Bullnose Forums

Separating steering knuckle from wheel spindle 4x4

Hi all, I am tearing apart a 1995 F150 4x4 in order to convert my 81 to 4wd. I have the parts stripped off the 95 and sitting in my shop. I am in the process of tearing down the front half, it's pretty rusty but I think it will be serviceable after a good blasting. I have the front hubs disassembled and am at the point where the only 4 pieces left on each side are these:

Steering knuckle

Half shaft/U joint assembly

TTB arm

Wheel spindle

It seems that the key to disassembly from this point is to remove the wheel spindle. This will allow access to removing the half shafts and the upper and lower ball joints.

Problem is, the wheel spindle is stuck to the steering knuckle, but good. I have been soaking with PB blaster and trying to wedge a chisel in between the two for days. But no sign of it letting go anytime soon. I have also tried some heat. Nothing.

Anybody been down this road before and have any words of wisdom? Thanks!

Yes, been there, done that, have the scars to prove it.

Start reading in Big Blue's Transformation here. Make sure your read Bob's suggestion here. And the upgrade. And finally the success story here.

Thanks Gary, I had not thought of constructing a puller, I will try that! I was trying to think of ways to involve the shop press, but I really don't see a good way there.

Thanks Gary, I had not thought of constructing a puller, I will try that! I was trying to think of ways to involve the shop press, but I really don't see a good way there.

I didn't struggle nearly the way you two are/have on your spindles, even on my crusty Dana 60. But that's probably because the backside of both of my spindles were coated in anti-seize once I removed them. Not sure who did it, but I'm glad they did. When I put everything back together, I also lathered the contact surfaces in anti-seize, and I advise you do the same.

I didn't struggle nearly the way you two are/have on your spindles, even on my crusty Dana 60. But that's probably because the backside of both of my spindles were coated in anti-seize once I removed them. Not sure who did it, but I'm glad they did. When I put everything back together, I also lathered the contact surfaces in anti-seize, and I advise you do the same.

Yes, anti-seize now coats the back of Big Blue's spindles. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, anti-seize now coats the back of Big Blue's spindles. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary, I'm glad you could find where I wrote that up. Saves me from doing it again! It's not a fast way to go, and getting the hole in the plate to start with takes some doin'. But it always seems to work. And remember the key is to whack the standoffs with a hammer. That's where the magic happens. You don't need to try to pull it off with the wrench on the nut. Get it tight, but don't go crazy.

And yes, anti-seize is your friend! Try to clean it up pretty good with a file or wire wheel or something, then be generous with the anti-seize. You'll be glad you did the next time it has to come apart.

Gary, I'm glad you could find where I wrote that up. Saves me from doing it again! It's not a fast way to go, and getting the hole in the plate to start with takes some doin'. But it always seems to work. And remember the key is to whack the standoffs with a hammer. That's where the magic happens. You don't need to try to pull it off with the wrench on the nut. Get it tight, but don't go crazy.

And yes, anti-seize is your friend! Try to clean it up pretty good with a file or wire wheel or something, then be generous with the anti-seize. You'll be glad you did the next time it has to come apart.

Bob - I knew where it was, meaning in Big Blue's Transformation. But that seems to have more than a page or two (:nabble_smiley_blush:) and it took some searching. But, the search function on this forum works amazingly well - if you find the right terms.

And yes, the magic is in the smacks with a mallet. Then take up the slack with the nut and hit it again.

Bob - I knew where it was, meaning in Big Blue's Transformation. But that seems to have more than a page or two (:nabble_smiley_blush:) and it took some searching. But, the search function on this forum works amazingly well - if you find the right terms.

And yes, the magic is in the smacks with a mallet. Then take up the slack with the nut and hit it again.

You can get a loaner-tool. I think this was from Napa, not sure.

IMG_3385.jpg.6c441572863b793167423584ab7c31a0.jpg

You can get a loaner-tool. I think this was from Napa, not sure.

Interesting - that looks as though it is pushing against the stub axle? I think that would only work if everything is still installed on the vehicle. Since it is mostly torn down in my case, the halfshafts are just flopping around in there, but still trapped. I don't think this tool would have anything to push against.

Seems like installing the nut on the spindle threads and using a 3-jaw puller against that would accomplish the same thing, although with more chance of slippage.

Interesting - that looks as though it is pushing against the stub axle? I think that would only work if everything is still installed on the vehicle. Since it is mostly torn down in my case, the halfshafts are just flopping around in there, but still trapped. I don't think this tool would have anything to push against.

Seems like installing the nut on the spindle threads and using a 3-jaw puller against that would accomplish the same thing, although with more chance of slippage.

Not sure why it's called a 'nut remover'... It threads directly on to the spindle on one side and a slide hammer on to the other end. Doesn't push on anything. If you get a hefty slide hammer with it, the job should be easy.