Bullnose Forums

Where to buy: Rosewood (or similar) cruise/horn bars

Switch part swap complete. Do not recommend; the upper plastics are glued on and very fragile. was able to make it work, but it required breaking the lower plastics of my existing switches (buttons corroded, hence why I didn't just move them directly). Broke the upper too... but since I had both pieces, I was able to glue it all back together.

Yikes! That doesn’t sound like fun! Good job!

Came in today.

Good news:

-Unit is in good (enough) cosmetic shape. Only broken piece is the silver trim ring around the coast/set switch (which I'm pretty sure I have intact on mine, requires dissecting the switch).

-The fake tan leather around the cruise buttons is all one tan plastic piece unlike mine (which is a black plastic under layer with a plastic wrap containing the rosewood finish, which is all falling apart).

Bad news:

-Took it apart... found chafed wiring on the cruise buttons. Will address while I have it in pieces.

Not digging the worn fake leather finish... since I doubt I can just buy a rosewood look-alike "wallpaper" to wrap things, what to do? Paint it brown and call it close enough? Or come up with a different color scheme for the rosewood in the rest of the interior? The only other rosewood I have is on the dash (instrument cluster and radio/HVAC bezel)... it's in OK shape, but not perfect (chips/flaws) and my truck isn't a show piece either. Maybe red or orange? Ideas welcome here...

There is Rosewood vinyl wrap that you could in theory use. How ever you would probably have to do the dash bezels to get it to look the same as I dont think it is identical.

https://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl-wrap/wood-grain-vinyl-wrap/dn-wgrwb/

I was looking at this as an option for the bezel on my '78 Mercury as it was heavily damaged.

There is Rosewood vinyl wrap that you could in theory use. How ever you would probably have to do the dash bezels to get it to look the same as I dont think it is identical.

https://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl-wrap/wood-grain-vinyl-wrap/dn-wgrwb/

I was looking at this as an option for the bezel on my '78 Mercury as it was heavily damaged.

Looks pretty close actually. But Holy smokes that price... Due to minimum QTY's especially.

Might be letting it be for a while then... Or I might use the vinyl dye I used on the door panels (or something similar) and forgo the rosewood (horn bar only).

Looks pretty close actually. But Holy smokes that price... Due to minimum QTY's especially.

Might be letting it be for a while then... Or I might use the vinyl dye I used on the door panels (or something similar) and forgo the rosewood (horn bar only).

Some past discussion: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Wood-grain-vinyl-wrap-dash-decal-td75909.html#a75930

I did order another one as a test but never took photos to compare. I can do so and provide the ebay info for that second one if needed. Stuck it in a box and never used it.

Yep its a reason why I am seeking a NOS one I had a chance to bid on one a couple years ago but I couldnt justify $400 for a NOS unit in the box. There is one currently on ebay for $400 NOS but its the wrong part number. The part number hes listing it under is the woodgrain but the horn pad he has is the silver XLS one.

Yep its a reason why I am seeking a NOS one I had a chance to bid on one a couple years ago but I couldnt justify $400 for a NOS unit in the box. There is one currently on ebay for $400 NOS but its the wrong part number. The part number hes listing it under is the woodgrain but the horn pad he has is the silver XLS one.

I ever decide I don't like wood, I ought to buy bezels that are in worse shape and save what I do have... there's a few small bubbles and a couple chips, but otherwise not terrible. May do something other than wood on the wheel and leave the wood though... IDK. Too many choices...

Some past discussion: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Wood-grain-vinyl-wrap-dash-decal-td75909.html#a75930

I did order another one as a test but never took photos to compare. I can do so and provide the ebay info for that second one if needed. Stuck it in a box and never used it.

Good find!

Smaller quantities available:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-DI-NOC-ROSEWOOD-Wood-Grain-Vinyl-Wrap-Sheet-Film-Sticker-Decal-Roll-Adhesive/182698783881?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

$50 is still pricey... but a bit more palatable. Hmm... Already has adhesive. Just not sure how stretchy it is since the lower bar has some contour to it.

Good find!

Smaller quantities available:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-DI-NOC-ROSEWOOD-Wood-Grain-Vinyl-Wrap-Sheet-Film-Sticker-Decal-Roll-Adhesive/182698783881?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

$50 is still pricey... but a bit more palatable. Hmm... Already has adhesive. Just not sure how stretchy it is since the lower bar has some contour to it.

Yeah, I think the contour would be a deal breaker. The dipping seams ideal unless there is some option that will shrink with minimal heat.

The 'plastic wrap' as you referred to it earlier - do you think if you run a razor along the outside of it and around the buttons that it would pop off? I've seen several where the edges have let loose in places but I've never performed exploratory surgery to see where all it's connected.

Yeah, I think the contour would be a deal breaker. The dipping seams ideal unless there is some option that will shrink with minimal heat.

The 'plastic wrap' as you referred to it earlier - do you think if you run a razor along the outside of it and around the buttons that it would pop off? I've seen several where the edges have let loose in places but I've never performed exploratory surgery to see where all it's connected.

My wrap is busted to pieces... so reusing it isn't remotely an option. Why I was glad the "new" bar is one piece.