Bullnose Forums

nothing special motorhome thread

I think I understand. And I agree that the shut-off relay that disconnects the camper battery from the camper system uses power when it is on, but I'd hope that "on" is when the camper battery is connected to the camper system.

Yes, that's what I meant. But I realized re-reading my post that it sort of does read that it draws power when the relay is on, shutting the battery off. That's not what I meant though. Relay on to connect battery to camper, relay off to shut it down.

.... So the question will be what the voltages are on the batteries when they have no load on them but have been fully charged.

I might check that today. But it's raining, so I might not either!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I understand. And I agree that the shut-off relay that disconnects the camper battery from the camper system uses power when it is on, but I'd hope that "on" is when the camper battery is connected to the camper system.

Yes, that's what I meant. But I realized re-reading my post that it sort of does read that it draws power when the relay is on, shutting the battery off. That's not what I meant though. Relay on to connect battery to camper, relay off to shut it down.

.... So the question will be what the voltages are on the batteries when they have no load on them but have been fully charged.

I might check that today. But it's raining, so I might not either!

I put a voltmeter on the batteries this weekend. This was about 2 weeks after they were last charged (and I didn't check what they were when they were being charged). The camper battery was at 12.6V and the van battery was at 12.2V. The 12.2 seems low to me, and I might need to replace that battery soon. But I think the next thing will be to see what voltage the batteries are getting when the 110V power supply is plugged in. If that's too high or too low I'll need to get that looked at. But that'll wait a couple weeks until the next time I'm running the generator.

In other news, last fall when I was winterizing the motorhome I noticed I had a leak between the gray tank and the drain valves. I pulled it apart then, and over the winter I went to a Camping World and got the sealant they recommended, but figured I shouldn't try to use it when it was cold. On Saturday we got into the 80s, so it was a perfect time for a little motorhome maintenance.

Nothing really to report at this point other than it's back together. I'll have to wait until there's water in it to see if there's any leak.

IMG_20240316_094052745.thumb.jpg.0d7173949aa95cf35127b0b2aa05f4b4.jpg

I put a voltmeter on the batteries this weekend. This was about 2 weeks after they were last charged (and I didn't check what they were when they were being charged). The camper battery was at 12.6V and the van battery was at 12.2V. The 12.2 seems low to me, and I might need to replace that battery soon. But I think the next thing will be to see what voltage the batteries are getting when the 110V power supply is plugged in. If that's too high or too low I'll need to get that looked at. But that'll wait a couple weeks until the next time I'm running the generator.

In other news, last fall when I was winterizing the motorhome I noticed I had a leak between the gray tank and the drain valves. I pulled it apart then, and over the winter I went to a Camping World and got the sealant they recommended, but figured I shouldn't try to use it when it was cold. On Saturday we got into the 80s, so it was a perfect time for a little motorhome maintenance.

Nothing really to report at this point other than it's back together. I'll have to wait until there's water in it to see if there's any leak.

12.6 might be ok, but 12.2 isn't - assuming there isn't load on either battery.

You might want to check to see if you have much in the way of dark current by placing your DVM in the 200ma mode and placing it between the positive post and the positive cable. However, a number of the systems on Big Blue have fairly high current in startup mode, so I like to connect the DVM before disconnecting the battery cable so there isn't any startup mode.

• 2 weeks later...

12.6 might be ok, but 12.2 isn't - assuming there isn't load on either battery.

You might want to check to see if you have much in the way of dark current by placing your DVM in the 200ma mode and placing it between the positive post and the positive cable. However, a number of the systems on Big Blue have fairly high current in startup mode, so I like to connect the DVM before disconnecting the battery cable so there isn't any startup mode.

Time to run the generator again. I checked the camper battery before trying to start the generator and it was at 12.4V. This was after sitting for about a month after being charged.

That was enough juice to start the generator. I checked the battery voltage with the generator running and it was about 13.4 at first, and was up to 13.56 after about half an hour. So it doesn't look like my power supply is over-charging the batteries.

I checked the camper battery again right after shutting the generator off and it was at 12.8V.

The camper battery is a deep cycle battery, so I'm not going to worry too much about it. And about the worst thing that happens if it won't hold a charge long is that the furnace shuts off in the middle of the night when we're stopped on the road. But I don't expect to need the furnace in the next few trips, so even more reason to not worry.

