Bullnose Forums

Hello people !

Jose

Jose - I thought you were "south of the border", just from the picture of your truck. The setting just looked like it might be Mexico or even Nicaragua, where my daughter lives.

Anyway, let's start on diagnosing your truck. Here's your first engine pic, and from it I can tell that things aren't as I would have expected them to be. First, the A/C compressor is a later style than a 1981 US truck would have had. Second, while I can't be sure, it looks like you have the EEC-III ignition system. I could confirm that if you took a shot where the red arrow is pointing so we can see the front of the distributor. Also, if you took a pick of the ignition module, and especially the grommet through which the wires pass when going into it.

Next, on to the choke. As the yellow letters say, the metal tube should go to the exhaust manifold. And, from the exhaust manifold there should be another tube that goes to the fitting shown by the red circle. What happens is there is a vacuum at that port with the red circle and it is supposed to draw clean air from the air cleaner, down through a passage in the exhaust manifold where it heats up, and then into the choke housing. That tells the choke spring if the engine is hot or cold and it can adjust the choke accordingly.

But you don't have anything hooked up, and are probably drawing dirty cold air into that port, telling the choke that the engine is cold. So, if you adjust the choke to where it closes it'll never come off. All of that is better explained here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/chokes.html.

But your choke cap has an electrical connection (green circle) that may work for you. That carb is probably a hot-air with electric assist model, but sometimes they will work ok on just the electric portion. There's a terminal on the alternator called "S", which is short for stator. You can run a wire from the S terminal on the alternator to the terminal on the choke and see if it will heat up enough when the engine is running to pull the choke off.

There are lots of other things we can discuss, but let's stick to figuring out what ignition system you have via the pictures, and fixing the choke. Then we can move on once we know what we are working with.

Hi Gary, yes Im in México holding on and incredible warm weather here :nabble_smiley_cool:.

These are the photos of distributor and module:

IMG_20180608_105251809_LL.thumb.jpg.86bc1f9ec7647c4e4b9a4f72c42e0c7d.jpg

IMG_20180608_105345768.thumb.jpg.38ac888b3e1082954e66bd6b57c8e069.jpg

About the choke, I would like to thank you a lot for the info, links etc. I carefully read them all, now I finally know my choke is an electric assisted one, and how it operates. Sadly I found out that the metal tube that comes out of the exhaust is broken, so I will have to find something to repair this before undertake the choke system adjustments:

IMG_20180608_105457174.thumb.jpg.08c68887906285c29d3ef9377f20044b.jpg

Hope to read your comments about, have a nice weekend !

Hi Gary, yes Im in México holding on and incredible warm weather here :nabble_smiley_cool:.

About the choke, I would like to thank you a lot for the info, links etc. I carefully read them all, now I finally know my choke is an electric assisted one, and how it operates. Sadly I found out that the metal tube that comes out of the exhaust is broken, so I will have to find something to repair this before undertake the choke system adjustments:

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Carburetor-Choke-Tube-Repair-Kit-Replace-Broken-or-Burnt-Tubes-/142618838109

or this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-76850?seid=srese2&cm_mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-dorman&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing+Shopping+Ads&utm_term=4581321356722260&utm_content=Dorman

will repair the missing choke heating tube.

Jose - You have the dreaded computer-controlled ignition system. And I'll bet that it is upset with all the things that are disconnected on your truck. What happens is that the computer gets its knickers in a twist and locks the ignition timing at 10 degrees BTDC. That kills power and economy.

The way around it is to replace the distributor, coil, and ignition box with a DS-II setup. And, you will need the DS-II wiring harness. I don't have a write-up on this site, but there's one on FTE: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1012000-duraspark-ii-conversion-how-to.html.

As for the choke, the second link David/1986F150Six provided may be the closest to what you need to get the hot-air part of it working. But, if where you live doesn't get very cold you may not need that. I'd hook up the stator wire from the alternator as previously discussed and see if that works for you. If not, then look into the the hot air.

Jose - You have the dreaded computer-controlled ignition system. And I'll bet that it is upset with all the things that are disconnected on your truck. What happens is that the computer gets its knickers in a twist and locks the ignition timing at 10 degrees BTDC. That kills power and economy.

The way around it is to replace the distributor, coil, and ignition box with a DS-II setup. And, you will need the DS-II wiring harness. I don't have a write-up on this site, but there's one on FTE: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1012000-duraspark-ii-conversion-how-to.html.

As for the choke, the second link David/1986F150Six provided may be the closest to what you need to get the hot-air part of it working. But, if where you live doesn't get very cold you may not need that. I'd hook up the stator wire from the alternator as previously discussed and see if that works for you. If not, then look into the the hot air.

Hi Gary, yes I will look after to the new hardware you mentioned, check prices etc.

Regarding the choke, you got it all right, it may not be neccesary to hook the choke to the exhaust, just to the stator wire, that is something I can do.

Hi Gary,

Could you help me to find an online store (the link to the single DS-II set-up and/or individual components) so i can get all the duraspark-ii set up from ?, of course, Iam willing to compensate your time for this service.

I dared to ask you for this service becouse I could mistakenly choose something grown raising the money i will invest on it.

Hope the read your comments and info, thanks.

Hi Gary,

Could you help me to find an online store (the link to the single DS-II set-up and/or individual components) so i can get all the duraspark-ii set up from ?, of course, Iam willing to compensate your time for this service.

I dared to ask you for this service becouse I could mistakenly choose something grown raising the money i will invest on it.

Hope the read your comments and info, thanks.

Jose - You don't need to compensate me. I'm happy to help you. That's what this forum is all about. Let me do some thinking about what you need. But I do know that the wiring harness is pretty expensive if you have to buy a new one, so maybe someone on here knows of one?

I may have an extra blue-grommet DS-II module that I could let go cheaply. Then there is the distributor, and a coil.

Again, I'll do some checking and get back with you.

Jose - You don't need to compensate me. I'm happy to help you. That's what this forum is all about. Let me do some thinking about what you need. But I do know that the wiring harness is pretty expensive if you have to buy a new one, so maybe someone on here knows of one?

I may have an extra blue-grommet DS-II module that I could let go cheaply. Then there is the distributor, and a coil.

Again, I'll do some checking and get back with you.

Jose - I've started a new thread for you in the main section of the forum, here: DS-II For Jose. That's really the place to be discussing things like this as it will get more people's input.

Anyway, take a look and see what you think.

Jose - I've started a new thread for you in the main section of the forum, here: DS-II For Jose. That's really the place to be discussing things like this as it will get more people's input.

Anyway, take a look and see what you think.

Thanks Gary, I'll follow the new thread !