Bullnose Forums

Frozen ‘81 351W

huddywayne

Working on the ranch truck this summer, and the 351W is frozen. I’ve tested and confirmed that the battery, solenoid, starter and all associated cables are good.

Then, I tried starting with the key and have a loud clunk. Bridging the positive cable to the solenoid with a screwdriver yields the same results.

Next, I pulled all spark plugs and filled the cylinders with ATF on Saturday. Attached a 15/16” socket with breaker bar to the crank pulley with no movement. On Tuesday, filled cylinders again with ATF and tried both the starter and breaker bar. No positive results.

Anybody have any other tips or tricks for freeing the engine up without tearing it completely down? I’ve checked down the carb and there is rust, I assume from rain water trickling down through the air cleaner stud.

E3127B06-5A40-4AB2-90A5-E11DC457CDFE.thumb.jpeg.461f10fac90d8359e5ceb5d300db8fca.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined.

What part of Texas? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city or zip.

On the engine, I wouldn't try with the starter. I'd use the socket on the crank bolt and rock it back and forth a bit. And keep adding ATF to it.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined.

What part of Texas? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city or zip.

On the engine, I wouldn't try with the starter. I'd use the socket on the crank bolt and rock it back and forth a bit. And keep adding ATF to it.

Thanks - I’m in New Braunfels. How long should I expect to keep at it until I need to wave the white flag?

Thanks - I’m in New Braunfels. How long should I expect to keep at it until I need to wave the white flag?

You are now on the map, although I hope you put your swimsuit on. :nabble_smiley_wink: (Might have gone down that river a few times on a tube.)

As for the engine, lets see what suggestions others have before you waive that flag.

You are now on the map, although I hope you put your swimsuit on. :nabble_smiley_wink: (Might have gone down that river a few times on a tube.)

As for the engine, lets see what suggestions others have before you waive that flag.

Absolutely, it’s a great town if you’re river rats like we are.

I looked at your Dad’s f150 and it looks like ours are similar. Mine is also an ‘81 Ranger XLT 4x4. It’s an auto with the long bed.

Absolutely, it’s a great town if you’re river rats like we are.

I looked at your Dad’s f150 and it looks like ours are similar. Mine is also an ‘81 Ranger XLT 4x4. It’s an auto with the long bed.

We lived in Katy for 6 years and brought the kids over several times to the Schlitterbahn. Loved it. And actually love the whole area.

That's cool that we have similar trucks. I'm anxious to see what you do with yours. But you say it is a 351W. Are you sure? An '81 shouldn't have come with a Windsor. Maybe someone replaced the 351M?

We lived in Katy for 6 years and brought the kids over several times to the Schlitterbahn. Loved it. And actually love the whole area.

That's cool that we have similar trucks. I'm anxious to see what you do with yours. But you say it is a 351W. Are you sure? An '81 shouldn't have come with a Windsor. Maybe someone replaced the 351M?

I may have decoded my VIN incorrectly.

The plan for the truck is to just get it running/driving/stopping in time for whitetail season. I’ll spend more time/money on it next spring.

I may have decoded my VIN incorrectly.

The plan for the truck is to just get it running/driving/stopping in time for whitetail season. I’ll spend more time/money on it next spring.

Quick checks:

• Fuel Pump Bolts: vertical is an M-Block, meaning 351M or 400, and horizontal means Windsor

• Valve Cover Bolts: 8-bolts means M-Block. Windsors have 6 bolts.