I'm a little more concerned about the starting battery in the van. I didn't check it this weekend, but starting batteries never like being run low. I'll be getting the motorhome out of storage in a few weeks to get ready for the next trip, and I'll look closer at that battery then. It might get replaced soon.

Time to run the generator again. I checked the camper battery before trying to start the generator and it was at 12.4V. This was after sitting for about a month after being charged.

That was enough juice to start the generator. I checked the battery voltage with the generator running and it was about 13.4 at first, and was up to 13.56 after about half an hour. So it doesn't look like my power supply is over-charging the batteries.

I checked the camper battery again right after shutting the generator off and it was at 12.8V.

The camper battery is a deep cycle battery, so I'm not going to worry too much about it. And about the worst thing that happens if it won't hold a charge long is that the furnace shuts off in the middle of the night when we're stopped on the road. But I don't expect to need the furnace in the next few trips, so even more reason to not worry.

I'm a little more concerned about the starting battery in the van. I didn't check it this weekend, but starting batteries never like being run low. I'll be getting the motorhome out of storage in a few weeks to get ready for the next trip, and I'll look closer at that battery then. It might get replaced soon.

12.4V isn't bad at all after all that time. And it started the generator nicely I take it?

And 13.4 initially and 13.56 is good in that it shows the generator is charging but not overcharging the battery.

As for the starting battery, a new one would be peace of mind but also might be expensive. Maybe have it load tested at the local parts store?

But getting the motorhome out "in a few weeks" sounds like you are pretty sure it is in good shape. I'm in the middle of shake-down cruises, parts replacements, tune ups, lube jobs, etc. :nabble_smiley_evil:

12.4V isn't bad at all after all that time. And it started the generator nicely I take it?

And 13.4 initially and 13.56 is good in that it shows the generator is charging but not overcharging the battery.

As for the starting battery, a new one would be peace of mind but also might be expensive. Maybe have it load tested at the local parts store?

But getting the motorhome out "in a few weeks" sounds like you are pretty sure it is in good shape. I'm in the middle of shake-down cruises, parts replacements, tune ups, lube jobs, etc. :nabble_smiley_evil:

It was in good shape when I parked it last fall. And I did start it a month ago. So I figure giving a couple of weeks in case there are any surprises isn't a bad idea, but if I give it much more than that I'm as likely to have new surprises pop up as I am to have old ones to deal with. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I am driving Pluto a bunch this month though!

As for the batteries, even with a fully charged camper battery the generator kind of starts to crank, then bogs out, then finally cranks over pretty good. And then it needs to crank for at least 10 - 15 seconds before there's ANY attempt to fire. That's what it did this weekend. So I don't know that I'd say it started nicely, but no worse than typical. And if the motorhome starts on it's own when I uncover it in a few weeks I'll leave the battery alone for now. And even if it doesn't I'm not sure I'll do anything with it yet. If the camper battery is holding a charge it's just flipping a switch to let it jump start itself. And worst case is I disconnect Pluto and pull him around to jump start it. So I won't be stranded.

So I figure giving a couple of weeks in case there are any surprises isn't a bad idea, but if I give it much more than that I'm as likely to have new surprises pop up as I am to have old ones to deal with.

Parkinson's Law: Work expands to fill the time allowed. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, I understand driving Pluto a bunch. Big Blue is getting the same treatment. Speaking of which, it is time to finish the cup of French Roast and start on the AFR meter wiring. :nabble_smiley_super:

• 2 weeks later...

So I figure giving a couple of weeks in case there are any surprises isn't a bad idea, but if I give it much more than that I'm as likely to have new surprises pop up as I am to have old ones to deal with.

Parkinson's Law: Work expands to fill the time allowed. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, I understand driving Pluto a bunch. Big Blue is getting the same treatment. Speaking of which, it is time to finish the cup of French Roast and start on the AFR meter wiring. :nabble_smiley_super:

As I said in mat's "opinions on a motorhome" thread, while I like traveling in a motorhome, if I didn't need it to bring Pluto I'd prefer to pull a travel trailer with my truck and not have to deal with another truck that only gets driven a few times a year.

