Bullnose Forums

4180C Idle Mixture Setting Procedure?

Looking for correct idle mixture setting procedue.

In SECTION 4-Carburetors, Fuel Charging Assemblies and Throttle Bodies of my 1986 CAR/TRUCK SHOP MANUAL ENGINE/EMISSION DIAGNOSIS (VOLUME H) the Idle Mixture Setting Procedures (page 4-83) describe a propane enrichment method for "Truck, Under 8500 GVW: 5.8L w/4180-4V."

However, my Bullnose is 8600 GVW: 7.5L w/4180C-4V and on page 4-82 it states

...Propane Enrichment Procedures Are Not Applicable For The Following: CFI Applications; EFI Applications; TRUCK OVER 8500 GVW APPLICATIONS...

Problem is that there is no Idle Mixture Setting Procedure described anywhere in Section 4 applicable to my 8600 GVW vehicle.

Since air cleaner assembly must be moved out of way to access mixture screws (allowing too much air), I believe a propane enrichment procedure is necessary to make proper idle mixture adjustment.

Much abliged for any help with proper procedure - can't find it anywhere.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Bullnose Forum. :nabble_anim_handshake:I assume that Section 4-82 is in the 1986 factory shop manual - correct?I believe I have a training document that outlines that procedure. I'll look in a bit when I get out to the shop.
Wow!  Thanks for the quick reply, Gary!

Correct.  SECTION 4 of my 1986 SHOP MANUAL ENGINE/EMISSION DIAGNOSIS (VOLUME H) the Idle Mixture Setting Procedures (pages 4-82 and 4-83)

By the way, 7thSon is the name of my Bullnose  (7th generation F250) and my name's Joe.

Thanks again for the effort!

On Jun 19, 2018 3:44 AM, "Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <redacted_email_address> wrote:

While I do try to help out answering questions on the various Facebook groups, my first priority is to this forum. And on Facebook I'll refer people to the correct page on the website, but for members of this forum I'll actually add pages to the website. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, thanks for the explanation on the name of your truck as well as your "handle".

Also, where are you located? We have a Members Map that shows where some of the folks are, and I'll add you if you want. Just give me the city and your first name, although that isn't required.

While I do try to help out answering questions on the various Facebook groups, my first priority is to this forum. And on Facebook I'll refer people to the correct page on the website, but for members of this forum I'll actually add pages to the website. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, thanks for the explanation on the name of your truck as well as your "handle".

Also, where are you located? We have a Members Map that shows where some of the folks are, and I'll add you if you want. Just give me the city and your first name, although that isn't required.

Absolutely! Put me on the Member Map as Mojo in Oceanside, California.

Absolutely! Put me on the Member Map as Mojo in Oceanside, California.

You are, literally, on the map.

As for the 4180C tuning, you are causing me great difficulty! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously, I have a series of Ford training manuals and I'm in the process of scanning the one shown below. But, at some where near 90 pages it'll take a while. And, I'm not sure it has what you need. But, it is the best I have.

Front_Cover.thumb.jpg.7aafef91ce44dec80db3724ba2d40a35.jpg

You are, literally, on the map.As for the 4180C tuning, you are causing me great difficulty! :nabble_smiley_evil:Seriously, I have a series of Ford training manuals and I'm in the process of scanning the one shown below. But, at some where near 90 pages it'll take a while. And, I'm not sure it has what you need. But, it is the best I have.
Don't make me hug you, man!  Can't thank you enough, Gary.

Thanks for putting me on the map, aswell.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018, 9:32 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Don't get too grateful until you see what I've got. It is here: Fuel Systems/1985-1986 Fuel System Adjustments.

Take a peek, but I'm not quite done as there are additional pages that I need to add. But, that's the beauty of the new approach - I can work in the background on the files while you use them in the foreground. And, next time you refresh the page you'll get the updates. :nabble_anim_working:

Hope it is what you need, but please let me know - either way.

Oh yes, the file is currently 33 Mb, and will get a bit bigger as I add the pages that aren't in there yet. So, it'll take some time to load.

Don't get too grateful until you see what I've got. It is here: Fuel Systems/1985-1986 Fuel System Adjustments.

Take a peek, but I'm not quite done as there are additional pages that I need to add. But, that's the beauty of the new approach - I can work in the background on the files while you use them in the foreground. And, next time you refresh the page you'll get the updates. :nabble_anim_working:

Hope it is what you need, but please let me know - either way.

Oh yes, the file is currently 33 Mb, and will get a bit bigger as I add the pages that aren't in there yet. So, it'll take some time to load.

Having now read through it, I don't think it is the silver bullet for which you are looking. Sorry. But, it is the best I have. I've even read through the '85 shop manual's instructions thinking it might have something different than the '86 one, but it reads the same.

Perhaps Bill Vose can help?

Having now read through it, I don't think it is the silver bullet for which you are looking. Sorry. But, it is the best I have. I've even read through the '85 shop manual's instructions thinking it might have something different than the '86 one, but it reads the same.Perhaps Bill Vose can help?
Yeah the training manual also states that propane enrichment not applicable to GVW > 8500# - and I don'the see an alternative procedure for GVW>8500 in there either.

Can I contact Bill Vose through Garagemahal member directory?

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018, 1:39 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote: