Bullnose Forums

Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

:nabble_thumbs-down-23_orig:

No bueno on the pulley. I forgot that the truck I pulled from doesn't have factory air... Different diameter and spacing:

The engineering number in on what came off is E0TC-3D673-HA

The engineering number on what I pulled is E0TC-3D673-BA.

Ruined by one letter. Darn. The Ebay part is the right one though. Didn't want to blow 70 bux but so be it.

Somebody nabbed the eBay one... crapola. I guess I have a nice shiny driveway ornament... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Gary, do you happen to have the parts list on these pulleys? So I know if the two they have with factory air and V8's of some sort would be potentially compatible? I didn't look while I was there... ran out of time. EDIT- Found it... nope, not compatible (different number at least). Son of a gun. Driveway ornament it is!

If I didn't think I'd get myself back where I started, I'd try to see if the pulley could be straighened... the hub bent, that's all. Probably wouldn't hold though... and fail at the worst possible time. Yep, bad idea.

Somebody nabbed the eBay one... crapola. I guess I have a nice shiny driveway ornament... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Gary, do you happen to have the parts list on these pulleys? So I know if the two they have with factory air and V8's of some sort would be potentially compatible? I didn't look while I was there... ran out of time. EDIT- Found it... nope, not compatible (different number at least). Son of a gun. Driveway ornament it is!

If I didn't think I'd get myself back where I started, I'd try to see if the pulley could be straighened... the hub bent, that's all. Probably wouldn't hold though... and fail at the worst possible time. Yep, bad idea.

Technically I have a few options come to think of it (trying to avoid being overly sarcastic, not in a great mood):

1.Get the non-A/C belt and install the pulley and forgo A/C. Stinks because I already rebuilt it, but I could always swap back later if I found the right part.

2. Convert to a different pump (Saginaw off an E-series, etc.) and ditch the CII. Could add complications but is an option.

3. Convert to manual steering. I dont' like it (expensive, impossible to use in parking lots, might have to loose/replicate cruise control due to needing a bigger wheel) but it's technically an option.

4. Find a long enough V belt to go around both the power steering and A/C. Probably a good way to burn belts (since they're not rated to drive three different things), but since the pulleys would be inline, it's possible

5. Find a way to shove the A/C compressor forward one belt and have it use what would normally be the P/S routing. Probably a reason why this doesn't work (hood clearance) since one would think they'd want to do that to keep common parts... but heck I dunno. I wonder if this how they were making the dealer air work?

6. (Edited in, just thought of this) Get longer mount bolts for the power steering pump, and spacer it back in it's mount to allow for the other pulley to clear. Will need to get a different belt (since it's smaller, which IMHO isn't a bad thing if it clears the bolt heads; might give the pump a bit more bite?).

All of these options stink... Unless I get lucky with the saginaw option (assuming that's at all compatible with my A/C, that is). Edit- or if the spacer idea has any merit at all.

Technically I have a few options come to think of it (trying to avoid being overly sarcastic, not in a great mood):

1.Get the non-A/C belt and install the pulley and forgo A/C. Stinks because I already rebuilt it, but I could always swap back later if I found the right part.

2. Convert to a different pump (Saginaw off an E-series, etc.) and ditch the CII. Could add complications but is an option.

3. Convert to manual steering. I dont' like it (expensive, impossible to use in parking lots, might have to loose/replicate cruise control due to needing a bigger wheel) but it's technically an option.

4. Find a long enough V belt to go around both the power steering and A/C. Probably a good way to burn belts (since they're not rated to drive three different things), but since the pulleys would be inline, it's possible

5. Find a way to shove the A/C compressor forward one belt and have it use what would normally be the P/S routing. Probably a reason why this doesn't work (hood clearance) since one would think they'd want to do that to keep common parts... but heck I dunno. I wonder if this how they were making the dealer air work?

6. (Edited in, just thought of this) Get longer mount bolts for the power steering pump, and spacer it back in it's mount to allow for the other pulley to clear. Will need to get a different belt (since it's smaller, which IMHO isn't a bad thing if it clears the bolt heads; might give the pump a bit more bite?).

All of these options stink... Unless I get lucky with the saginaw option (assuming that's at all compatible with my A/C, that is). Edit- or if the spacer idea has any merit at all.

Of those options the Saginaw sounds best. But are there any donor vans at the salvages there? And you need to map through what the A/C bracketry looks like. And the hoses.

On Option 6, if I understand what you are saying you'd use spacers behind the pump's bracket to move it back so the pulley lines up with the belt. Right? But the pulley uses a smaller belt? Or the pulley is smaller in diameter so you need a shorter belt?

This might work, assuming the pulley won't hit the bolt heads or the bracket. Have you pressed the pulley on to see?

Of those options the Saginaw sounds best. But are there any donor vans at the salvages there? And you need to map through what the A/C bracketry looks like. And the hoses.

On Option 6, if I understand what you are saying you'd use spacers behind the pump's bracket to move it back so the pulley lines up with the belt. Right? But the pulley uses a smaller belt? Or the pulley is smaller in diameter so you need a shorter belt?

This might work, assuming the pulley won't hit the bolt heads or the bracket. Have you pressed the pulley on to see?

No donor vans old enough to have v belts and with a 300. Looking at the online inventory at several yards. There's on in dayton with a 1980 F150 ... but they listed an invalid VIN number. Shot them an email to see what engine it has before I make the trek up there.

No donor vans old enough to have v belts and with a 300. Looking at the online inventory at several yards. There's on in dayton with a 1980 F150 ... but they listed an invalid VIN number. Shot them an email to see what engine it has before I make the trek up there.

Figured out the VIN issue... The engine code "E" doesn't exist. But a "B" would be a 300... So there's hope?

Also has the trim that was destroyed on mine. Might go over and kill two birds with one stone?

Figured out the VIN issue... The engine code "E" doesn't exist. But a "B" would be a 300... So there's hope?

Also has the trim that was destroyed on mine. Might go over and kill two birds with one stone?

It was a 300... but no A/C. I did get the trim though... which is in very good shape indeed! Will be a rainy day project to install down the road...

I did find a pulley that's very close to correct. Close enough to work out for the moment at least:

IMG_20210926_164905.thumb.jpg.2255f9304e91bd3a82f56fbf57d6fee9.jpg

IMG_20210926_205007.thumb.jpg.164e2ad1da9a137b521927c0e5c989e0.jpg

It's off a 1978 Ranchero with a 351M (sad to see in a JY, the floors were rotted out). It's the same effective diameter but a shade too far forward. Like 1/8" or so. If it becomes an issue, I'll shim the pump back with some washers (shim washers if I'm an overachiever). On the plus side, unlike the old pulley (which honestly was worn out and needed replacement anyway), I no longer have belt slippage when I hit my steering stops.

Yay?

It was a 300... but no A/C. I did get the trim though... which is in very good shape indeed! Will be a rainy day project to install down the road...

I did find a pulley that's very close to correct. Close enough to work out for the moment at least:

It's off a 1978 Ranchero with a 351M (sad to see in a JY, the floors were rotted out). It's the same effective diameter but a shade too far forward. Like 1/8" or so. If it becomes an issue, I'll shim the pump back with some washers (shim washers if I'm an overachiever). On the plus side, unlike the old pulley (which honestly was worn out and needed replacement anyway), I no longer have belt slippage when I hit my steering stops.

Yay?

Yay! 1/8" isn't much of an error on a vee belt. I've seen them far worse than that and going strong. WelderScott's '78 F150 had the power steering pump cocked at an angle as well as being off more than 1/8" and it was fine. However, we put the pump and pulley on from Dad's truck and it lined up perfectly.

Yay?

Good find! Glad it worked out.