Bullnose Forums

Best Shock For The Money

Ive had Kyb gas ajusts, for a truck I think they perform better and last longer than excelGs.

Bilstein 4600s are a good shock. Theyre the blue and yellow. They are a little rough on road but if you do a mix of on and off road, they are a good compromise. They will last longer with harder wear than KYB. But if you are strictly onroad, I see little need for Bils.

Bilstein 5100, silvers, are a good off road shock. I know people who run them on road and I dont see why. Its kind of like mud tires on a mall crawler. I wouldnt really mention them in a thread about best bang for the buck except to say you dont need to feel like youre missing out. Ive got these on my truck because I hauled water om bad roads. They actually did soak up the TTB front end really well. The rear is another matter. When the axle drops, I bounce out of the driver seat.

Ive worn out every shock Ive mentioned. At the end of the day, all off the shelf shocks have a lifespan. How long they last depends on what kind of driving you do. The only reason Id buy premium shocks is if youre expecting to cycle the suspension rapidly, as in doing washboard roads. This kills shocks the fastest, due to the build up of heat. If you find yourself wearing shocks fastrr than you feel like replacing them, places like 4wheelparts offer a lifetime replacement for 15$ per shock.

And Im cheap too. I always buy the cheapest shock and push it til Its almost dead.

Id go with either KyB gasajust or Bilstein 4600s.

KYB's Excel-G is a dual tube shock. The Gas-A-Just is a monotube shock... higher performance (no foaming) and price; I've heard mixed reviews on which lasts longer. The monomax is an upgraded gas-a-just... Not as familiar with them as I haven't had anything warranting such that needed new shocks/struts.

It's a bit corny with wooden acting, but here's a breakdown from KYB on what's what, in the context of SUVs:

KYB's Excel-G is a dual tube shock. The Gas-A-Just is a monotube shock... higher performance (no foaming) and price; I've heard mixed reviews on which lasts longer. The monomax is an upgraded gas-a-just... Not as familiar with them as I haven't had anything warranting such that needed new shocks/struts.

It's a bit corny with wooden acting, but here's a breakdown from KYB on what's what, in the context of SUVs:

That wasn’t good acting? :nabble_smiley_cool: