Bullnose Forums

Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

Missed this!

Hmm... Are there rubber pieces I'd still need to find? I have the 1984 ones still... but I don't know if the difference is up top or down below.

On further review Gary's fan shroud looks completely different than mine. Mine was a lot squarer, his looks more like what my ranger uses with the fan hole being bigger than the "funnel" Maybe because of fan size differences? Hopefully my wife neglected to take the driveway trash out... I'll pull the chunks out and try to piece it together after work...

Ok Larry, Plan C or D on the radiator & support. I just realized that I have a nice, pretty, painted radiator support for Dad's truck and the one I took out of it is available. (Shown below leaning on Larry's tires.)

It looks to be in better shape than the one off Big Blue as it only has a little surface rust, and no chunk cut out by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:.

However, David's radiator is from an '85 and won't quite fit in Dad's 1981 radiator support. But, if you go to Documentation/Cooling Systems/Radiator Supports there's a how-to on upgrading an earlier support to take the later radiator. And since I have BB's '85 radiator support laying around you could take the brackets off of it, put them on Dad's support, and install David's radiator.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Dads_Radiator_Support_For_Larry.thumb.jpg.01356428e117bf6fd85f4a9f13acd489.jpg

Ok Larry, Plan C or D on the radiator & support. I just realized that I have a nice, pretty, painted radiator support for Dad's truck and the one I took out of it is available. (Shown below leaning on Larry's tires.)

It looks to be in better shape than the one off Big Blue as it only has a little surface rust, and no chunk cut out by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:.

However, David's radiator is from an '85 and won't quite fit in Dad's 1981 radiator support. But, if you go to Documentation/Cooling Systems/Radiator Supports there's a how-to on upgrading an earlier support to take the later radiator. And since I have BB's '85 radiator support laying around you could take the brackets off of it, put them on Dad's support, and install David's radiator.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Never mind. I posted and realized I was being stoopid. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Regarding the radiator: It appears that your truck is a 1984. Gary mentioned that he had a V8 radiator with the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. I have a radiator for a 4.9L. The thing is that it was pulled from a 1985 and the mounts are different. I can bring it to the show and you may have it for free and see if you can make it work. If not, give it to someone else. :nabble_anim_handshake:

The donor truck was a city utility truck with 61K miles [i have had the radiator for several years]. It is an aftermarket radiator and looks pretty new. The donor truck had an automatic transmission, so the radiator has the internal cooler lines.

I just retrieved the radiator and have it ready for the trip. This is the information on it and it does look nice! :nabble_smiley_beam:

Vista-Pro

MOD: 0432184

PWO: 9451385

REF: A12G

Larry [edited], please confirm that you want this as I will not bring it if you do not.

Regarding the radiator: It appears that your truck is a 1984. Gary mentioned that he had a V8 radiator with the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. I have a radiator for a 4.9L. The thing is that it was pulled from a 1985 and the mounts are different. I can bring it to the show and you may have it for free and see if you can make it work. If not, give it to someone else. :nabble_anim_handshake:

The donor truck was a city utility truck with 61K miles [i have had the radiator for several years]. It is an aftermarket radiator and looks pretty new. The donor truck had an automatic transmission, so the radiator has the internal cooler lines.

I just retrieved the radiator and have it ready for the trip. This is the information on it and it does look nice! :nabble_smiley_beam:

Vista-Pro

MOD: 0432184

PWO: 9451385

REF: A12G

Larry [edited], please confirm that you want this as I will not bring it if you do not.

Is it all brass, all aluminum, or aluminum with plastic tanks? Looking at the design, it looks very similar to what my rangers use (with the side wings for mounting).

I'm not keen on plastic tanked radiators. What got wrecked was a factory all-brass unit that after a good flushing last year was still working great. Plastic tanked ones I've not had great luck with.

Edit- what I have found on that number indicates it's a plastic tanked unit... meh. I can get all-aluminum ones... so it's a pass for the moment at least.

Edit2- Maybe not a pass... since it seems pretty much everything 1984 and earlier is out of stock and/or discontinued... I can get them for the 1985+ setup. Would have to transfer (weld) the brackets over though... perhaps I use the vista pro for now, and if it blows up then spend the $$$ on a proper all-aluminum one???

Never mind. I posted and realized I was being stoopid. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Not sure I understand. Didn't see anything stupid heretofore.

David - Did you mean Larry/ratdude747?

I posted a comment about the second radiator support about not having the air intake hole I need, and then I realized 1 minute later that I was overlooking said hole's existence like a moron. I forgot that nabble doesn't show that a post was edited... hence the fact I overwrote something wasn't obvious.

What I meant to post when I got back from lunch (and didn't get to until now, yay work!) was that the second support looks a lot better and for what I'm doing, will hopefully work out a lot better than the first one.

I posted a comment about the second radiator support about not having the air intake hole I need, and then I realized 1 minute later that I was overlooking said hole's existence like a moron. I forgot that nabble doesn't show that a post was edited... hence the fact I overwrote something wasn't obvious.

What I meant to post when I got back from lunch (and didn't get to until now, yay work!) was that the second support looks a lot better and for what I'm doing, will hopefully work out a lot better than the first one.

I agree that the 2nd support is the way to go. However as said you may need to mod it if you want to go with an '85 or later radiator.

I agree that the 2nd support is the way to go. However as said you may need to mod it if you want to go with an '85 or later radiator.

See the second post's most recent edit. I know.

The fan shrouds are different too... the radiator is wider and shorter. A lot less square. Edit- yep, confirmed it in the parts list.

Unless I score a used stock radiator, looks like I'll have to redo things to the newer design. I was hoping to keep things somewhat stock... I wish, lol.

See the second post's most recent edit. I know.

The fan shrouds are different too... the radiator is wider and shorter. A lot less square. Edit- yep, confirmed it in the parts list.

Unless I score a used stock radiator, looks like I'll have to redo things to the newer design. I was hoping to keep things somewhat stock... I wish, lol.

Looks like the local pull-a-part has no less than three 1984 F150's on the lot right now. Some have been there a long time though... by Pull-a-part standards, that is.

Might make a trip this saturday...