Bullnose Forums

First Aid Kit?

Rusty - The question of what I'll run into is one I hadn't really thought enough about. For instance, I didn't consider snake bites, but if you are going out in the woods you may well get bitten. And splinters are a given if you are handling wood for a fire so you'd better have good tweezers. Plus, burns are likely if you have a fire.

That suggests I need to pay more attention to what's in the kits. And I may need to customize even a fairly complete kit as I don't remember seeing one with snake-bite provisions. But, with a teeny bit of reading here (HOW TO SURVIVE A SNAKEBITE IN THE WILDERNESS) it looks like it may be more about procedure than equipment. But the information in that article would certainly be helpful in or with the kit.

So, this will take a bit more thought. Maybe research each type of problem a bit and determine what is needed in the FAK for that. And if it is more info that "stuff" print the info and put it in the kit and/or the 3-ring binder that's under the seat. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Correct, thats what I find with a lot of the generic kits out there that they are a good starter but they lack in some areas that you may need. Like the good tweezers for splinters, another good addition is good nail clippers. If you have a splinter under the skin that you cant get out with tweezers you can use the nail clipper to nip the upper layer of skin to get to the splinter. Ive had to do that before with metal shards before. Then if you are dealing with metal for example a good strong magnet is great as in many instances a magnet will pull metal shards out of the skin as well.

What I like about the gunshot wound first aid kits is that they come with QuikClot which you can buy separate it also comes with clotting sponges which many people Ive heard used tampons in place of clotting sponges for sticking in the wound. Stuff like that actually works great for more serious wounds not just gunshot wounds which is why I cant justify spending $90 for one of those first aid kits when they lack in general first aid areas. You can buy QuikClot as well as clotting sponges separate and add to a generic kit. Only thing is generic kits tend to not have a whole lot of extra room for adding to.

On the link I posted there are two that I am liking, the LXPB15 which is a molle style case which I think would go good on my bug out LBV but it doesnt have a whole lot of room for storage with its 8" x 6.5" x 3". The one that I am looking at for tossing behind the seat of my truck is the LXPB35 which is 9" x 7" x 4.5" or the LXMB10 which is 14" x 9" x 7".

On the snake bite kit it is procedure more than anything but the little suction cups for venom removal is a little more sanitary than going the old way of using your mouth to create the suction. I know many claim they dont matter anyways because the venom is already through your system in the matter of seconds but I feel if that was the case then there would be no reason in producing those kits in the first place and many of them are made by big name companies.

Rusty - When the Snakebite Foundation says the suction cups and syringes don't work I'll believe them. Yes, big name companies make them, but that's because people buy them, not because they work. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, several of the generic FAK's I'm looking at have clotting stuff in them, and I'll probably go with one of those and then add some things. But I still need to determine what those things will be. Your idea of nail clippers is a good one. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rusty - The question of what I'll run into is one I hadn't really thought enough about. For instance, I didn't consider snake bites, but if you are going out in the woods you may well get bitten. And splinters are a given if you are handling wood for a fire so you'd better have good tweezers. Plus, burns are likely if you have a fire.

That suggests I need to pay more attention to what's in the kits. And I may need to customize even a fairly complete kit as I don't remember seeing one with snake-bite provisions. But, with a teeny bit of reading here (HOW TO SURVIVE A SNAKEBITE IN THE WILDERNESS) it looks like it may be more about procedure than equipment. But the information in that article would certainly be helpful in or with the kit.

So, this will take a bit more thought. Maybe research each type of problem a bit and determine what is needed in the FAK for that. And if it is more info that "stuff" print the info and put it in the kit and/or the 3-ring binder that's under the seat. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

My wife is the one that puts our first aid kits together when we go camping and stuff but here are the items that normally dont come in a ready made kit, off the top of my head (as always):

-fabric tape, I like a good roll of it. much better than bandaids if you have a bigger cut or burn

-a decent amount of some sort of wound cleaner. We use alcohol based solutions, but everyone has their preferences. God forbid you need to use more than a wipe, but those are the items that disappear first.

-cotton balls.

We have a couple boxes that are always in the truck when we go somewhere, but like I said that's not my department. My first aid kit is a shop towel and some electrical tape.

My wife is the one that puts our first aid kits together when we go camping and stuff but here are the items that normally dont come in a ready made kit, off the top of my head (as always):

-fabric tape, I like a good roll of it. much better than bandaids if you have a bigger cut or burn

-a decent amount of some sort of wound cleaner. We use alcohol based solutions, but everyone has their preferences. God forbid you need to use more than a wipe, but those are the items that disappear first.

-cotton balls.

We have a couple boxes that are always in the truck when we go somewhere, but like I said that's not my department. My first aid kit is a shop towel and some electrical tape.

Tweezers is a really good one. Im glad that was mentioned. Splinters, cactus, a dogs face covered in porcupine quills.

The epi-pen and/or benadryl for bites and stings is extremely important. In a wilderness environment, you're more likely to deal with a bee/wasp sting or some insect you never heard of that you have a bad reaction. Its also really important to make provisions for pets and children ahead of time.

-cotton balls.

Thanks. I appreciate the input. Those kinds of things are easily added.

Thanks. I appreciate the input. Those kinds of things are easily added.

This is interesting. Lots of good ideas.

I will add along with the bigger tape and bandages, a triangular bandage. Good for holding big pads, can be a sling, or for a tourniquet.

This is interesting. Lots of good ideas.

I will add along with the bigger tape and bandages, a triangular bandage. Good for holding big pads, can be a sling, or for a tourniquet.

Subscribed. Been meaning to get something ever since that demo so looking forward to seeing what you go with.

Subscribed. Been meaning to get something ever since that demo so looking forward to seeing what you go with.

Thanks, Dane.

Scott - The guy at the trauma demo was from Switchback. I really wanted to buy from them, but having looked at their kits I'm not too impressed:

• Trauma kit: $220 and it doesn't look that impressive. When I compare it to the MyMedic MyFAK in Advanced ($240) the Switchback doesn't seem to match up.

• First aid kit: At $129 it doesn't seem to stand up to the MyFAK Basic at $120.

On top of that the Switchback doesn't tell the size of the bag, at least that I can find. But MyMedic does tell and at 7.5 x 6.5 x 5 it is a perfect fit behind the seat.

I hadn't planned to spend anywhere near that much money, but I'm about to talk myself into the Advanced MyFAK. It is one of those things that if you ever needed it you'd be glad you spent the money.

But, I'd like everyone's thoughts on it. :nabble_waving_orig:

Thanks, Dane.

Scott - The guy at the trauma demo was from Switchback. I really wanted to buy from them, but having looked at their kits I'm not too impressed:

• Trauma kit: $220 and it doesn't look that impressive. When I compare it to the MyMedic MyFAK in Advanced ($240) the Switchback doesn't seem to match up.

• First aid kit: At $129 it doesn't seem to stand up to the MyFAK Basic at $120.

On top of that the Switchback doesn't tell the size of the bag, at least that I can find. But MyMedic does tell and at 7.5 x 6.5 x 5 it is a perfect fit behind the seat.

I hadn't planned to spend anywhere near that much money, but I'm about to talk myself into the Advanced MyFAK. It is one of those things that if you ever needed it you'd be glad you spent the money.

But, I'd like everyone's thoughts on it. :nabble_waving_orig:

Much of this has already been mentioned but...

A way to clean stuff is huge. Wipes, gauze pads, alcohol, etc. But also water. And a bottle of contact lens saline solution is great for flushing junk out of eyes.

Antibiotic ointment is important. You won't get anything surgically clean, so minimizing risk of infection is important.

Band-Aids, gauze and tape.

Benadryl, some pain killers like Advil or Tylenol.

Some larger clean cloths can also be helpful for covering up bandaged areas, or making slings, tying splints or making tourniquets. That can take up a lot of space, so some extra T-shirts in your luggage might be a better way to pack that.

Tweezers, nail clippers, a nail file (laugh, but a broken nail can be really annoying and is easy to fix if you have the right stuff). And scissors to cut the gauze, tape and T-shirts.

Mole-skin if you'll be doing any hiking (blisters will ruin a hiking trip otherwise).

Pliers and/or diagonal cutters help with porcupine quills (I've never had the "opportunity" to practice this, but I hear that cutting off the exposed end "releases" the barbs, then pushing it SLIGHTLY in befpre pulling it out is the best way to get them out). But these can be in the tool box rather than the first aid kit.

Also remember that FIRST aid is just that. It's not expected to be final aid. Sure, the better job you can do the better. But the goal is to minimize damage until you can get to medical help. And while that might be many hours away, anywhere you are with a truck in this country isn't really all that far from medical help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RNSPYM

This is the kit I have mounted to the back of the cab wall behind the seat. I have their much much bigger kit in my house and it's worked well so far.

351Fun - Thanks. That one is similar to the one I have in my shop, which had been in my parents' motor home. But it is too big to go in the designated spot on Big Blue, and I really want it in a soft bag so I can squeeze it in.

Bob - Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about flushing the eyes out, but a bottle of contact lens saline solution is an excellent idea for that. And I fully agree that a broken nail, or for that matter even a hang nail, can be annoying. And while I carry a Swiss Army knife which has scissors and a nail file, that isn't as good as nail clippers so they should be included.

As for FIRST aid, you have a good point. And I'm trying to take that into consideration in my planning and purchase. I'm not a medic and I'm not trained to handle trauma - even though Scott and I sat through a seminar on the subject. So while I have a desire to have everything that I could ever need to-hand, I'm not sure that's a good idea.

On the other hand, if/when we go overlanding we'll be in the back of beyond and may not even have a cell signal. However, I may well pop for a Garmin inReach when we go and that would give me the ability to send an SOS and get medical support in an emergency, so I probably don't need the serious trauma supplies.

Hmmm... :nabble_thinking-26_orig: