Bullnose Forums

Tire Sizes And Suspension/Steering Components

I've been talking about putting 31/10.5/15" tires on my truck. Manufacture's decal specifies 235/75/15, which is what is on it now. Looking at Discount Tire's website, it appears that some of our trucks came with 265/75/15's which is fairly close to the above desired tires I want to go with. My concern is the steering components. Logic dictates that a wider tire puts more wear and tear on the steering components. I'm wondering if those trucks that came from the factory with the 265/75/15 tires had beefier steering components? I'm not sure what the wider tires would have come on. Perhaps F250 4x4's??? Input appreciated.

The steering components didn't change due to tire size. You can see the part #'s at our page on Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Tie Rods & Drag Links. And while there were several different parts that changed over time, in many cases the same part was used for F100, F150, F250, and F350's.

So I think the components are easily capable of handling a bit larger tire. :nabble_smiley_wink:

The steering components didn't change due to tire size. You can see the part #'s at our page on Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Tie Rods & Drag Links. And while there were several different parts that changed over time, in many cases the same part was used for F100, F150, F250, and F350's.

So I think the components are easily capable of handling a bit larger tire. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes.... before I posted this I went to Rockauto and typed in different size trucks (F150, 250, etc), trucks I assumed might have a wider tire. Noted no real differences in parts. Just wanted a confirmation.

I'm a little leery about messing around with the steering, as I've replaced the steering components twice on this truck. Last year when I replaced it, the stuff was plum wore out. In fact, so badly I felt lucky that I wasn't left stranded in a ditch or even worse in a bad accident after the steering let go.

Thanks Gary!

Yes.... before I posted this I went to Rockauto and typed in different size trucks (F150, 250, etc), trucks I assumed might have a wider tire. Noted no real differences in parts. Just wanted a confirmation.

I'm a little leery about messing around with the steering, as I've replaced the steering components twice on this truck. Last year when I replaced it, the stuff was plum wore out. In fact, so badly I felt lucky that I wasn't left stranded in a ditch or even worse in a bad accident after the steering let go.

Thanks Gary!

I am running 31/10.5/15" on my F150 as in my profile picture. They fit great and I have not noticed any ill effects on the steering. For completeness the tires are Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.

I mentioned in another thread I am going to put 33/10.5/15" BFG KO2 tires on my Bronco and by the sound of it no one thinks they will be an issue for the standard steering set up.

I've run 285/75R16, 37x12.5R16.5 and now 315/75R16 on my F250 with all stock suspension and steering for the last decade and never had to replace any steering components. The shaft is about read and I have the upgraded on to put on soon, but the truck still drives straight and doesn't have a lot of play in the wheel. A tire as small as you're looking at won't be any extra strain really.

I've run 285/75R16, 37x12.5R16.5 and now 315/75R16 on my F250 with all stock suspension and steering for the last decade and never had to replace any steering components. The shaft is about read and I have the upgraded on to put on soon, but the truck still drives straight and doesn't have a lot of play in the wheel. A tire as small as you're looking at won't be any extra strain really.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Thanks, gentlemen!

The only steering oddity I have found is the Crew Cab F350s, the tie rods are peculiar to those applications and I do not know about any other parts, steering knuckles primarily. I know Darth will turn inside of a 1994 Super Cab 4WD F250, drove my BIL nuts the first time I did that. I know the inside front wheel will go nearly 90° to the frame.