Bullnose Forums

new upholstery - anyone used the LMC upholstery set?

I've got carpet coming and thinking that would be the best time to reupholster the seat while it is out and done all at once. Quoted locally runs from $400 - $600. LMC set is $235 +shipping and I install. I don't mind installing. Video looks like I could do that.

But has anyone here tried it? How is it? Many sites have what looks to be the same set, so I'm figuring they are all from the same supplier.

This set. https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/seats/fd-1980-86-bench-seat-kits. Wife says velour/vinyl. LMC says IN STOCK too.

If it's not good, say why - tell me more than "just junk" because it is LMC. I figure after the new wears off, I'll put the saddle cover back on to protect it more. But would like to have it fixed instead of the pieces and parts that are under the saddle cover.

Thanks

I saw that one after I posted this. I've been looking at all I can find, plus the saddle blanket covers. I think I may try the LMC and see how it does. I figure after a little while, I'll probably put a saddle blanket cover back over it to protect it. But I also see that a lot of those fall apart fairly quick. I have a saddle blanket cover now that was on it when I got it. Holding up fairly well, but I have no idea how old it is.

I'm wondering how they do over a few years. I really have no intention of letting go of the truck. It's a lot of fun for a project and pretty durn practical to have.

Thanks for sending that

I saw that one after I posted this. I've been looking at all I can find, plus the saddle blanket covers. I think I may try the LMC and see how it does. I figure after a little while, I'll probably put a saddle blanket cover back over it to protect it. But I also see that a lot of those fall apart fairly quick. I have a saddle blanket cover now that was on it when I got it. Holding up fairly well, but I have no idea how old it is.

I'm wondering how they do over a few years. I really have no intention of letting go of the truck. It's a lot of fun for a project and pretty durn practical to have.

Thanks for sending that

I think it comes down to using those horrible bull rings and associated pliers.

I have tried something similar when I tried to add new cushioning to a captains chair in my Bronco. I gave up because the process was so frustrating.

There is a technique to it that I just could not work out.

Thanks for sending that

If you plan on keeping truck long term I probably would find a local upholstry shop to make the covers for you. They can source better material than what LMC offers.

I actually found a place that sells bulk leather hide that I may buy if the local upholstry shop cant source quality shadow blue leather to cover a bench seat. I dont mind about final cost as I want the upholstry to handle wear and tear of daily driving for decades.

I think it comes down to using those horrible bull rings and associated pliers.

I have tried something similar when I tried to add new cushioning to a captains chair in my Bronco. I gave up because the process was so frustrating.

There is a technique to it that I just could not work out.

My new carpet is outside my office door. Thanks GSMBlue!

I have never messed with bullrings but see how it is supposed to work. And it could come down to the tool used? The free tool may not work as well as a more expensive version?

If you plan on keeping truck long term I probably would find a local upholstry shop to make the covers for you. They can source better material than what LMC offers.

I actually found a place that sells bulk leather hide that I may buy if the local upholstry shop cant source quality shadow blue leather to cover a bench seat. I dont mind about final cost as I want the upholstry to handle wear and tear of daily driving for decades.

Hmm that is a sound idea. The two shops I spoke to said they could do a basic blue easy. It might get pricy if I wanted to get one of the fancy materials (plaid). I could also pick through what they have leftover for inserts and such, but probably would not be an original material. THat's not too big a deal to me obviously, if I'm going to LMC for a generic Ford upholstery.

I'll have to think on it and discuss with wife to see if we can fund that little extra from price of LMC to local shop anytime soon. We had it worked out for the LMC.

And then borrow a truck to take seat to upholsterer. Irony?

My new carpet is outside my office door. Thanks GSMBlue!

EXCELLENT!!!! :) We go there in the end :)

In an interesting coincidence, I just got estimated $250-400 to have both the captains chairs in the Bronco redone. So yeah, that’s happening!