Bullnose Forums

new upholstery - anyone used the LMC upholstery set?

I just realizes, with you carpet, you have an existing template to work too! I do not, so you should have a much easier time!

Good point! Also if the back edge of new carpet is a finshed edge and matches the profile of the cab wall, I may cut it in half under the seat and overlap it there.

If you plan on keeping truck long term I probably would find a local upholstry shop to make the covers for you. They can source better material than what LMC offers.

I actually found a place that sells bulk leather hide that I may buy if the local upholstry shop cant source quality shadow blue leather to cover a bench seat. I dont mind about final cost as I want the upholstry to handle wear and tear of daily driving for decades.

Hmm that is a sound idea. The two shops I spoke to said they could do a basic blue easy. It might get pricy if I wanted to get one of the fancy materials (plaid). I could also pick through what they have leftover for inserts and such, but probably would not be an original material. THat's not too big a deal to me obviously, if I'm going to LMC for a generic Ford upholstery.

I'll have to think on it and discuss with wife to see if we can fund that little extra from price of LMC to local shop anytime soon. We had it worked out for the LMC.

And then borrow a truck to take seat to upholsterer. Irony?

Thats my thing I dont know about pattern. I recall the original seats having a pleated vinyl seat but dont remember the exact textures or patterns. It was just a solid blue vinyl seat.

I planned on talking with which ever upholstry shop that does the job to see what they think would be a factory looking early 80s Ford design. I want the leather to mimic the factory look but I want changes here and there. Such as on the front of the seat on the driver side I want a pocket sewn into the leather for tossing things such as my wallet or extra keys. I saw a GM truck that had that treatment done on the upholstry and really liked the idea at giving you a storage option with the OE style bench seat without having to add map pockets on the doors.

If you plan on keeping truck long term I probably would find a local upholstry shop to make the covers for you. They can source better material than what LMC offers.

I actually found a place that sells bulk leather hide that I may buy if the local upholstry shop cant source quality shadow blue leather to cover a bench seat. I dont mind about final cost as I want the upholstry to handle wear and tear of daily driving for decades.

Hmm that is a sound idea. The two shops I spoke to said they could do a basic blue easy. It might get pricy if I wanted to get one of the fancy materials (plaid). I could also pick through what they have leftover for inserts and such, but probably would not be an original material. THat's not too big a deal to me obviously, if I'm going to LMC for a generic Ford upholstery.

I'll have to think on it and discuss with wife to see if we can fund that little extra from price of LMC to local shop anytime soon. We had it worked out for the LMC.

And then borrow a truck to take seat to upholsterer. Irony?

Thats my thing I dont know about pattern. I recall the original seats having a pleated vinyl seat but dont remember the exact textures or patterns. It was just a solid blue vinyl seat.

I planned on talking with which ever upholstry shop that does the job to see what they think would be a factory looking early 80s Ford design. I want the leather to mimic the factory look but I want changes here and there. Such as on the front of the seat on the driver side I want a pocket sewn into the leather for tossing things such as my wallet or extra keys. I saw a GM truck that had that treatment done on the upholstry and really liked the idea at giving you a storage option with the OE style bench seat without having to add map pockets on the doors.

The row of pockets is one thing I love about the saddle blanket cover. I don't mind if it's not a stock pattern or material. Just want it nice. I'll let them do what they want.

The row of pockets is one thing I love about the saddle blanket cover. I don't mind if it's not a stock pattern or material. Just want it nice. I'll let them do what they want.

Been to local guy. See photos. Vinyl outside and center. Cloth inserts on each side. $450 and he's going to fix the bottom pad, broken rod in seat back, etc. And cover the seat. I'm taking just the seat to him so I can put the carpet in while he does the seat.

IMG_20210902_135232927.jpg.267ff95137ceb1e7605530cf2456f1ac.jpg

IMG_20210902_135224909.jpg.efa15559cce09a6d7159e2650ec32d82.jpg

Been to local guy. See photos. Vinyl outside and center. Cloth inserts on each side. $450 and he's going to fix the bottom pad, broken rod in seat back, etc. And cover the seat. I'm taking just the seat to him so I can put the carpet in while he does the seat.

Looks good! Gonna be fancy schmancy!