Bullnose Forums

'85 F150 Bench Seat

Hello all.

I have a quick question.

Would it be easier/cheaper to get someone to reupholster my bench seat, which is completely teared up on the drivers side, or to buy a new bench seat for $285? And excuse me because my truck is in the workshop right now and I'm not totally sure when it will be back, so I would not be able to obtain any photos of the truck ATM.

I would appreciate all feedback. Thank you.

https://www.stockinteriors.com/SeatUpholstery.asp?Itemid=23270

I just paid $480 to have my seat recovered in vinyl by an upholstery shop. I did see seat covers on eBay for about 170, and considered those. They appeared to be the slip on kind, not the replacement kind. If you can buy a new bench seat, with new upholstery, for 285, I’d say that’s the deal.

I just paid $480 to have my seat recovered in vinyl by an upholstery shop. I did see seat covers on eBay for about 170, and considered those. They appeared to be the slip on kind, not the replacement kind. If you can buy a new bench seat, with new upholstery, for 285, I’d say that’s the deal.

“Item Details

This Ford Full Size Standard Cab Truck Upholstery set is a high quality product following the factory sewing pattern and factory attachment points. Made in the Material of your choice. Includes instructions, hog rings and hog ring pliers. Requires physical seat be removed from vehicle, old upholstery removed and new upholstery installed. This is replacement seat upholstery; not slip on seat covers.”

As you see above the website says it is a full bench seat.

I appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration.

“Item Details

This Ford Full Size Standard Cab Truck Upholstery set is a high quality product following the factory sewing pattern and factory attachment points. Made in the Material of your choice. Includes instructions, hog rings and hog ring pliers. Requires physical seat be removed from vehicle, old upholstery removed and new upholstery installed. This is replacement seat upholstery; not slip on seat covers.”

As you see above the website says it is a full bench seat.

I appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration.

That is an upholstery set as opposed to a slip on seat cover and not a new complete bench seat. What I did on my truck was replace my seat with a bench seat from a 1990 model or there abouts F150 that has the fold down arm rests and adjustable head rests. It sits much better than the seat that came in my truck new, even when it was a new seat. It cost me $100 dollars and that was money well spent in my opinion.

This is JUST the upholstery KIT. Not the whole seat. YOu will have to pay someone to install it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. And that's not going to include any foam to fix that if it needs it. When I priced having my seat redone, without seeing it, two places quoted 400 - 600 to re do the upholstery and some foam repair. There are no good kits and whole seats are high. Click the "READ INSTRUCTIONS" and see if this si something you feel comfortable with and decide if your seat foam is good enough to cover or is going to need more work.

You can always get a saddle blanket or other cover and cover it for a while as you decide which way to go. IF you use extra clips - like those black office clips, and the straps included, a saddle blanket cover can look pretty good and pretty snug. You can find foam to carve to go in place under that and kinda rebuild it that way til you know for sure what to do.

IF you haven't already, you may want to start a spreadsheet or list of things you need to do and start prioritizing. I have a sheet on mine that shows how much I spent on each part. On things I haven't bought yet, I keep track of prices I've found and links and such.

This is JUST the upholstery KIT. Not the whole seat. YOu will have to pay someone to install it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. And that's not going to include any foam to fix that if it needs it. When I priced having my seat redone, without seeing it, two places quoted 400 - 600 to re do the upholstery and some foam repair. There are no good kits and whole seats are high. Click the "READ INSTRUCTIONS" and see if this si something you feel comfortable with and decide if your seat foam is good enough to cover or is going to need more work.

You can always get a saddle blanket or other cover and cover it for a while as you decide which way to go. IF you use extra clips - like those black office clips, and the straps included, a saddle blanket cover can look pretty good and pretty snug. You can find foam to carve to go in place under that and kinda rebuild it that way til you know for sure what to do.

IF you haven't already, you may want to start a spreadsheet or list of things you need to do and start prioritizing. I have a sheet on mine that shows how much I spent on each part. On things I haven't bought yet, I keep track of prices I've found and links and such.

Okay, that really clears things up.

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

I like that seat. But I think you put the wrong link in, David.

I like the seat too, if only I could find one without head rests. Im working on a truck at work they had the front driver side of the bench seat, the bolster on the front side they sewn in two elastic pockets. Im thinking about having that done on my seat to give me a space to throw my wallet and other items that I carry that can be a hinder for a long drive.