Bullnose Forums

getting started on a neglected 1986 F250 2WD

Hey all-

So this truck came to me and my son as a challenge about 3 months ago: 'get it running and pay 500 bucks, don't get it running and get it for free.' The truck dictated the 'don't get it running and get it for free' option....

The truck was a Michigan farm truck (likely story) with only 75000 miles on it. The exterior condition would say 175000 miles, but after dis-assembly of the engine and driveline, I think it really only has 75k on it. The engine was extremely clean and sludge-free on all internals.

It sat in the owners driveway for 11 years. Someone tried to get it running by the evidence of new parts, but I don't think that effort was successful.

We flat-bedded it to my house and began soaking the cylinders in miracle oil for 30+ days. I would periodically put a wrench on the crank to see if it would budge. No-go. Finally, after having a serious discussion about scrapping it with my son, his optimism insisted that we go deep.

We pulled the engine and transmission and proceeded to do a forensic break down of the 351W bagging and documenting everything. Once the heads came off, the tale of #6 cylinder was clear. Water or mouse urine corroded and froze the cylinder effectively fusing the piston to the cylinder wall. We were able to get it all dis-assembled and the block is currently at the machine shop getting a spa, cylinder boring, and honing.

Under the truck it is crusty and rusty suffering from a bad case of lot-rot from sitting for so long. It does roll freely but the brake pedal is frozen. The 4 speed transmission shifts thru the gears and seems pretty sound, assuming the low miles.

The goal for this truck is to make it a reliable work truck for my son and add some cool-factors in the process, primarily a stout 351W power plant with the classic flowmaster sound, a rehabbed driveline, reliable braking, repairing the typical Ford cab rot (floor, cab corners, and door sills), and rehab the interior.

Any input regarding parts, suppliers, frame rehab chemical treatment is appreciated. I am especially interested in information about emission system delete and the tuning required. There is a strong possibility that the 351 will get an upper end massage with intake/carb/ignition and headers. I know this will spark comments about replacing heads too, but there is a limit to the budget.

If there is a reasonably priced cylinder head option, I'd consider that too. There seems to be lots of options for the 302. Not really sure if they can be shared with the 351. Lastly, any mild cam recommendations would help as well.

Looking forward to the responses and recommendations.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Sounds like a wonderful father/son project. Don't fear having your son join here as we keep it family friendly.

You might want to clone your post and start a new thread in the main section. That's because this NMSH folder doesn't get as much traffic as the main section so more people will see it and likely comment there.

As for the project, it does sound like a great way for a father & son to bond. And that should be a really solid truck when you get it going. The 351W is very well supported in the aftermarket and makes good torque as well as HP, which is perfect for a truck. And yet it won't guzzle quite the way my 460 does.

The main difference between 302 and 351W heads is the bolt hole size as the 351 takes larger bolts than the 302. But 351W heads will work fine on a 302 as the locating dowels are what position the head, so you have a wide range of options.

On the cam, if you are going to use it as a truck then I'd suggest going with one that makes torque from idle. Yes, you'll be giving up HP, but it is the torque that is needed in a heavy vehicle like a truck. I don't have any specific recommendations, but others will.

Similarly you want an intake that works at low R's, and that will be a dual plenum one like the Edelbrock Performer.

Anyway, good luck! I'm anxious to follow along.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Sounds like a wonderful father/son project. Don't fear having your son join here as we keep it family friendly.

You might want to clone your post and start a new thread in the main section. That's because this NMSH folder doesn't get as much traffic as the main section so more people will see it and likely comment there.

As for the project, it does sound like a great way for a father & son to bond. And that should be a really solid truck when you get it going. The 351W is very well supported in the aftermarket and makes good torque as well as HP, which is perfect for a truck. And yet it won't guzzle quite the way my 460 does.

The main difference between 302 and 351W heads is the bolt hole size as the 351 takes larger bolts than the 302. But 351W heads will work fine on a 302 as the locating dowels are what position the head, so you have a wide range of options.

On the cam, if you are going to use it as a truck then I'd suggest going with one that makes torque from idle. Yes, you'll be giving up HP, but it is the torque that is needed in a heavy vehicle like a truck. I don't have any specific recommendations, but others will.

Similarly you want an intake that works at low R's, and that will be a dual plenum one like the Edelbrock Performer.

Anyway, good luck! I'm anxious to follow along.

Oh no! I forgot to ask where home is? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu above) and we can add you if we had a city/state or zip.