Bullnose Forums

Gary's Trip To Ouray

Gary Lewis

Thanks, Jonathan. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm home and am processing pictures. Lots of pics. :nabble_smiley_wink:

In total it looks like we traveled 1950 miles. I've not yet gassed up to get the final figures, but we got ~11+ MPG on the road running ~70 MPH on speed control, both of which hurt the gas mileage. (Almost typed "economy" but 11 MPG seems to be far from economical.) But on the trails it was more like 3 MPG.

And other than the carburetion issue and the door hitting the fender we had no problems. Oh yes, the built-in GMRS radio doesn't work well, and I'm guessing that there's something awry in the antenna lead I shortened. But the two handhelds let us communicate with Mike pretty well, so we got by.

I hope to post some pics and details of each day tomorrow.

Yikes!!! 🥴 3 mpg is a LOT of fuel! At a certain level of backroad difficulty an hour meter might be a better reflection of efficiency than miles though. Hopefully you will share this thread with the previous owner so he can vicariously enjoy the success of the project truck that he was unable to finish?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes!!! 🥴 3 mpg is a LOT of fuel! At a certain level of backroad difficulty an hour meter might be a better reflection of efficiency than miles though. Hopefully you will share this thread with the previous owner so he can vicariously enjoy the success of the project truck that he was unable to finish?

Jonathan, Gary had tried numerous times.

I'm only a little surprised by the (lack of) economy. When I was in Ouray with my Bronco in 2018 my mileage on the 3 tanks I checked was 6.7, 4.8 and 5.5 mpg, for an overall average of 5.7 mpg. You don't get good mileage when creeping over rocks or up hills while standing on the throttle quite a bit. And running at 10,000 - 13,000 feet elevation with a carb set for 1000 feet doesn't help either.

Still, I got almost twice the mileage you got. Yes, I have a smaller vehicle and a smaller engine, so maybe that's it. But I only get about 14 mpg normally, which isn't twice what you get. So 3 does seem a little surprising to me.

Hopefully your eventual EFI conversion will help!

David is right, I've tried to contact Vernon and he's not responding. :nabble_smiley_cry:

As for MPG, my spreadsheet is below. Note that I've not filled up here in Skiatook yet, so there's a cell that shows Div/0. Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow, but haven't been feeling well today so am taking it easy.

In the spreadsheet you'll see the Total Tank(s) columns in blue and the MPG for each "tank". But in the green columns I've determined how many "highway" miles we put on during those four days in the mountains, such as driving from Ouray to the trail head, and assumed we got 11 MPG for those miles. I then determined how many gallons that would have taken and subtracted that from the gallons for those stops, which gives me the gallons used on the mountain trails. And that let me calculate the info in the tan columns.

Note that the first two days on the trails the guestimate is that we got about 2 1/2 MPG, but after I blew the idle passages out before we started the third day the trail MPG jumped up to about 4. And, the truck ran much better - even though it was still jetted for 1000 feet.

But I do think the EFI will help a bunch, both in the MPG as well as the running. However I doubt that I'll be seeing 6 MPG out of such a heavy vehicle with a big engine.

.... However I doubt that I'll be seeing 6 MPG out of such a heavy vehicle with a big engine.

But you're already there, at least by my reckoning. My calculations were for the total tank, including whatever highway miles we drove. I haven't bothered to break out the difference. But if I did I'd probably be close to your numbers too.

David is right, I've tried to contact Vernon and he's not responding. :nabble_smiley_cry:

As for MPG, my spreadsheet is below. Note that I've not filled up here in Skiatook yet, so there's a cell that shows Div/0. Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow, but haven't been feeling well today so am taking it easy.

In the spreadsheet you'll see the Total Tank(s) columns in blue and the MPG for each "tank". But in the green columns I've determined how many "highway" miles we put on during those four days in the mountains, such as driving from Ouray to the trail head, and assumed we got 11 MPG for those miles. I then determined how many gallons that would have taken and subtracted that from the gallons for those stops, which gives me the gallons used on the mountain trails. And that let me calculate the info in the tan columns.

Note that the first two days on the trails the guestimate is that we got about 2 1/2 MPG, but after I blew the idle passages out before we started the third day the trail MPG jumped up to about 4. And, the truck ran much better - even though it was still jetted for 1000 feet.

But I do think the EFI will help a bunch, both in the MPG as well as the running. However I doubt that I'll be seeing 6 MPG out of such a heavy vehicle with a big engine.

I checked my 94 F250 with the 460 , after driving around town one particularly bad winter, i.e., slow, always in 4WD. I got 6.6 MPG! :nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

I checked my 94 F250 with the 460 , after driving around town one particularly bad winter, i.e., slow, always in 4WD.

