Bullnose Forums

Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

The right side door & fender hitting each other is from the radiator support being pushed over to that side from the hit on the left side and most likely pushed back a little too.

You can look at the fender mounting bolts up by the hinge and see if it has moved back but till you get a good support on it that fender cant really be set where it needs to be.

Yes save the moldings as you may not be able to find them with out a good hunt.

On the door dent when was the last time you look at that side?

I dont see how that could be from the deer kill even if you drove over it.

I also hate body work but replacing the parts like you need to do I dont call body work.

Its the sanding of body filler and mostly the dust from it I hate.

The dust gets every where, ears, nose / moth & eyes and it does make it pass a mask!

Little by little and before you know it it will be on the road again.

Dave ----

I'll see what I might have laying around still and if I find anything I'll list it too.

I'll see what I might have laying around still and if I find anything I'll list it too.

Got the driver's side fender and condenser off. Radiator support is only held on by the front cab mounts... the bushings are toast but at least the bolts don't look too rusty. Only had three fasteners break; one of the passenger splash shield to radiator support screws snapped, and had two speed nuts split, one irrecoverably (at least until I have the radiator support off and can get to it better). Also had a weld/insert nut come free, but that was on the mangled radiator support.

IMG_20210822_205038.jpg.296bb29794afd2457882db4ebf121685.jpg

Driver's side splash shield and hood latch are also toast... the latch might be straigtenable, it was bent up pretty bad.

IMG_20210822_205209.jpg.510c354889bdf98c6131ad361b1d004f.jpg

Radiator got split:

IMG_20210822_204906.jpg.930c79a1db64ead1209c2ac026dfa730.jpg

Cut the condenser lines with bolt cutters in an attempt to limit moisture (the reciever drier is toast, this is just to ensure the compressor doesn't get corroded)

IMG_20210822_205251.jpg.34c917f6e8da29ab0f79a3e32ea984d6.jpg

Tossed out a lot of plastic:

IMG_20210822_205009.jpg.d23de9df8e987458aae76e2809a5d794.jpg

Am saving at least part of this upper valance (or whatever it's called)... the vacuum tag is still intact. may be a good garage decoration?

IMG_20210822_210251.jpg.63df2837fffbb9b838725b76b2b19cae.jpg

I get the redneck award for keeping the hood up with a fender removed:

IMG_20210822_204957.jpg.ac515d91417097b76fe6a2d79322ce33.jpg

As for that fender, based on my experience on the driver's side, I should be able to loosen a few bolts and reposition it. Probably got shoved a bit in the wreck.

---

I appriciate the response on looking for parts. Gee, maybe I need to bring my trailer after all; the ranger has a bumper hitch and a 4 wire connector. However, a backup camera in the way of the hitch (maybe), a rot hole in the rear frame, worn trailer tires, and the bad combo of 4R55E and a 3:08 8.8 tell say don't do that! At least it has a 7' bed so short of the bedliner I was originally going to pick up, I have options...

Got the driver's side fender and condenser off. Radiator support is only held on by the front cab mounts... the bushings are toast but at least the bolts don't look too rusty. Only had three fasteners break; one of the passenger splash shield to radiator support screws snapped, and had two speed nuts split, one irrecoverably (at least until I have the radiator support off and can get to it better). Also had a weld/insert nut come free, but that was on the mangled radiator support.

Driver's side splash shield and hood latch are also toast... the latch might be straigtenable, it was bent up pretty bad.

Radiator got split:

Cut the condenser lines with bolt cutters in an attempt to limit moisture (the reciever drier is toast, this is just to ensure the compressor doesn't get corroded)

Tossed out a lot of plastic:

Am saving at least part of this upper valance (or whatever it's called)... the vacuum tag is still intact. may be a good garage decoration?

I get the redneck award for keeping the hood up with a fender removed:

As for that fender, based on my experience on the driver's side, I should be able to loosen a few bolts and reposition it. Probably got shoved a bit in the wreck.

---

I appriciate the response on looking for parts. Gee, maybe I need to bring my trailer after all; the ranger has a bumper hitch and a 4 wire connector. However, a backup camera in the way of the hitch (maybe), a rot hole in the rear frame, worn trailer tires, and the bad combo of 4R55E and a 3:08 8.8 tell say don't do that! At least it has a 7' bed so short of the bedliner I was originally going to pick up, I have options...

Interesting, definitely could have been worse.

Good idea keeping the emissions tag (probably not the correct terminology).

I like the hood prop!

Interesting, definitely could have been worse.

Good idea keeping the emissions tag (probably not the correct terminology).

I like the hood prop!

Well, I've done some looking and I don't have a fender. Nor do I have a fender liner I can part with. But, I do have these items which you are welcome to, Larry.

Hood: It was used at church camp and got spray painted and then messages were added. But I believe it is dent free and under the spray paint is light surface rust where the factory paint had gone away. EDIT: Oops, in the pic I spotted a bend in the edge, as shown in the circle. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Hood.thumb.jpg.b767511e8c7aef3f725f181e146dda1f.jpg

Condenser: It is out of Dad's truck, so is an '81. And from our page at Documentation/HVAC/HVAC Systems it looks like all the Bullnose trucks with gas engines used the same one.

Dads_Condensor.thumb.jpg.8974a909fef965359c686e2bd0f5c36a.jpg

As for a radiator support, I have the one that I took off of Big Blue. But there are four issues with it. First, it is from an '85 and the radiators mount differently on the '85 and later supports. However, if you go with a later radiator then it'll bolt in. Or, you may be able to mod that later support to take the earlier radiator. I know it can be done the other way 'round, as shown on the 85+ Radiator In An Earlier Support tab on our page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Radiator Supports.

And there's a chunk out of that support, although you might be able to graft that piece in from your support. Plus there's rust in the lower corners, as shown in the pics.

Oh yes, I have a radiator as well, but it is from Dad's truck so is for a V8 and the hose connections are swapped on the 300 six.

Radiator_Support.thumb.jpg.1b559b54a38034fd91d8a0941c089b23.jpg

Radiator_Support.thumb.jpg.1b559b54a38034fd91d8a0941c089b23.jpg

Radiator_Support.thumb.jpg.1b559b54a38034fd91d8a0941c089b23.jpgRadiator_Support.thumb.jpg.1b559b54a38034fd91d8a0941c089b23.jpg

Cutout_Of_Radiator_Support.thumb.jpg.3c9a311554d70e33082b6aea46a88c5c.jpg

Rust_on_PS_of_Radiator_Support.thumb.jpg.3b35f1e9a3ee32f4309a4ceda780bf71.jpg

Rust_On_DS_of_Radiator_Support.thumb.jpg.3c575c5cf71ddb5b9dec4c25998116df.jpg

Well, I've done some looking and I don't have a fender. Nor do I have a fender liner I can part with. But, I do have these items which you are welcome to, Larry.

Hood: It was used at church camp and got spray painted and then messages were added. But I believe it is dent free and under the spray paint is light surface rust where the factory paint had gone away. EDIT: Oops, in the pic I spotted a bend in the edge, as shown in the circle. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Condenser: It is out of Dad's truck, so is an '81. And from our page at Documentation/HVAC/HVAC Systems it looks like all the Bullnose trucks with gas engines used the same one.

As for a radiator support, I have the one that I took off of Big Blue. But there are four issues with it. First, it is from an '85 and the radiators mount differently on the '85 and later supports. However, if you go with a later radiator then it'll bolt in. Or, you may be able to mod that later support to take the earlier radiator. I know it can be done the other way 'round, as shown on the 85+ Radiator In An Earlier Support tab on our page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Radiator Supports.

And there's a chunk out of that support, although you might be able to graft that piece in from your support. Plus there's rust in the lower corners, as shown in the pics.

Oh yes, I have a radiator as well, but it is from Dad's truck so is for a V8 and the hose connections are swapped on the 300 six.

Don't sweat the hood... it's not as bad as mine, but mine doesn't *need* repainting to look "right" (no more than the rest of the truck :nabble_smiley_argh:), plus I'd almost feel bad removing works of praise to our Lord and Savior!

If the condenser is in good condition (no leaks to your knowledge), I'll take it.

I'll have to think about the radiator support... I need all the braces and the like too (which obviously you kept for your truck), so that'll probably be an afternoon at the junkyard. Are all the weld nuts in OK shape? Is the later year radiator any better performing or easier to obtain?

The Ranger is a Ford. And for one show David/1986F150Six had to turn back when his truck developed oiling problems and he and his wife brought their Aztec. So on one is going to boo you here.

Just glad you made it home safely.

At that meet, Bill [aka NumberDummy] told me that the Aztec was possibly the ugliest vehicle ever built and he credited it with the demise of Pontiac! :nabble_smiley_wink:

The Ranger is a Ford. And for one show David/1986F150Six had to turn back when his truck developed oiling problems and he and his wife brought their Aztec. So on one is going to boo you here.

At that meet, Bill [aka NumberDummy] told me that the Aztec was possibly the ugliest vehicle ever built and he credited it with the demise of Pontiac! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Larry - I may have the braces, but I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. I've parted out several trucks so have parts, but just need to make sure I keep a set for Dad's truck. So, can you show me pics of what you need?

David - Yep, I remember that well. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Larry - I may have the braces, but I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. I've parted out several trucks so have parts, but just need to make sure I keep a set for Dad's truck. So, can you show me pics of what you need?

David - Yep, I remember that well. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The three vertical members that mount to the front of the radiator support. The middle one holds the hood latch.

Here's two of them:

IMG_20210822_153902.jpg.b0a8889cfbb393539745b4667d47a137.jpg

It wasn't the ugliest.

The Fiat Multipla gets that dishonor:

2614_Fiat-Multipla-2002-1600-01_0-large.thumb.jpg.178ce95d1ce6e83a1408ed0d9ffa89e8.jpg

My understanding is that as ugly as the Aztec is, at least it was functional... function over form? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

It wasn't the ugliest.

The Fiat Multipla gets that dishonor:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n103489/2614_Fiat-Multipla-2002-1600-01_0-large.jpg

My understanding is that as ugly as the Aztec is, at least it was functional... function over form? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

YES! We called that vehicle Lurch when we were in Europe.