The van battery was rather low after a month (~12.2V), but it cranked over the engine fine, and it started as quickly as ever. That's the good news.

But the radio didn't come on. No lights on the face. Nothing. Lesley tells me that it's going to be a long drive (for me!) out to Utah if she doesn't have a radio to sing along to! So last night I checked fuses (all good), and then pulled it out and tried checking the power.

Removing the dash to remove the radio is a pain. But I got the radio out. I couldn't figure the rats nest of wiring out, so I left it apart while I found the wiring diagram. But by then it was dark out.

So this evening I went out to try again. But now it's stone dead. The battery reads about 6V and nothing lights up on the dash when I turn the key on.

There was something clicking when I opened the door. I couldn't figure out what it was, it's somewhere in front of the driver.

Anyway, it's on a battery charger now. I need to figure out what's causing the drain. And now that this battery's been drained at least twice it needs to be replaced.

Ah, the fun of another truck that never gets used!

As I said in mat's "opinions on a motorhome" thread, while I like traveling in a motorhome, if I didn't need it to bring Pluto I'd prefer to pull a travel trailer with my truck and not have to deal with another truck that only gets driven a few times a year.

The van battery was rather low after a month (~12.2V), but it cranked over the engine fine, and it started as quickly as ever. That's the good news.

But the radio didn't come on. No lights on the face. Nothing. Lesley tells me that it's going to be a long drive (for me!) out to Utah if she doesn't have a radio to sing along to! So last night I checked fuses (all good), and then pulled it out and tried checking the power.

Removing the dash to remove the radio is a pain. But I got the radio out. I couldn't figure the rats nest of wiring out, so I left it apart while I found the wiring diagram. But by then it was dark out.

So this evening I went out to try again. But now it's stone dead. The battery reads about 6V and nothing lights up on the dash when I turn the key on.

There was something clicking when I opened the door. I couldn't figure out what it was, it's somewhere in front of the driver.

Anyway, it's on a battery charger now. I need to figure out what's causing the drain. And now that this battery's been drained at least twice it needs to be replaced.

Ah, the fun of another truck that never gets used!

I've seen trucks pulling travel trailers and vehicles. Not that I'd want to do it, but...

Still, I agree that keeping that many vehicles up to snuff ain't fun. So I understand the pain. The boat was much like that.

The clicking noise is obviously odd. To figure out what that is you might get lucky by pulling fuses one at a time. But that won't really help you find the drain. I have a fuse replacement/ammeter like this one from Amazon, and it works nicely to check the draw on each fuse. Mine actually came from Harbor Freight, but it looks a lot like that one from Amazon.

Good luck!

712XO9qlUZL.thumb.jpg.fc1ca93d09b3d1dc772742058a81d438.jpg

I've seen trucks pulling travel trailers and vehicles. Not that I'd want to do it, but...

Still, I agree that keeping that many vehicles up to snuff ain't fun. So I understand the pain. The boat was much like that.

The clicking noise is obviously odd. To figure out what that is you might get lucky by pulling fuses one at a time. But that won't really help you find the drain. I have a fuse replacement/ammeter like this one from Amazon, and it works nicely to check the draw on each fuse. Mine actually came from Harbor Freight, but it looks a lot like that one from Amazon.

Good luck!

In some states, Minnesota included*, you can't legally pull a trailer AND tow a vehicle. So I'm limited to a motorhome that can tow Pluto, or a BIG toy-hauler fifth-wheel that could carry Pluto inside. I guess those exist, but even the biggest ones I've seen, that are still too small to carry Pluto, need at least an F-450 to tow them. So I'm back to needing another truck that's just used on vacations.

Well, OK, I could go the redneck toy-hauler route: get a big gooseneck trailer and strap a slide-in camper to the front and park Pluto on the back. But Lesley vetoes that idea!

* Minnesota's laws about towing multiple trailers are weird. You can tow a trailer behind a fith-wheel behind a pickup. But the second trailer needs to be carrying a limited number of things. Boats, motorcycles and ATVs are allowed, but a car (or Bronco) isn't. The really odd thing about the law is that if you have an ATV on the second trailer you're legal, but if you unload the ATV and put something else on the same trailer you're not legal. It makes no sense, but it doesn't have to make sense to still get you in trouble.