Bullnose Forums

1983 AOD 4x2 Transmission, anything I need to know?

Rembrant

Make sure you mount the motor plate on the motor before the flex plate.

I would also try the converter on the flex plate after the plate was mount to the motor, that is if the converter dose not have fluid in it.

This way you will know the converter will slip into the crank and the studs in to the flex plate with out issues.

Dave ----

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll do whatever I can to check all the fits in advance.

I did a lot of reading today on the poor fit of this flexplate, and it appears to be a somewhat common problem. The bolt circle for the studs on the converter is 11 7/16", or 11.425". Apparently the flexplates often have a bolt circle of 11 3/8", or 11.375" even though they're advertised as having 11.4", or 11.44", or 11.5" bolt circles. I can't seem to find a why...just that the fit issue exists. I talked to a friend that is a hardcore Ford nut, and he says he's had to drill those holes out many times, so that made me feel a little better about it also.

I know it's not a big deal to open up the holes a hair, but I'd still like to know why...lol. Is it a manufacturing error, or is there just a loose tolerance on the spec during manufacturing. It's not a Chinese part...but it did say made in Mexico.

PS: After cleaning up the case on the transmission, I solved at least one of the little puzzles I had ion my mind. There is a metal guard on the RH side of the transmission that protects an electrical connector, and stamped into that plate is "AODE/W". It's hardly worth discussing at this point, but I've been trying to find out whether the trans was an AODE/W, or a 4R70W. I know they're basically the same thing anyway, but it depends on who you're talking to. Some people are adamant that the 4R70W never came with the SBF bolt pattern. Others will say that they did. I guess it's either or...lol, I dunno.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll do whatever I can to check all the fits in advance.

I did a lot of reading today on the poor fit of this flexplate, and it appears to be a somewhat common problem. The bolt circle for the studs on the converter is 11 7/16", or 11.425". Apparently the flexplates often have a bolt circle of 11 3/8", or 11.375" even though they're advertised as having 11.4", or 11.44", or 11.5" bolt circles. I can't seem to find a why...just that the fit issue exists. I talked to a friend that is a hardcore Ford nut, and he says he's had to drill those holes out many times, so that made me feel a little better about it also.

I know it's not a big deal to open up the holes a hair, but I'd still like to know why...lol. Is it a manufacturing error, or is there just a loose tolerance on the spec during manufacturing. It's not a Chinese part...but it did say made in Mexico.

PS: After cleaning up the case on the transmission, I solved at least one of the little puzzles I had ion my mind. There is a metal guard on the RH side of the transmission that protects an electrical connector, and stamped into that plate is "AODE/W". It's hardly worth discussing at this point, but I've been trying to find out whether the trans was an AODE/W, or a 4R70W. I know they're basically the same thing anyway, but it depends on who you're talking to. Some people are adamant that the 4R70W never came with the SBF bolt pattern. Others will say that they did. I guess it's either or...lol, I dunno.

aode/w is the same trans used early on proving it before being introduced as a 4r70w. new trans to compliment the new modular engine line. you cannot be all new and use the same old trans ya know. that trans was in my 95 Econoline with the 5.0. worked great but developed tq converter shudder around 250k. i got tired of that and replaced it with another at 375k then used the old one as a core the aode was introduced a few years earlier in lincolns with the same gearing as the aod . the aode gave much improved gearing although i wish they had gone further to match the gear range or exceed it like gm 700r4