Bullnose Forums

1985 F-150 5.0 (EFI) running issues

Giraffe

I’ve been tinkering with the truck off and on for a while. I believe I finally solved the issue.

I was working on the truck the other day when I decided to start it up. Though it had been running on a couple of hours earlier, it didn’t want to start; it sounded like the battery didn’t have enough charge. It would barely turn over the engine. I jumped it using the family car. It started and idled fine.

It started idling badly again as soon as I went to remove the cables. I did some more troubleshooting from there and decided to replace the alternator. One reman unit from O’Reilly later (that just happened to have begun its life as a Motorcraft unit), and it’s running fantastic. No more dying when it’s warmed up.

I’ve been driving it every day for the past week. The new TFI module also appears to have fixed the sputtering/dying when hot issue.

There may be a second fuel filter in your system that needs to be changed. it is after the high pressure fuel pump between the pump and the engine, my EFI Bronco has two filters. I know you said it was running good now with changing the TFI, but you might want to change the other filter too.