years behind the 300, one of them is a rare beast. 351s got them in cars in the 80s and those will have beefier internals. The 4R7x ones would be my choice but keep in mind the Flathead has more low end torque than a 302.

Ok, then I have a conundrum for you. I have my best friend's 2003 E250 with a 5.4L engine, it has a 4R70 or 4R75W automatic in it (which was rebuilt/replaced 4 times while my brother's business owned it. Engine has never been further into than a water pump and thermostat with over 600K on it.

According the Baumann it should have an E4OD or 4R100. Bronco 302s came with E4OD and 4WD, that was where I found an EEC-IV for MAF/SEFI and E4OD before I went with the EEC-V.

Part of the confusion comes from Ford changing the transmission naming conventions. For years they simply used names, like Ford-O-Matic, Cruise-O-Matic, Turbo Drive (Lincolns). Then in 1964 the new light weight 3 speed was designated C4, this was apparently based on the Ford PN system which caused almost all the parts for it to start C4xx, same with the C6 in 1966. Now is where it starts getting murky, the C3 is a very light duty European origin transmission and the C5 is a modification of the C4.

In 1980 Ford introduced the AOD for Automatic Over Drive, when it was updated to be computer controlled it became the AOD-E or AODE for AOD Electronic. In 1988 when the big overdrive unit was released it was designated E4OD for Electronic 4 speed Over Drive.

Ford and GM have both rationalized their transmission/transaxle IDs, both used a number, letter, number sequence. 4R100 = 4 speed, rear wheel drive, 100 Mkg input torque, 10R100, 10 speed etc (GM calls the same unit a 10L100 for 10 speed longitudinal etc.)

The AODE evolved into the 4R70 and later 4R75W (W stands for wide ratio). In selecting a transmission for the Flathead, any Big (240/300) six or Windsor block pattern (watch out for the early 5 bolt C4 case) will work. Since the AOD was only used one or two years behind the 300, one of them is a rare beast. 351s got them in cars in the 80s and those will have beefier internals. The 4R7x ones would be my choice but keep in mind the Flathead has more low end torque than a 302.

:nabble_anim_crazy:

But that’s why I included the info about the pan sizes. Measure to find out.