Bullnose Forums

Camera System For Big Blue

Gary Lewis

Thanks, Dane. I checked the Kenwood site and didn't find any mirrors. But I sent them a query anyway. I've really liked the Kenwood products I've been around in the past and would love to get a name-brand product like theirs for this. I just can't find it on their site.

And speaking of queries, I sent another one to Wolfbox. And again I drew Mia as the tech. In part here's the exchange so far:

• Gary: I need two weatherproof cameras, one on the front bumper and one on the rear.

As for switching, I would want it to go to the rear camera when in reverse, meaning the backup lights are on. And to switch to the front, that could be via another trigger lead I would put a switch on, or via your menu if it was easy to do.

• Mia: If so, then you need to unplug and plug in another camera every time you want to switch cameras.

Because the screen of the unit can only display two images of a front camera and a rear camera.

• Gary: Which of your units is that? I’ll take a look at it.

• Mia: I am referring if you want to achieve this operation, you need to purchase an additional rear camera + cable.

• Gary: Thanks, but I'm confused. Which unit is it that you are recommending? Which rear camera should I purchase separately?

I don't have a lot of confidence that we are getting anywhere. What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

Kenwood is good IMO.

That’s the main reason I showed that setup.

Man, you wouldn’t think this would be so hard!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenwood is good IMO.That’s the main reason I showed that setup. Man, you wouldn’t think this would be so hard!
Yes, Kenwood is good. But I do not believe they have what I need. There website sure doesn't show it. And they've not responded.

No, it shouldn't be that hard. However, nothing is plug & play any more. There are lots and LOTS of generic cameras with RCA connectors, but none of the new systems use them.

So trying to piece something together is a nightmare. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yes, Kenwood is good. But I do not believe they have what I need. There website sure doesn't show it. And they've not responded.

No, it shouldn't be that hard. However, nothing is plug & play any more. There are lots and LOTS of generic cameras with RCA connectors, but none of the new systems use them.

So trying to piece something together is a nightmare. :nabble_smiley_cry:
Today's update is that I heard from Kenwood: "Unfortunately Kenwood does not manufacture rear view mirrors with external cameras. We apologize for the inconvenience."But I did hear back from Pormido, and learned that I don't really care for their approach to having people test. Here's what Melissa said:
1) We pay you 50% (around $100) to your paypal first.2) You purchase the product by searching our provided key words.3) You post 5 stars review with picture or video in one week after you receive the product, then we pay you all the balance amount including Paypal charges
To me that's basically "buying" reviews. So I'll just buy the model I want, which is the PORMIDO 12” Mirror Dash Cam with Detached Front Camera.I still haven't heard back from Melissa on what the dimensions are for the front camera, but I've found these waterproof plastic boxes, which have clear lids. In the pic of the camera, my understanding is the red is the adhesive used to attach it to the windshield. So I'm thinking I'd just attach it to the plastic lid, although I don't know yet if that box is the right size.Anyone have any other ideas? Suggestions?61w6lgKKvwL.thumb.jpg.254a2cd33ca41d10bd2f7805a857e248.jpgPormido_Front_Camera.jpg.e42daf6b9b6626f99dd1807ff7cfef67.jpg

Today's update is that I heard from Kenwood: "Unfortunately Kenwood does not manufacture rear view mirrors with external cameras. We apologize for the inconvenience."

But I did hear back from Pormido, and learned that I don't really care for their approach to having people test. Here's what Melissa said:

1) We pay you 50% (around $100) to your paypal first.

2) You purchase the product by searching our provided key words.

3) You post 5 stars review with picture or video in one week after you receive the product, then we pay you all the balance amount including Paypal charges

To me that's basically "buying" reviews. So I'll just buy the model I want, which is the PORMIDO 12” Mirror Dash Cam with Detached Front Camera.

I still haven't heard back from Melissa on what the dimensions are for the front camera, but I've found these waterproof plastic boxes, which have clear lids. In the pic of the camera, my understanding is the red is the adhesive used to attach it to the windshield. So I'm thinking I'd just attach it to the plastic lid, although I don't know yet if that box is the right size.

Anyone have any other ideas? Suggestions?

Too bad about Kenwood not having a mirror.

Yeah, I wouldn’t like that way of testing either. I guess some people have no qualms about it.

I like the box idea!

Today's update is that I heard from Kenwood: "Unfortunately Kenwood does not manufacture rear view mirrors with external cameras. We apologize for the inconvenience."

But I did hear back from Pormido, and learned that I don't really care for their approach to having people test. Here's what Melissa said:

3) You post 5 stars review with picture or video in one week after you receive the product, then we pay you all the balance amount including Paypal charges

To me that's basically "buying" reviews. So I'll just buy the model I want, which is the PORMIDO 12” Mirror Dash Cam with Detached Front Camera.

I still haven't heard back from Melissa on what the dimensions are for the front camera, but I've found these waterproof plastic boxes, which have clear lids. In the pic of the camera, my understanding is the red is the adhesive used to attach it to the windshield. So I'm thinking I'd just attach it to the plastic lid, although I don't know yet if that box is the right size.

Still skeptical, any way to hook a rear licence plate camera in place of the «Detached Front Camera»?

They say «both Front and Rear camera are equipped with SONY sensor IMX335 F/2.0 aperture, captures HD footage even under low light.»

So cams quality is the same, no image difference.

They also specify that Rear Camera «is waterproof and can stand well outside even under extreme temperature during 4 °F to 190°F under various climates.»

If the wiring is the same, why not hook two Rear Cameras to the mirror/monitor?

Too bad about Kenwood not having a mirror.

Yeah, I wouldn’t like that way of testing either. I guess some people have no qualms about it.

I like the box idea!

I know that Amazon has been accused of buying reviews, but apparently the vendors themselves are doing it. And I don't want to be part of it.

Anyway, watching a video of one reviewer it looks like the front camera itself is round, with the lens coming off the side as well as that column that has the red bit, that I think is adhesive, on it. And it has what looks like a 3mm plug which goes into the end of it.

So I'm thinking that I can put the 3mm plug through a waterproof gland joint through the side of the case. Attach the camera to the lid, plug the connector in, put the lid on, and then tighten the gland joint down.

As for mounting it, there is 3 1/2" of space above the winch fairlead and I might be able to attach the box there with doublesided tape. Or, I could put a bracket on the fog light bracket and attach the box to that.

I think I need to measure some more and make sure that the camera won't be the leading edge. :nabble_smiley_what:

Still skeptical, any way to hook a rear licence plate camera in place of the «Detached Front Camera»?

They say «both Front and Rear camera are equipped with SONY sensor IMX335 F/2.0 aperture, captures HD footage even under low light.»

So cams quality is the same, no image difference.

They also specify that Rear Camera «is waterproof and can stand well outside even under extreme temperature during 4 °F to 190°F under various climates.»

If the wiring is the same, why not hook two Rear Cameras to the mirror/monitor?

Melissa, from Pormido, has repeatedly told me that the system isn't capable of powering a rear camera plugged into the front camera spot. I've asked that question multiple ways, multiple times and have gotten the same answer each time. In fact, she told me that one customer did that and the system failed soon thereafter.

I don't understand why that is, but I believe her well enough not to try it. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Still skeptical, any way to hook a rear licence plate camera in place of the «Detached Front Camera»?They say «both Front and Rear camera are equipped with SONY sensor IMX335 F/2.0 aperture, captures HD footage even under low light.»So cams quality is the same, no image difference.They also specify that Rear Camera «is waterproof and can stand well outside even under extreme temperature during 4 °F to 190°F under various climates.»If the wiring is the same, why not hook two Rear Cameras to the mirror/monitor?
Jeff - You caused me to rethink this, and I'm coming around to your way of thinking. Both cameras are using Sony IMX335 chips, although with different lenses to get the different angles. So, how can the rear camera hurt the electronics if it is put in place of the front camera?Given that, here's my latest "cunning plan", and I'd like y'all to comment:
  1. Order the 998 system with just the two cameras, front and rear.
  2. Cut the cable to the front camera, which has to be done anyway as the cable is far too short to reach the front bumper, and measure the current required to run it.
  3. Somehow measure the current required to run the rear camera. The cable that comes with it is 33' long, so I'll probably want to shorten it anyway.
  4. If the current to run the front camera is reasonably close to that required to run the rear camera, order an extra Pormido New Backup Camera for D50 PR998
  5. If the current is much greater for the rear camera then install the front camera in a plastic box.

Thoughts? I'm about ready to order, so would appreciate your input.

Reading at their specifications, seems that you do not have to cut front wire to extend it:

4F206B18-3545-4FD8-B259-AF8BA35CA913.jpeg.4475e174984bf68116a078522b3a74e1.jpeg

I would buy an extension cord and see if plugs are the same for front and rear cams, and first simply playing around changing plug position of the two.

Not clear for me if they have identical plugs:

ED9B03D3-1942-40A4-A79B-F309D2529AB3.jpeg.4c4e0ad179c092821d1a2c199697551f.jpeg

Reading at that text, seems that a user can plug the reverse cam in the wrong outlet? And if so, what do they call "well recognized": Meaning not working at all, or will not display the colored guidelines? Not clear...

Reading at their specifications, seems that you do not have to cut front wire to extend it:

I would buy an extension cord and see if plugs are the same for front and rear cams, and first simply playing around changing plug position of the two.

Not clear for me if they have identical plugs:

Reading at that text, seems that a user can plug the reverse cam in the wrong outlet? And if so, what do they call "well recognized": Meaning not working at all, or will not display the colored guidelines? Not clear...

Well spotted, Jeff! I hadn't seen the front camera extension. However, I'm doubting that 10' will be long enough if I have to use the front camera.

Having said that, I may get them to throw one of those in as they've indicated they might do something for me. I'll give it a try.

But they've told me that the front and rear cameras have different connectors, so I don't think that means you can put one where the other goes. However, the Amazon listing for that extension says "PORMIDO 2 Meters Extension Cable for PR998 D50 Front Camera Room Camera". So it works for those two cameras if you order the D50 system, which is the same as the PR998 but has an added camera to watch the people in the vehicle. So at least those two cameras have the same plug. :nabble_anim_confused:

As for "well recognized", I suspect that was literally lost in translation. I think the "do not flip over" bit refers to ensuring the front camera's connection is on the left side of the camera. Otherwise the image will be upside down, which might cause some "recognition" problems in the software.

And speaking of upside down, there's a note somewhere about installing the rear camera upside down, and if you do want to do that get their firmware for that. So I've asked and they'll send me that firmware once I order. Thought it might be helpful, but don't know that I'll need to mount the rear camera that way. Nor do I know if it works on the front camera, but I've asked.