Bullnose Forums

nothing special motorhome thread

I first looked under the hood and couldn't see accessing anything that way. Then I tried removing the dog house, but after loosening the clips I could hardly move it. It was "loose", but was sticking on something before moving more than 1/4" or so. So then I Googled it and found that you are supposed to go through the hood. Looking closer I see that if I take the air filter and ducting off I will have a pretty straight shot. It's back under the cowl a bit so it will mean leaning over and reaching it quite a ways. But it is a lot closer to the hood than to the dog house, so that's definitely going to be the path to take.

Ok, good luck! Hope it goes well.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, good luck! Hope it goes well.

I don't know. Can anyone figure out why my throttle actuator won't work???

DSC_3612.jpg.6074af53d326a3306e9cc4a32ccd4403.jpg

The first thing to do to get to the throttle body is to remove the air cleaner. I pretty much knew what my problem was at that point! There was a squirrel nest pretty much filling the entire intake track (I could tell it wasn't mice because of the size of the six hairless babies). There wasn't any to be seen downstream of the throttle (other than what's peeking through in this picture) so I don't think I put anything to worry about into the engine. After pulling the throttle body (and all of the upstream plumbing) I cleaned it out and put it back on and the motorhome started right up and ran fine!

It was a bit of a stretch to reach the bolts holding the throttle body on, but not too bad. I did have to get a mirror to see one of them, so getting a socket wrench on it was a treat, but once it was on it was easy to remove the bolt (and I was able to find the bolt after it dropped into the V below the intake manifold). Putting it back on was actually a little easier than getting it off. So not a difficult job, and very satisfying to get done!

I do still need to get a new air filter. And I figured out where I can attach some hardware cloth across the air flow before the air filter to keep them from getting in again. I suppose junk getting sucked in could end up clogging up the cloth, but the filter really wasn't all that dirty, so I think it'll be fine. And it'll be easy to check.

The first thing to do to get to the throttle body is to remove the air cleaner. I pretty much knew what my problem was at that point! There was a squirrel nest pretty much filling the entire intake track (I could tell it wasn't mice because of the size of the six hairless babies). There wasn't any to be seen downstream of the throttle (other than what's peeking through in this picture) so I don't think I put anything to worry about into the engine. After pulling the throttle body (and all of the upstream plumbing) I cleaned it out and put it back on and the motorhome started right up and ran fine!

It was a bit of a stretch to reach the bolts holding the throttle body on, but not too bad. I did have to get a mirror to see one of them, so getting a socket wrench on it was a treat, but once it was on it was easy to remove the bolt (and I was able to find the bolt after it dropped into the V below the intake manifold). Putting it back on was actually a little easier than getting it off. So not a difficult job, and very satisfying to get done!

I do still need to get a new air filter. And I figured out where I can attach some hardware cloth across the air flow before the air filter to keep them from getting in again. I suppose junk getting sucked in could end up clogging up the cloth, but the filter really wasn't all that dirty, so I think it'll be fine. And it'll be easy to check.

Wow! Yes, I think I can just about work out why it didn't work. Almost as easy as figuring out why my power steering nor brakes worked today. :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad you got that sorted. And yes, hardware cloth sounds like a good solution. :nabble_anim_claps:

Wow!

Wow!

Today I picked up a new air filter. I also fastened some hardware cloth into the air filter housing to keep rodents from getting in again. Here's a picture of that:

DSC_3616.jpg.b8d10d7b74b4bfb9b4dc74d0d6a6e3b8.jpg

Since I didn't have a new air filter and hadn't yet put in the hardware cloth, yesterday I had left the first piece of ducting off and put tape over the inlet of the second piece. Turns out that was probably a good idea! In the picture above you can see a pretty large hole in the upper left of the air filter housing. That hole was 1/2" ID yesterday! Apparently momma came back looking for her babies.

Anyway, it's all together now and seems to be running fine (although I haven't taken it for a test drive yet). It is still showing the P2111 code. It's not showing a check engine light though, so if it passes some test drives I think I won't worry about it much.

And now on to your regularly scheduled Bronco project (in my Bronco thread)

Today I picked up a new air filter. I also fastened some hardware cloth into the air filter housing to keep rodents from getting in again. Here's a picture of that:

Since I didn't have a new air filter and hadn't yet put in the hardware cloth, yesterday I had left the first piece of ducting off and put tape over the inlet of the second piece. Turns out that was probably a good idea! In the picture above you can see a pretty large hole in the upper left of the air filter housing. That hole was 1/2" ID yesterday! Apparently momma came back looking for her babies.

Anyway, it's all together now and seems to be running fine (although I haven't taken it for a test drive yet). It is still showing the P2111 code. It's not showing a check engine light though, so if it passes some test drives I think I won't worry about it much.

And now on to your regularly scheduled Bronco project (in my Bronco thread)

Sure glad you put the tape on! But, what are you going to do about the hole?

Sure glad you put the tape on! But, what are you going to do about the hole?

For now all I did was put some tape over it. I suppose I could add more hardware cloth, but now that momma knows her kids aren't there I think (hope?) she won't be as motivated to get in. And with the big opening closed off I shouldn't have trouble with new nests.

• 2 months later...
.... The motorhome is now parked for the winter, and we don't have any definite plans for any future motorhome trips at this point. But we are tentatively planning a trip to southwestern Utah in fall of 2022, and I'm sure we'll get something else worked in next summer as well.

That was from last November. Today we finished the "something else" trip I mentioned. It turned out to be going to St. Croix State Park, about 100 miles north of here, for a 4 day weekend. Not much of an adventure, but it was a trip, so here it is.

It was a pretty laid-back trip, with only a 100 mile drive each way. We met some friends there and did some hiking and biking. It rained on Saturday (which was nice because it broke the heat and humidity we had Thursday and Friday), so we played games in our friend's travel trailer. And after the rain stopped we played some yard games.

This was the trip I thought I needed to get the Bronco running for, but I'm glad we didn't bring it. Walking and biking were better ways to get around for what we wanted to do anyway.

Not a lot of pictures from this trip, but here are Lesley and I standing on the bank of the St. Croix River. We're standing in Minnesota, and that's Wisconsin on the other side.

DSC_3705.jpg.c8c8ebcaf44c39da761e2f2bee3724fe.jpg

Playing yard games in the campground:

DSC_3711.jpg.c89a27f83f82288b28940e2094e45214.jpg

Then on our way out we drove down this dirt road to climb up a fire tower. This is where not having the Bronco was either unfortunate or very fortunate. It would've been less stressful driving the Bronco on this road. But if we had still chosen to do it on the way out (as we did today), we would've been stuck at the end of this dirt road with no way to turn around. It was a challenge with just the motorhome. It wouldn't have happened with the Bronco in tow.

DSC_3720.jpg.01d9fdadd349f666a39ef679ea6e70fc.jpg

So that was that trip. We do have the Utah trip booked, so that will be the next time we drive the motorhome. And I REALLY need to get the Bronco running for THAT trip!

.... The motorhome is now parked for the winter, and we don't have any definite plans for any future motorhome trips at this point. But we are tentatively planning a trip to southwestern Utah in fall of 2022, and I'm sure we'll get something else worked in next summer as well.

That was from last November. Today we finished the "something else" trip I mentioned. It turned out to be going to St. Croix State Park, about 100 miles north of here, for a 4 day weekend. Not much of an adventure, but it was a trip, so here it is.

It was a pretty laid-back trip, with only a 100 mile drive each way. We met some friends there and did some hiking and biking. It rained on Saturday (which was nice because it broke the heat and humidity we had Thursday and Friday), so we played games in our friend's travel trailer. And after the rain stopped we played some yard games.

This was the trip I thought I needed to get the Bronco running for, but I'm glad we didn't bring it. Walking and biking were better ways to get around for what we wanted to do anyway.

Not a lot of pictures from this trip, but here are Lesley and I standing on the bank of the St. Croix River. We're standing in Minnesota, and that's Wisconsin on the other side.

Then on our way out we drove down this dirt road to climb up a fire tower. This is where not having the Bronco was either unfortunate or very fortunate. It would've been less stressful driving the Bronco on this road. But if we had still chosen to do it on the way out (as we did today), we would've been stuck at the end of this dirt road with no way to turn around. It was a challenge with just the motorhome. It wouldn't have happened with the Bronco in tow.

So that was that trip. We do have the Utah trip booked, so that will be the next time we drive the motorhome. And I REALLY need to get the Bronco running for THAT trip!

Sounds like a very fun, and laid-back, trip. :nabble_anim_claps:

And the Bronco would have been in the way, so all's well that ends well. Now you have time to do it right. :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice! I like the scenery! Looks like a neat place to visit.