Bullnose Forums

2018 F150 Diesel [Motor Trend brief evaluation]

34 MPG Hwy with the diesel....nice!

I'll be anxious to read some towing comparisons with the 3.5L EB. I realize that mine is the older 3.5L and has the 6 speed tranny, but I doubt that the tranny will make a lot of difference towing. And, I'm curious to see how the two engines will compare under load.

Interesting article David! 34 mpg out of a 5,000 lb truck is impressive. I am interested in the towing comparison and how they figured that the laden fuel savings would pay for the engine premium in 1/5th of the distance compared to unladen... and I wonder why they can only sell to fleet accounts? Odd.

I know you can’t really compare the new and old technology, but guys who have transplanted NA 6.9/7.3 into single cab 2wd F150 pickups report kissing 30mpg on the highway.... but with about half the hp and tq.

This is impressive. I love this new tech!

I like how ford has went with the aluminum bodies. I'm curious to see how they do over the long haul. Much better than the steel rust buckets of the good ole days.

On a similar note. Have ya'll seen Chevy's new 2.7 Liter 4-cylinder they are putting into their full size silverado and sierra? 310 HP and 348 ft lbs @ 1500 RPM!!! OUT OF A GAS 4 BANGER!!! How do they do that?

I want a 2.7 crate motor to throw in the Impala!!

I like how ford has went with the aluminum bodies. I'm curious to see how they do over the long haul. Much better than the steel rust buckets of the good ole days.

On a similar note. Have ya'll seen Chevy's new 2.7 Liter 4-cylinder they are putting into their full size silverado and sierra? 310 HP and 348 ft lbs @ 1500 RPM!!! OUT OF A GAS 4 BANGER!!! How do they do that?

2018 Ford Focus RS; 2.3L 4 banger with 350HP & 350 ft. lbs. torque!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

2018 Ford Focus RS; 2.3L 4 banger with 350HP & 350 ft. lbs. torque!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

@ what rpm? That is impressive. Chevy's has low end torque built into their design, because its being used in a truck. I also learned the chevy has cylinder deactivation for better fuel mileage. So basically a full size truck running on 2 cylinders down the highway.

I like the looks of the new focus...pretty sweet sound in the RS. Not gunna lie. I watch some Redbull Rally cross with my boys recently and the Focus was kickin butt.

OMG $42,000 for a Ford Focus RS?

:nabble_smiley_oh_no:

I'll take the gently used Mustang thank you.

Janey's 2014 GLK has a 2.1L 4-banger diesel with twin turbos and it kicks out 369 ft-lbs at 1600 RPM. And we've averaged over 35 MPG in 50K miles.

That is impressive. I know Mercedes has always led the way in diesel tech. There are some very long living Mercedes engines still alive out there. I think 300,000 miles is just getting broke in.

What is sad though, we are getting all these really sweet engines, and they will all be obsolete in a few years. Everything will be electric once they get the graphene battery technology figured out, and install all the charging stations. Combustion engines will be like a landline telephone, or a VHS video tape. :nabble_smiley_wink: Aint never coming back. Only folks like us will still be tinkering with such "dirty" technology.