Bullnose Forums

Smog pump delete and engine bay cleanup 1986 Aussie Bronco

Wow, that Pantera sounds awesome! I'm not very au fait with them, but my friend Tim Meyer is making aluminum, and soon cast iron, Cleveland blocks and several of the aluminium ones have gone down your way for some of those, and other, cars.

As for the solenoids, I suspect they are the TAB and TAD shown in the page from the 1985 EVTM below. And having done away with their source of air by removing the pump you obviously no longer need them. However, what I don't know is what happens when the ECU realizes they aren't there. I suspect it'll get its knickers in a twist and put you in limp-home mode, meaning lock the timing to base.

I don't know what it takes to fool the ECU, but I'd bet an inductor/coil of the right value would suffice. Maybe even a resistor.

Thanks Gary

Looking at that diagram I'm going to say that the red wire off fuse link 2 appears correct as it daisy chains all solenoids.

From the other side shall I presume that 362 is yellow, 360 is dark grey or dark green?, 190 is white with a red trace and 200 is white with a black trace?

If the car codes, there is no visual indication on the dash correct?

So the only way to know if it throws a code is to have the Ford code reading gizmo that Rembrant mentioned earlier. I checked ebay Oz but nothing. There are a few in the USA though. I'll just have to find one that the seller will ship to Oz.

Here's my Pantera. Purchased from NJ, imported it and drove the wheels off it then six years ago started a full restoration. This is how she sits today.

2.jpg.01ed0f98527d6f46a83993f8c86c896f.jpg

Thanks Gary

Looking at that diagram I'm going to say that the red wire off fuse link 2 appears correct as it daisy chains all solenoids.

From the other side shall I presume that 362 is yellow, 360 is dark grey or dark green?, 190 is white with a red trace and 200 is white with a black trace?

If the car codes, there is no visual indication on the dash correct?

So the only way to know if it throws a code is to have the Ford code reading gizmo that Rembrant mentioned earlier. I checked ebay Oz but nothing. There are a few in the USA though. I'll just have to find one that the seller will ship to Oz.

Here's my Pantera. Purchased from NJ, imported it and drove the wheels off it then six years ago started a full restoration. This is how she sits today.

That Pantera looks wonderful! And if you aren't documenting the restoration elsewhere feel free to do so here. :nabble_smiley_beam:

On the wire colors, the first few pages of the EVTMs provide the decoder ring, as shown below. So DG is dark green.

But a word of caution: Prior to 1986 the wires had stripes, dots, and hash marks. In theory in 1986 Ford did away with the dots and hash marks in favor of stripes. BUT, 1985 was a transition year for sure as Big Blue has some stripes where he should have dots or hash marks, and others have reported the same. So I cannot say hand-on-heart that 1986 is all stripes.

As for code reading, you don't need a reader, just a test light or an analog voltmeter. See the Code Reading tab at Documentation/Electrical/Electronic Engine Control (EEC) and then go to the EEC IV tab and then the Code Reading tab.

1985-etm-page1.thumb.jpg.3a1d6d3b7f38b6ea010e5c66f5ceb08a.jpg

That Pantera looks wonderful! And if you aren't documenting the restoration elsewhere feel free to do so here. :nabble_smiley_beam:

On the wire colors, the first few pages of the EVTMs provide the decoder ring, as shown below. So DG is dark green.

But a word of caution: Prior to 1986 the wires had stripes, dots, and hash marks. In theory in 1986 Ford did away with the dots and hash marks in favor of stripes. BUT, 1985 was a transition year for sure as Big Blue has some stripes where he should have dots or hash marks, and others have reported the same. So I cannot say hand-on-heart that 1986 is all stripes.

As for code reading, you don't need a reader, just a test light or an analog voltmeter. See the Code Reading tab at Documentation/Electrical/Electronic Engine Control (EEC) and then go to the EEC IV tab and then the Code Reading tab.

Midnight here but I'm looking at the code checking and diagnostics for EEC-IV which seems to be my model as the self test out and self test in plugs are exactly what I have laying near those solenoids.

So tomorrow I'll run a test with the solenoids off and see what it throws up. If it has a hissy fit, then I can clear the codes and then jerry rig the solenoids and hide them away until I get rid of the EFI system completely.

I have plans for the old girl to give her back some spark with a few modern touches.

Meanwhile, here's the back end of my 'other' Ford powered beast.

IMG_4866.jpg.ed23124e0f232e1f15c0a7a07cbaacfb.jpg

Midnight here but I'm looking at the code checking and diagnostics for EEC-IV which seems to be my model as the self test out and self test in plugs are exactly what I have laying near those solenoids.

So tomorrow I'll run a test with the solenoids off and see what it throws up. If it has a hissy fit, then I can clear the codes and then jerry rig the solenoids and hide them away until I get rid of the EFI system completely.

I have plans for the old girl to give her back some spark with a few modern touches.

Meanwhile, here's the back end of my 'other' Ford powered beast.

Sounds like a plan, Stan. :nabble_smiley_good: