Bullnose Forums

2018 F150 Diesel [Motor Trend brief evaluation]

Janey's 2014 GLK has a 2.1L 4-banger diesel with twin turbos and it kicks out 369 ft-lbs at 1600 RPM. And we've averaged over 35 MPG in 50K miles.

That is impressive. I know Mercedes has always led the way in diesel tech. There are some very long living Mercedes engines still alive out there. I think 300,000 miles is just getting broke in.

What is sad though, we are getting all these really sweet engines, and they will all be obsolete in a few years. Everything will be electric once they get the graphene battery technology figured out, and install all the charging stations. Combustion engines will be like a landline telephone, or a VHS video tape. :nabble_smiley_wink: Aint never coming back. Only folks like us will still be tinkering with such "dirty" technology.

I'm not sure the batteries are all that close to being perfected. As we've learned with lithium ion, storing that much energy in one place can have consequences. They'll get it sorted, but it will be a while. And even then towing is going to require 3x as much energy, or more, so "dirty" engines will be with us for quite a while.

I'm not sure the batteries are all that close to being perfected. As we've learned with lithium ion, storing that much energy in one place can have consequences. They'll get it sorted, but it will be a while. And even then towing is going to require 3x as much energy, or more, so "dirty" engines will be with us for quite a while.

Long live the "dirty"! :nabble_anim_claps:

• 2 weeks later...

Janey's 2014 GLK has a 2.1L 4-banger diesel with twin turbos and it kicks out 369 ft-lbs at 1600 RPM. And we've averaged over 35 MPG in 50K miles.

That is impressive. I know Mercedes has always led the way in diesel tech. There are some very long living Mercedes engines still alive out there. I think 300,000 miles is just getting broke in.

What is sad though, we are getting all these really sweet engines, and they will all be obsolete in a few years. Everything will be electric once they get the graphene battery technology figured out, and install all the charging stations. Combustion engines will be like a landline telephone, or a VHS video tape. :nabble_smiley_wink: Aint never coming back. Only folks like us will still be tinkering with such "dirty" technology.

It's precisely for this reason I want to eventually pick up another Bullnose and convert it to a resto-mod/eVehicle. It would be so freaking sweet.

It's precisely for this reason I want to eventually pick up another Bullnose and convert it to a resto-mod/eVehicle. It would be so freaking sweet.

New vehicles are so laden with electronics, much of which is seriously integrated into them, that porting their "stuff" to an old vehicle is becoming quite difficult. However, there are ways to port the shell of some vehicles to the newer running gear that might get much of what you want.

For instance, there are kits to allow the body of a 1950's Chevy pickup to be bolted to the running gear of a late model S10. That gives you a modern vehicle with the old look. So, perhaps the same could be done with a Bullnose truck on a later model frame?

New vehicles are so laden with electronics, much of which is seriously integrated into them, that porting their "stuff" to an old vehicle is becoming quite difficult. However, there are ways to port the shell of some vehicles to the newer running gear that might get much of what you want.

For instance, there are kits to allow the body of a 1950's Chevy pickup to be bolted to the running gear of a late model S10. That gives you a modern vehicle with the old look. So, perhaps the same could be done with a Bullnose truck on a later model frame?

Something like this, Gary?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Ford-F-100-xl/123165164574?hash=item1cad37441e:g:K04AAOSwBXhbBgmV&vxp=mtr

Something like this, Gary?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Ford-F-100-xl/123165164574?hash=item1cad37441e:g:K04AAOSwBXhbBgmV&vxp=mtr

Jein. He put a Bullnose cab and bed on a 2000 F150 frame, a 2012 F150 engine, a 2004 Crown Vic tranny, aftermarket tranny controller, etc. But I'm wondering if you couldn't just put the Bullnose sheetmetal on a 2000ish truck and retain the computer(s) and complete running gear. Old school look on a new school running gear.