Bullnose Forums

Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

Late to the thread but glad to hear you are ok.

If I recall correctly you will be coming through this area (Springfield, MO) to get to the show so if there are still some parts needed, we might be able to schedule some time in the local jy.

I'll be stopping in Rolla for an evening/overnight to see a buddy. No bueno. Plus I want to see what I come up with before yanking at a JY.

On the way back is still an open question... but unless they're open on the Sunday before Labor Day, no good. Otherwise, given that the two things that would inspire me to hit up Texas before coming home aren't happening most likely (nobody replies to messages, COVID paranoia, etc.), I could make the return a two-day affair and stop in Springfield to spend an afternoon yanking parts.

I have a lead on a local yard that may have parts... but it's from a buddy who isn't a Ford truck expert so I dunno.

Either way, I'll make a note to pack my JY toolbox and bring it with me. Just like the "old" days (a handful of years ago) when I lived in an apartment/at my parents' house and all my hand tools were stored in my Ranger's camper shell.

----

Gary- If I take the radiator support, I'll take the brackets too... I'll still need upper and lower valences (and a RH headlight holder if I don't straighten mine) but IIRC those are easy enough to pull with any grille parts needing pulled.

Dunno on the shroud... mine came off in pieces. I can piece it back together though and see.

Fan clutch: left or right thread? On mine it's left handed (but some like my Ranger's 4.0 are right handed)

I'll be stopping in Rolla for an evening/overnight to see a buddy. No bueno. Plus I want to see what I come up with before yanking at a JY.

On the way back is still an open question... but unless they're open on the Sunday before Labor Day, no good. Otherwise, given that the two things that would inspire me to hit up Texas before coming home aren't happening most likely (nobody replies to messages, COVID paranoia, etc.), I could make the return a two-day affair and stop in Springfield to spend an afternoon yanking parts.

I have a lead on a local yard that may have parts... but it's from a buddy who isn't a Ford truck expert so I dunno.

Either way, I'll make a note to pack my JY toolbox and bring it with me. Just like the "old" days (a handful of years ago) when I lived in an apartment/at my parents' house and all my hand tools were stored in my Ranger's camper shell.

----

Gary- If I take the radiator support, I'll take the brackets too... I'll still need upper and lower valences (and a RH headlight holder if I don't straighten mine) but IIRC those are easy enough to pull with any grille parts needing pulled.

Dunno on the shroud... mine came off in pieces. I can piece it back together though and see.

Fan clutch: left or right thread? On mine it's left handed (but some like my Ranger's 4.0 are right handed)

Larry - You can have the brackets whether you take the radiator support.

As for valances, I may have them as well, but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the term. Can you point them out in a pic?

On the fan clutch, I'll check. May be later today or tomorrow as we are running errands today.

Larry - You can have the brackets whether you take the radiator support.

As for valances, I may have them as well, but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the term. Can you point them out in a pic?

On the fan clutch, I'll check. May be later today or tomorrow as we are running errands today.

The sheet metal above and below the grille. Thin stuff.

My upper might be able to be straightened (the one with the vacuum diagram). The lower was already messed up and is now pretzeled beyond recognition.

No sweat on the fan clutch. I might just buy a new one if they're available... I have had them fail before.

The sheet metal above and below the grille. Thin stuff.

My upper might be able to be straightened (the one with the vacuum diagram). The lower was already messed up and is now pretzeled beyond recognition.

No sweat on the fan clutch. I might just buy a new one if they're available... I have had them fail before.

Regarding the radiator: It appears that your truck is a 1984. Gary mentioned that he had a V8 radiator with the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. I have a radiator for a 4.9L. The thing is that it was pulled from a 1985 and the mounts are different. I can bring it to the show and you may have it for free and see if you can make it work. If not, give it to someone else. :nabble_anim_handshake:

The donor truck was a city utility truck with 61K miles [i have had the radiator for several years]. It is an aftermarket radiator and looks pretty new. The donor truck had an automatic transmission, so the radiator has the internal cooler lines.

Regarding the radiator: It appears that your truck is a 1984. Gary mentioned that he had a V8 radiator with the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. I have a radiator for a 4.9L. The thing is that it was pulled from a 1985 and the mounts are different. I can bring it to the show and you may have it for free and see if you can make it work. If not, give it to someone else. :nabble_anim_handshake:

The donor truck was a city utility truck with 61K miles [i have had the radiator for several years]. It is an aftermarket radiator and looks pretty new. The donor truck had an automatic transmission, so the radiator has the internal cooler lines.

What an offer, David! And if he takes Big Blue's '85 radiator support I think it'll bolt in. Or another '85 or later support. Or modify an earlier support using the tabs off of Big Blue's support, as shown in the documentation.

As for the other bits, we just got home from getting our booster shots and picking up BB from the A/C shop, so when I change and get out to the shop I'll see what else I have.

What an offer, David! And if he takes Big Blue's '85 radiator support I think it'll bolt in. Or another '85 or later support. Or modify an earlier support using the tabs off of Big Blue's support, as shown in the documentation.

As for the other bits, we just got home from getting our booster shots and picking up BB from the A/C shop, so when I change and get out to the shop I'll see what else I have.

Larry - I think these are the "valances" you need. Right? If so, they are in the ever-growing stack for you.

Stuff_For_Larry.thumb.jpg.50d014e84fe2c0ae8b88121cadadacae.jpg

And here are two views of the 1990 460 fan and clutch. As you can see it bolts to the water pump and the fan bolts to the clutch.

Hucks_Fan_-_Front.thumb.jpg.0d6627e8bb5926b36e85ac41d2c3e254.jpgHucks_Fan_-_Back.thumb.jpg.d602612aa38f6a78debda9465f560aaa.jpg

Larry - I think these are the "valances" you need. Right? If so, they are in the ever-growing stack for you.

And here are two views of the 1990 460 fan and clutch. As you can see it bolts to the water pump and the fan bolts to the clutch.

Garagemahal... the go to place! It reminds me of years ago: guys helping each other.

Yes on the valences. You got 'em.

The clutch is different; yours has a water pump pulley bolt flange (like my former 1995 Chevy Astro had), mine has a threaded stub, threaded to self tighten (which way the pump rotates dictates which way the snout and stub are threaded).

2715__ra_p.jpg.78aac6e4def0ad13b9f445c48ffbe828.jpg

Rockauto has them for $25-$40 a pop... so no biggie if I buy new. I have had these fail before (bad bearings, won't lock up when hot, etc.) so may not be a good idea to go used in the first place. My fan is good as far as I know.

---

Unrelated item: while I have this system apart, there's no better time to install a tranny cooler. Something else I need to figure out I guess...

Missed this!

Hmm... Are there rubber pieces I'd still need to find? I have the 1984 ones still... but I don't know if the difference is up top or down below.

On further review Gary's fan shroud looks completely different than mine. Mine was a lot squarer, his looks more like what my ranger uses with the fan hole being bigger than the "funnel" Maybe because of fan size differences? Hopefully my wife neglected to take the driveway trash out... I'll pull the chunks out and try to piece it together after work...