Bullnose Forums

Camera System For Big Blue

Gary Lewis

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I’d better get the pictures. I see this one isn’t a mirror, but they may have one.

Thanks, Dane. I checked the Kenwood site and didn't find any mirrors. But I sent them a query anyway. I've really liked the Kenwood products I've been around in the past and would love to get a name-brand product like theirs for this. I just can't find it on their site.

And speaking of queries, I sent another one to Wolfbox. And again I drew Mia as the tech. In part here's the exchange so far:

• Gary: I need two weatherproof cameras, one on the front bumper and one on the rear.

As for switching, I would want it to go to the rear camera when in reverse, meaning the backup lights are on. And to switch to the front, that could be via another trigger lead I would put a switch on, or via your menu if it was easy to do.

• Mia: If so, then you need to unplug and plug in another camera every time you want to switch cameras.

Because the screen of the unit can only display two images of a front camera and a rear camera.

• Gary: Which of your units is that? I’ll take a look at it.

• Mia: I am referring if you want to achieve this operation, you need to purchase an additional rear camera + cable.

• Gary: Thanks, but I'm confused. Which unit is it that you are recommending? Which rear camera should I purchase separately?

I don't have a lot of confidence that we are getting anywhere. What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks, Dane. I checked the Kenwood site and didn't find any mirrors. But I sent them a query anyway. I've really liked the Kenwood products I've been around in the past and would love to get a name-brand product like theirs for this. I just can't find it on their site.

And speaking of queries, I sent another one to Wolfbox. And again I drew Mia as the tech. In part here's the exchange so far:

• Gary: I need two weatherproof cameras, one on the front bumper and one on the rear.

As for switching, I would want it to go to the rear camera when in reverse, meaning the backup lights are on. And to switch to the front, that could be via another trigger lead I would put a switch on, or via your menu if it was easy to do.

• Mia: If so, then you need to unplug and plug in another camera every time you want to switch cameras.

Because the screen of the unit can only display two images of a front camera and a rear camera.

• Gary: Which of your units is that? I’ll take a look at it.

• Mia: I am referring if you want to achieve this operation, you need to purchase an additional rear camera + cable.

• Gary: Thanks, but I'm confused. Which unit is it that you are recommending? Which rear camera should I purchase separately?

I don't have a lot of confidence that we are getting anywhere. What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

Gary, not forgetting you!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Last weekend, had to prepare for that storm (complete tractor prep, chains, blower, etc).

I'll come back with more info about my mirror/cam setup.

For now, I verified the monitor size and can confirm that the cam image is 7" wide, mirror is about 9 1/2" in its wider.

36AFF6AB-0E6A-4A17-B721-FFB74F65C477.jpeg.d06afc47185d76bb57e7f688c498d8d5.jpeg

DA51C659-8C2B-4B05-8BE6-FE1309AF71E5.jpeg.da30271edebe2f449eef6afb78d54ad8.jpeg

Gary, not forgetting you!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Last weekend, had to prepare for that storm (complete tractor prep, chains, blower, etc).

I'll come back with more info about my mirror/cam setup.

For now, I verified the monitor size and can confirm that the cam image is 7" wide, mirror is about 9 1/2" in its wider.

Jeff - Thanks.

I'm NOT finding much out there that fits my needs. And your system would, although I was hoping for a wider display and higher resolution. But something is far better than nothing, which is what I have. So I do have a few questions for you:

• Resolution: You said "the image quality is not as clear as my other "modern" vehicles", but is it clear enough?

• Wiring: Did you have to run power to the camera in addition to the video wire? This isn't mentioned in the owner's manual, and I've found two different versions of the manual online.

• Buying: Where did you get it and at what price? I'm finding a wide range of prices and a lot of "no longer available".

• Camera: What camera did you get? It doesn't appear to come with cameras - or am I wrong on that?

• Recommendation: Would you recommend this unit and camera? Or should I keep looking?

Jeff - Thanks.

I'm NOT finding much out there that fits my needs. And your system would, although I was hoping for a wider display and higher resolution. But something is far better than nothing, which is what I have. So I do have a few questions for you:

• Resolution: You said "the image quality is not as clear as my other "modern" vehicles", but is it clear enough?

• Wiring: Did you have to run power to the camera in addition to the video wire? This isn't mentioned in the owner's manual, and I've found two different versions of the manual online.

• Buying: Where did you get it and at what price? I'm finding a wide range of prices and a lot of "no longer available".

• Camera: What camera did you get? It doesn't appear to come with cameras - or am I wrong on that?

• Recommendation: Would you recommend this unit and camera? Or should I keep looking?

OK, referring to manuals that came with the stock, some pictures I took during installation and bit of memory, here is this info:

Mirror/monitor and cameras are sold separately. My devices:

- Mirror/monitor = TE-RM7 (1280x480)

- License plate camera = TE-BPTC (720x480)

Mirror-monitor:

- Needs 12V (+) power and ground (-)

- Linked to each camera via RCA yellow jack

- Linked to each camera trigger (in my case, trigger = reverse switch)

Camera:

- Needs 12V (+) power (in my case, reverse lights wire)

- Needs ground (-)

- Linked to mirror/monitor via RCA yellow jack

So, in my case, when transmission is put in reverse, the mirror/monitor turns "on" (via the reverse switch trigger) and my reverse cam turns "on" too (via the reverse lights (+) wire).

I suppose that, if you install a front camera, you should be able to use the same 12V positive trigger to turn "on" the camera and the mirror/monitor at same time.

See picture of my email to support guy. Answer is short, he suggests to use same model of camera for front use. Not sure... What about the "mirrored" image behaviour? If I had a second cam, I would try and test. They sale other cameras models:

https://ibeamusa.com/products?category=I-CAMERA

Camera wiring:

Cam_Wiring.thumb.jpg.6965fff293b7235daeaf09ff6bcbd4c4.jpg

Mirror/monitor wiring:

Mirror_Wiring.jpg.b0e58365e11ff3e8212ac164e5bafd9e.jpg

Tech email:

email.jpg.d8941997d09726afa7e5af0049011557.jpg

OK, referring to manuals that came with the stock, some pictures I took during installation and bit of memory, here is this info:

Mirror/monitor and cameras are sold separately. My devices:

- Mirror/monitor = TE-RM7 (1280x480)

- License plate camera = TE-BPTC (720x480)

Mirror-monitor:

- Needs 12V (+) power and ground (-)

- Linked to each camera via RCA yellow jack

- Linked to each camera trigger (in my case, trigger = reverse switch)

Camera:

- Needs 12V (+) power (in my case, reverse lights wire)

- Needs ground (-)

- Linked to mirror/monitor via RCA yellow jack

So, in my case, when transmission is put in reverse, the mirror/monitor turns "on" (via the reverse switch trigger) and my reverse cam turns "on" too (via the reverse lights (+) wire).

I suppose that, if you install a front camera, you should be able to use the same 12V positive trigger to turn "on" the camera and the mirror/monitor at same time.

See picture of my email to support guy. Answer is short, he suggests to use same model of camera for front use. Not sure... What about the "mirrored" image behaviour? If I had a second cam, I would try and test. They sale other cameras models:

https://ibeamusa.com/products?category=I-CAMERA

Camera wiring:

Mirror/monitor wiring:

Tech email:

To complete:

I bought these from NAPA.

I am plenty satisfied, ALTHOUGH I had some issue with the windshield adaptor. The mirror comes with a "Universal" shape that doesn't fit Ford. I had to buy an adapter (TE-MM09), which is not exactly the shape of the anchor that came with my new windsheild:

https://ibeamusa.com/product/TE-MM09

My goal was to NOT have a dash monitor, wanted to keep Big Brother as original as possible. Kept my original radio too, and had it "modernized" to enable bluetooth and hands free phone. This "mirror/monitor" was perfect for my purposes.

Maybe there is better products out there... Can't say.

To complete:

I bought these from NAPA.

I am plenty satisfied, ALTHOUGH I had some issue with the windshield adaptor. The mirror comes with a "Universal" shape that doesn't fit Ford. I had to buy an adapter (TE-MM09), which is not exactly the shape of the anchor that came with my new windsheild:

https://ibeamusa.com/product/TE-MM09

My goal was to NOT have a dash monitor, wanted to keep Big Brother as original as possible. Kept my original radio too, and had it "modernized" to enable bluetooth and hands free phone. This "mirror/monitor" was perfect for my purposes.

Maybe there is better products out there... Can't say.

Jeff - Thanks a bunch!

I’m out and about, and will report on what I’ve found when I get home. And I’m emailing with various companies as well, and will hopefully have something to report from them by then.

Jeff - Thanks.

Ok, home and time for an update.

• Crutchfield: Early this morning I sent Nate @ Crutchfield another message, reminding him what I'm trying to do and explaining that his recommended pick didn't really fit the bill, but is no longer available. To which he responded "Let me take a look around and I will respond back with an recommendation."

• Wolfbox: Mia said "I recommend you to buy this G840S ASIN: B0811Q28N6 Rear camera ASIN: B09H5KBK9X This separate rear camera does not have a cable. If you buy it, we will send you a cable for free." I've thanked her, but from what I can tell I'll have to install a switch to select which camera to use. But, since the rear camera is normally reversed I'd have to also go into the menu and change that setting each time I wanted to see forward, and that's too fiddly.

• Best Buy: Mike, one of the salesmen, talked to me extensively about this. We went through all of the offerings they have and didn't find anything that would work. But, I noticed that they sell iBeam, which is what you have, Jeff. I got the model # of your mirror and he looked it up. They can get it, but they've never carried it in the store and he knows nothing about it.

So he took me back to the installer's bay and we talked to Travis, their head installer. He didn't know of anything like what I'm looking for, and had never seen your iBeam. But he looked its specs over closely and said it looks like it is several iterations old given the 1280 pixels horizontally. However, he then realized that it doesn't come with a camera, and the recommended camera is only 720p, as you found, and is $100. So two of those and the unit itself, which goes for $410 from them, is pushing $700 with tax.

We then talked about the 12"/4000 pixel Pormido that I've been looking at, the new one with a waterproof rear camera and a detached "front" camera that isn't waterproof, and their recommendation was to go with it and figure out how to waterproof the front camera. Especially since it lists at $200 and comes with both cameras.

• Pormido: So I emailed Melissa and told her that I've re-re-re-considered and am seriously considering their new 4K unit. And, I asked for drawing, pictures, and/or dimensions for their "front" camera.

And now for some thinking of mine. Jeff, your statement about the display not being all that crisp worries me. So I did some research and playing with the dimensions and specs and came to the realization that:

• 720P: These cameras have 1,280×720 pixels, so on a 7.3" screen like the iBeam has there would be 175 pixels per inch.

• 2.5K: This is what the current Pormido system has, and there are 2,560×1,440 pixels. So on their 12" screen there would be 213 pixels per inch.

• 4K: The new Pormido system is to have this rating, which has 3,840×2,160 pixels. And it also has a 12" screen so it'll have 320 pixels/inch.

So basically the 4K screen will have almost twice as many pixels per inch as yours and be 63% wider. I'm thinking that would probably be enough to make it "crisp", and that plus the price difference makes it worth figuring out how to waterproof the front camera.

And speaking of the cameras, here's a screenshot of the front camera on the left and the rear camera on the right.

Pormido_Front__Rear_Cameras.thumb.jpg.96ee9fc0ee0d2918a0b85e5ba828eaf3.jpg

Ok, home and time for an update.

• Crutchfield: Early this morning I sent Nate @ Crutchfield another message, reminding him what I'm trying to do and explaining that his recommended pick didn't really fit the bill, but is no longer available. To which he responded "Let me take a look around and I will respond back with an recommendation."

• Wolfbox: Mia said "I recommend you to buy this G840S ASIN: B0811Q28N6 Rear camera ASIN: B09H5KBK9X This separate rear camera does not have a cable. If you buy it, we will send you a cable for free." I've thanked her, but from what I can tell I'll have to install a switch to select which camera to use. But, since the rear camera is normally reversed I'd have to also go into the menu and change that setting each time I wanted to see forward, and that's too fiddly.

• Best Buy: Mike, one of the salesmen, talked to me extensively about this. We went through all of the offerings they have and didn't find anything that would work. But, I noticed that they sell iBeam, which is what you have, Jeff. I got the model # of your mirror and he looked it up. They can get it, but they've never carried it in the store and he knows nothing about it.

So he took me back to the installer's bay and we talked to Travis, their head installer. He didn't know of anything like what I'm looking for, and had never seen your iBeam. But he looked its specs over closely and said it looks like it is several iterations old given the 1280 pixels horizontally. However, he then realized that it doesn't come with a camera, and the recommended camera is only 720p, as you found, and is $100. So two of those and the unit itself, which goes for $410 from them, is pushing $700 with tax.

We then talked about the 12"/4000 pixel Pormido that I've been looking at, the new one with a waterproof rear camera and a detached "front" camera that isn't waterproof, and their recommendation was to go with it and figure out how to waterproof the front camera. Especially since it lists at $200 and comes with both cameras.

• Pormido: So I emailed Melissa and told her that I've re-re-re-considered and am seriously considering their new 4K unit. And, I asked for drawing, pictures, and/or dimensions for their "front" camera.

And now for some thinking of mine. Jeff, your statement about the display not being all that crisp worries me. So I did some research and playing with the dimensions and specs and came to the realization that:

• 720P: These cameras have 1,280×720 pixels, so on a 7.3" screen like the iBeam has there would be 175 pixels per inch.

• 2.5K: This is what the current Pormido system has, and there are 2,560×1,440 pixels. So on their 12" screen there would be 213 pixels per inch.

• 4K: The new Pormido system is to have this rating, which has 3,840×2,160 pixels. And it also has a 12" screen so it'll have 320 pixels/inch.

So basically the 4K screen will have almost twice as many pixels per inch as yours and be 63% wider. I'm thinking that would probably be enough to make it "crisp", and that plus the price difference makes it worth figuring out how to waterproof the front camera.

And speaking of the cameras, here's a screenshot of the front camera on the left and the rear camera on the right.

Pormido sounds good. Can't it accept any camera? (for iBeam, I think understand that any RCA cam could be hooked).

Would be nice if you could buy Pormido's monitor and any cams of your choice. So, any super-heavy-duty-external-warerproof front cam could do the job.

Or maybe a second Pormido´s rear cam facing front?

Pormido sounds good. Can't it accept any camera? (for iBeam, I think understand that any RCA cam could be hooked).

Would be nice if you could buy Pormido's monitor and any cams of your choice. So, any super-heavy-duty-external-warerproof front cam could do the job.

Or maybe a second Pormido´s rear cam facing front?

That's a major difference between your system and everything else now on the market. Yours has RCA connectors and should be able to take any camera with those connectors. But now everything has proprietary connectors, usually little 4 or 5-pin jobs that are different from one camera to the next.

For instance, on the Pormido that has both a front (meant for inside use) and rear (waterproofed) camera has two different connectors for the two different cameras, preventing you from swapping them. And when I asked if I could buy a 2nd rear camera and replace its connector with the connector from the front camera I was told that it would probably fry the electronics in the display.

I've had a hard time believing that, but I asked more than once and got that answer both times. And having thought about it, I wondered if there are LEDs in the rearview camera. But looking at the picture of it above I don't think so. Given that, I'm still wondering why I can't just use two rear cameras. It would sure make it easier. But I'm afraid of burning out the unit. :nabble_smiley_cry: