Bullnose Forums

1983 AOD 4x2 Transmission, anything I need to know?

Rembrant

Gents,

A friend of mine has a low mileage 2wd AOD that was removed from a 1983 F100 or F150. It was behind a 300 inline 6. I'm planning to buy it for my '52 Mercury...but I know nothing about them. I might install it behind the existing 239 Flathead (there are kits to do so) and I might swap in a roller-block 5.0...still thinking on that one.

Anything I need to know about this trans? What is needed for kickdown? Is it cable or mechanical linkage?

I'm wanting an auto trans with OD, and preferably a Ford trans that will bolt up to a small block should I decide to go that route.

I assume the speedo cable drive and everything is the same as all the other Ford transmissions of the era?

Cory - I can't answer your question. In fact, I confused myself trying to.

I went to our page (Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/Kickdown Linkage) and found that there are differences depending on the engine.

Then I went to the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/Automatic Overdrive (AOD) and on pages 2 & three found that:

Throttle Valve (TV) Control Systems

The AOD Transmission employs two different Throttle Valve (TV) Control Systems. A TV Control Rod Linkage System is used on the 5.0L (302 (CID)-2V) carbureted engine (Fig. 2). This engine will initially be available on F-150— F-250 and E-150— E-250 vehicles.

A TV Control Cable System is used on the 4.9L (300 CID) engine used in F-150 and E-150— E-250 vehicles(Fig. 3).

I went to our page (Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/Kickdown Linkage) and found that there are differences depending on the engine.

Then I went to the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/Automatic Overdrive (AOD) and on pages 2 & three found that:

The AOD Transmission employs two different Throttle Valve (TV) Control Systems. A TV Control Rod Linkage System is used on the 5.0L (302 (CID)-2V) carbureted engine (Fig. 2). This engine will initially be available on F-150— F-250 and E-150— E-250 vehicles.

A TV Control Cable System is used on the 4.9L (300 CID) engine used in F-150 and E-150— E-250 vehicles(Fig. 3).

Oops, I forgot the speedo. Yes, it stayed the same.

The "kickdown" is a TV cable. You *must* connect it to throttle or else you'll burn the transmission to the ground as the cable regulates line pressure.

They're not bad units... but if you're pushing it's limits, you'll want to swap the inner direct drive input shaft for a hardened one. Instead of a "modern" TC lockup clutch, it has twin input shafts, the inner of which directly attaches to the face of the TC. In 3rd gear it's used for a torque split with the outer shaft, and in 4th (OD) it handles all input torque. More info here (it gets very technical!): https://ateupwithmotor.com/terms-technology-definitions/split-torque-lockup-converters/6/

Gary, I thought I had done a piece on the AOD and TV cable/rod adjustments. It is supposed to be done with a spacer and pressure gauge, the rod uses a block between the TV adjustment bolt and the carburetor lever, the cable uses a slotted spacer that inserts between the cable end and the part on the linkage. Both are used to create a pressure rise at the TV test port.

In the absence of these, the old way of setting the Hydramatic TV linkage works, it is a shift feel adjustment. Too much TV pressure and it will shift late and hard and be extremely "touchy" on downshifts, too little and the shift will be early and soft (slipping). The AOD should be able to get into 4th (OD) by 45 mph with light throttle, earlier than that and it will hunt between 3rd and 4th, later and it will want to kick down when accelerating at light throttle.

If you are going EFI, a 4R70 or 75W unit (electronic AOD) could be a better choice, or use an aftermarket controller. The latter allows more flexibility in tuning the shift points.

Gary, I thought I had done a piece on the AOD and TV cable/rod adjustments. It is supposed to be done with a spacer and pressure gauge, the rod uses a block between the TV adjustment bolt and the carburetor lever, the cable uses a slotted spacer that inserts between the cable end and the part on the linkage. Both are used to create a pressure rise at the TV test port.

In the absence of these, the old way of setting the Hydramatic TV linkage works, it is a shift feel adjustment. Too much TV pressure and it will shift late and hard and be extremely "touchy" on downshifts, too little and the shift will be early and soft (slipping). The AOD should be able to get into 4th (OD) by 45 mph with light throttle, earlier than that and it will hunt between 3rd and 4th, later and it will want to kick down when accelerating at light throttle.

If you are going EFI, a 4R70 or 75W unit (electronic AOD) could be a better choice, or use an aftermarket controller. The latter allows more flexibility in tuning the shift points.

Bill - I don't remember you writing that, but if you did please send it to me again. :nabble_smiley_blush:

It was in the "Automatic transmissions" Word document. I will also send you an ATSG technical service information. The TV adjustment is spelled out and has diagrams.

Ahhh! That document. It is on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/General Automatic Transmission Service. That's because you discussed all the transmissions and that page is the only one common to all automatics.

And I added the ASTG document to the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/Automatic Overdrive (AOD). Thanks!

Ahhh! That document. It is on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/General Automatic Transmission Service. That's because you discussed all the transmissions and that page is the only one common to all automatics.

And I added the ASTG document to the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/Automatic Overdrive (AOD). Thanks!

I have an AOD sat behind my 351W in my Bronco. It replaced the C6.

The AOD is longer than the C6 so the prop shafts had to be changed.

It has taken forever to get this thing shifting right due to the bodge job the transmission shop did....

The AOD in my F150 is amazing. It had a transgo shift kit install and shifts like silk...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back into reading about transmissions. I'm liking the idea of an electronic auto (with OD) that I can operate with a stand alone tuner.

I don't want to get into custom making parts if I don't have to, but the following kit is available for my flathead:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathead-V8-to-Ford-C4-Transmission-Basic-Adapter-Kit,11051.html

So...it says for adapting to Ford C4, C6, and AOD. If it fits those three, wouldn't it also work for later electronic versions, at least up to 1996?

The E40D was from 1989-1996? I see there is also an AOD-E, and the 4R70W?

Should I be looking for a truck transmission, or a car transmission?

Any advice, good or bad?