Bullnose Forums

15x8" Ford Wagon Wheels

Machspeed

For those that haven't "twigged", as the Brits would say, John and I've come to an agreement on the wheels.

And John they are now downstairs, in the way, as you can see. :nabble_smiley_evil:

You might ask how a 74 year old man carried them down the stairs w/o falling, and I'd say "He's smarter than that." :nabble_smiley_evil:

When I built the shop I installed a trap door, an I-beam, and a winch. Works very nicely!

Well, that’s slicker than a snotty doorknob!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the winch yesterday but missed the trap door. Ingenious! I'd have felt bad you pulling those things out of the attic. Work smarter, not harder ey, Gary!

You might ask how a 74 year old man carried them down the stairs w/o falling, and I'd say "He's smarter than that."

When I built the shop I installed a trap door, an I-beam, and a winch. Works very nicely!

And with just the right safety features, that 74 year old man's grandtwins can go up and down? :nabble_smiley_wink:

You might ask how a 74 year old man carried them down the stairs w/o falling, and I'd say "He's smarter than that."

And with just the right safety features, that 74 year old man's grandtwins can go up and down? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dad would have said "Slicker than snot on a glass door knob."

But, no way am I letting the grandtwins ride that winch. It says not to use it for humans, and I can see why because as the cable unrolls off the drum it lurches. And the cable itself has some kinks in it, which cause other lurches when they go through the pulley.

But I might let them run it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dad would have said "Slicker than snot on a glass door knob."

But, no way am I letting the grandtwins ride that winch. It says not to use it for humans, and I can see why because as the cable unrolls off the drum it lurches. And the cable itself has some kinks in it, which cause other lurches when they go through the pulley.

But I might let them run it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's the photos as promised. I took one from above, one from the side to show the "dish", one showing the width, one showing the backspacing, and one showing the stampings around the valve stem.

These are part number D8TZ-1015-D as they are 15x8 and not 15x6. According to Bill (NumberDummy), they were only offered in 78/79 and thus would not have come on a Bullnose truck, although the 1980 literature shows a few trucks with what looks to be 15x8 spoked wheels so that's confusing.

DSCN2400.jpg.17dfcc6836bd73a19cda0a7502fc10aa.jpg

DSCN2401.jpg.4dc8617626ebeff9ae1602a97fe6140d.jpg

DSCN2402.jpg.bdddc3e9b9f6b12a66876ce96dbded79.jpg

DSCN2403.jpg.7247f31aab78d97d0d5cf305530c200f.jpg

DSCN2404.jpg.7ab28ce193da83c6ff1e54102c5bcc85.jpg

1980 Bronco brochure screen grab showing a 15x8. Later on in the brochure, you can see a Bronco with the 15x6 version of these wheels.

Screenshot_2021-08-26_220229.jpg.2fc3916faedbb9bc441207aadaa18dc6.jpg

Here's the photos as promised. I took one from above, one from the side to show the "dish", one showing the width, one showing the backspacing, and one showing the stampings around the valve stem.

These are part number D8TZ-1015-D as they are 15x8 and not 15x6. According to Bill (NumberDummy), they were only offered in 78/79 and thus would not have come on a Bullnose truck, although the 1980 literature shows a few trucks with what looks to be 15x8 spoked wheels so that's confusing.

1980 Bronco brochure screen grab showing a 15x8. Later on in the brochure, you can see a Bronco with the 15x6 version of these wheels.

Yeah, the brochures frequently have things that weren't really offered. But Bill is right, as shown below from the 1973-79 MPC. Oddly enough, that same wheel, or at least that same part number, wasn't offered after that.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to put these pics, and the MPC listing, up in the documentation tomorrow. Thanks!

D8TZ_1015-D.thumb.jpg.40f357057bb0e4e085475bdfa0357843.jpg

Yeah, the brochures frequently have things that weren't really offered. But Bill is right, as shown below from the 1973-79 MPC. Oddly enough, that same wheel, or at least that same part number, wasn't offered after that.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to put these pics, and the MPC listing, up in the documentation tomorrow. Thanks!

Ok Shaun, I got the pics up. Please check it out: Documentation/Driveline/Wheels.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n103720/D8TZ_1015-D.jpg

I'm almost certain that the removal of 15x8s was due to the 1979 Crude Oil crisis, which I'm sure also caused the fuel-sipping gear ratios in the Bullnose trucks. Anybody remember that? If I recall from reading up on it years ago, fuel prices lowered by the mid-80s, and that would explain why we didn't see another 15x8 until 1987.

Gary, I should still have pictures of my old 5-spoke (slotted) wheels if you would like to add them to the page as well. I see you already have the 10-hole versions there.

• 1 month later...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n103720/D8TZ_1015-D.jpg

I'm almost certain that the removal of 15x8s was due to the 1979 Crude Oil crisis, which I'm sure also caused the fuel-sipping gear ratios in the Bullnose trucks. Anybody remember that? If I recall from reading up on it years ago, fuel prices lowered by the mid-80s, and that would explain why we didn't see another 15x8 until 1987.

Gary, I should still have pictures of my old 5-spoke (slotted) wheels if you would like to add them to the page as well. I see you already have the 10-hole versions there.

I just unloaded a complete set of 4 of these 15x8 wagon wheels for $150 because I needed the space back in my garage. You can find these on Bricknose F150s and Broncos.

I just unloaded a complete set of 4 of these 15x8 wagon wheels for $150 because I needed the space back in my garage. You can find these on Bricknose F150s and Broncos.

Some refurb 15x8's showed up on Ebay yesterday or today as well, as I get alerts when they're listed.

• 7 months later...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n103713/Screenshot_2021-08-26_220229.jpg

Interesting. Do you know what size tires Ford used with the deeper 15x8 wheels?