I got 6.6 MPG! :nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

Sounds like I got about what should be expected. POOR! Especially when the 6.6 is probably "on the level" and the 4 is going up very steep slopes in 4Low, frequently in 2nd or 3rd gear.

However, I'm going to guess that EFI is going to make quite a difference as the AFR was way rich at all times. Maybe I'll get up to 6 MPG? That would be significant as the 4 gives me a range of 4 x 38 = 152 miles and 6 would be 228 miles. The extra 76 miles would come in really handy in an overlanding adventure.

Another thing that EFI should do is give me a more stable idle, stronger low RPM power, and easier starts. The idle was low when at the top of the passes and the engine didn't pull really well if you got it below 1300 RPM. And if you killed it or turned it off it spun a bit to get started - especially if you were on a steep angle.

But all in all the engine performed quite well, save for the 2nd day when the carb was messed up. We were pleased with how well it did after blowing the carb out. We could climb anything, and usually in 3rd gear, although at times we had to go into 2nd just to go slowly enough to safely navigate the rocks. And cresting some of the ridges we'd go into 1st since we couldn't see over them so wanted to be going slowly in case someone else was coming up the other side.

Having said that, you could hear us coming for quite a ways. The sweet sound of the exhaust announced us fairly well, but the whine of the cooling fan frequently drowned the exhaust out completely. The fan comes in somewhere around 206 degrees, but it does so gently enough that you don't notice it immediately. And then you realize that you sound like a giant vacuum cleaner. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That and the size of the truck seemed to be a bit unsettling to the oncoming drivers. They were quick to pull over and give us room! We'd come around a corner and everyone pulled over, regardless of whether we were going uphill or down. :nabble_smiley_oh:

In fact, thinking of that, we only met one other truck our size in 4 days of 'wheeling, and it wasn't on a really serious trail. People frequently took our picture as we went by, and on top of Engineer Pass a lady took our pic and Mike heard her say "Why?" My answer would have been "Because!" :nabble_smiley_evil:

Sounds like I got about what should be expected. POOR! Especially when the 6.6 is probably "on the level" and the 4 is going up very steep slopes in 4Low, frequently in 2nd or 3rd gear.

However, I'm going to guess that EFI is going to make quite a difference as the AFR was way rich at all times. Maybe I'll get up to 6 MPG? That would be significant as the 4 gives me a range of 4 x 38 = 152 miles and 6 would be 228 miles. The extra 76 miles would come in really handy in an overlanding adventure.

Another thing that EFI should do is give me a more stable idle, stronger low RPM power, and easier starts. The idle was low when at the top of the passes and the engine didn't pull really well if you got it below 1300 RPM. And if you killed it or turned it off it spun a bit to get started - especially if you were on a steep angle.

But all in all the engine performed quite well, save for the 2nd day when the carb was messed up. We were pleased with how well it did after blowing the carb out. We could climb anything, and usually in 3rd gear, although at times we had to go into 2nd just to go slowly enough to safely navigate the rocks. And cresting some of the ridges we'd go into 1st since we couldn't see over them so wanted to be going slowly in case someone else was coming up the other side.

Having said that, you could hear us coming for quite a ways. The sweet sound of the exhaust announced us fairly well, but the whine of the cooling fan frequently drowned the exhaust out completely. The fan comes in somewhere around 206 degrees, but it does so gently enough that you don't notice it immediately. And then you realize that you sound like a giant vacuum cleaner. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That and the size of the truck seemed to be a bit unsettling to the oncoming drivers. They were quick to pull over and give us room! We'd come around a corner and everyone pulled over, regardless of whether we were going uphill or down. :nabble_smiley_oh:

In fact, thinking of that, we only met one other truck our size in 4 days of 'wheeling, and it wasn't on a really serious trail. People frequently took our picture as we went by, and on top of Engineer Pass a lady took our pic and Mike heard her say "Why?" My answer would have been "Because!" :nabble_smiley_evil:

Ok, the results are in on the last tank of fuel and the spreadsheet has been updated. (See above.)

For the highway miles we got 11.3 MPG driving 70 and 75 for the most part, although obviously not in the Ouray area due to the switchbacks, climbs, etc. I then dialed that into the highway portion of the tanks when we 'wheeled and that brought the 'wheeling MPG down a bit, for an average of 3.08 MPG.

But, the 11.3 is probably not accurate for those miles around Ouray, so I played with it a bit. At 10 MPG on the highway there the average 'wheeling MPG is 3.24, and at 9 MPG on the highway the average 'wheeling is 3.41. However the interesting thing is that at 9 MPG on the highway, which may be fairly accurate given the amount of third gear climbing done, the two bad 'wheeling days are 2.7 MPG and the two good days are 4.3 MPG.

So I'm thinking that 4 MPG is probably about right for 'wheeling, and 11 MPG is pretty close on the highway - at 70 MPH and with the speed control on. And those last two are important because at 65 and manually controlling the throttle I'm sure it would turn in at least 12 MPG. In fact, there are two tanks where we had reduced speeds and weren't able to use speed control much, and those came in right at 12 MPG.

Anyway, 460's are thirsty. But they get the job done! :nabble_smiley_wink:

.... the whine of the cooling fan frequently drowned the exhaust out completely. The fan comes in somewhere around 206 degrees, but it does so gently enough that you don't notice it immediately. And then you realize that you sound like a giant vacuum cleaner. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I've heard that enough in other vehicles (including new Jeeps) that I refuse to have an electric fan on my trail rig. I know it can be more effective, but I'll do everything I can to resolve any cooling issues while keeping the mechanical fan before accepting that noise (and I don't have any cooling issues now). And no, I'm not saying that anyone who goes with an electric fan is making the wrong choice. It's just a choice I really don't want to make.

In my experience usually people on trails are pretty good about figuring out pretty quickly who will have the easiest time making room, and if it's them they will, even if they "should" have the right-of-way. Most people are just out there to have fun anyway, and getting in right-of-way arguments is never fun.

Doesn't surprise me! I see a few full-size trucks, but not many. Most are the "tour busses" that you can get "Jeep" rides in. You see them on Black Bear as well as occasionally some other trails in Ouray, but a lot more often around Moab (I've even seen an WWII 6x6 there!). Of course those drivers know the trails and have tons of experience.

But yeah, why take a full size truck on the trail? The same reason anyone would take any vehicle on the trail: it's fun! There's really no other point to it anyway!

.... the whine of the cooling fan frequently drowned the exhaust out completely. The fan comes in somewhere around 206 degrees, but it does so gently enough that you don't notice it immediately. And then you realize that you sound like a giant vacuum cleaner. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I've heard that enough in other vehicles (including new Jeeps) that I refuse to have an electric fan on my trail rig. I know it can be more effective, but I'll do everything I can to resolve any cooling issues while keeping the mechanical fan before accepting that noise (and I don't have any cooling issues now). And no, I'm not saying that anyone who goes with an electric fan is making the wrong choice. It's just a choice I really don't want to make.

In my experience usually people on trails are pretty good about figuring out pretty quickly who will have the easiest time making room, and if it's them they will, even if they "should" have the right-of-way. Most people are just out there to have fun anyway, and getting in right-of-way arguments is never fun.

Doesn't surprise me! I see a few full-size trucks, but not many. Most are the "tour busses" that you can get "Jeep" rides in. You see them on Black Bear as well as occasionally some other trails in Ouray, but a lot more often around Moab (I've even seen an WWII 6x6 there!). Of course those drivers know the trails and have tons of experience.

But yeah, why take a full size truck on the trail? The same reason anyone would take any vehicle on the trail: it's fun! There's really no other point to it anyway!

Bob - I'm still running the factory engine-driven cooling fan on Big Blue. And it apparently moves a LOT of air as it has a serious sound to it when it is engaged. But it isn't as high-pitched as the electric fans on all of the other vehicles, including Jeeps, Toyotas, etc. In any event, it works and we had absolutely no cooling problems on the trip.

Having said that, we did have a "cooling system" issue. Several mornings I found the coolant recovery bottle down ~16 ounces, and found tracks in the dust under it. So it looks like the lid to the reservoir is leaking coolant as we bounce our way down the trail and the coolant splashes around. I know the lid isn't sealed so I'm thinking about pulling the reservoir, turning it upside down, and running flowable RTV into the lip.

As for the right of way, everyone was very friendly. The side-by-sides were very quick to pull over. They seem to know that they are more maneuverable than about anything else but a motorcycle or bicycle, so they move over quickly. (We saw tons of motorcycles and several bicycles - including two young ladies on bicycles that made it to the tops of Engineer and Cinnamon. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

And you are right, the reason to take Big Blue is for the fun of it. I'm sure I could have spent some money and made Blue able to do the same trip. Or bought another vehicle and made it capable. But it is more fun to me to take an "old truck" and make it do it in style. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And speaking of "style", my brother frequently popped the hood to show people the engine. And he got lots of "wow's". I think he was almost as proud of it as I am. :nabble_smiley_grin: