Bullnose Forums

Lubricating the speedometer cable

I had no idea that is how to release the cable!

Not wishing to hijack or segway.. BUUUT….

Looks like a couple of people here have worked hard to get the Holley Sniper carb (?!?) working, is anyone up for making a list or FAQ that may help others down the line?

Maybe a thread worthy question?

I had no idea that is how to release the cable!

Not wishing to hijack or segway.. BUUUT….

Looks like a couple of people here have worked hard to get the Holley Sniper carb (?!?) working, is anyone up for making a list or FAQ that may help others down the line?

Maybe a thread worthy question?

That’s a nice idea. There’s definitely quite a number of threads here that get into Sniper related work. I did find that the sniper itself is very simple to install up until you get to electrical. As a novice, it was beyond my comfort zone, but some of the guys here were huge helps. Here’s the thread where we got into electrical even though it was originally about 2 vacuum lines…. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Other than that I found it straight forward. My Bronco is a 300 I6 and there was an obvious place to install the sniper thermostat, but I imagine that might be a common question on some of the other engines.

I actually still need to figure out the throttle cable bracket. The set up I have right now doesn’t allow for WOT, but everywhere I’ve read most people just fabricate it themselves.

NO! Don't yank. Here's how to do it, but don't tell anyone. It is our secret. Ok?

Actually, I'm going to put it on the website on the Speedo page as I frequently have to get a spare speedo and cable to figure it out. So now that I have, again, I'll document it.

In the pic on the left the cable is locked to the speedo. But on the right I've pushed on the tab towards the speedo's input shaft, and that unlocks the cable. The trick is to be able to push in and then pull back gently. If you pull back before you push in the latch won't let loose.

Mine's missing that white clip completely. Just pushes into back of speedo. Pretty steady operation but knocks in there somehere like a valve lifter. But it's not - only noisy when moving. Stops when stopped.

That’s a nice idea. There’s definitely quite a number of threads here that get into Sniper related work. I did find that the sniper itself is very simple to install up until you get to electrical. As a novice, it was beyond my comfort zone, but some of the guys here were huge helps. Here’s the thread where we got into electrical even though it was originally about 2 vacuum lines…. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Other than that I found it straight forward. My Bronco is a 300 I6 and there was an obvious place to install the sniper thermostat, but I imagine that might be a common question on some of the other engines.

I actually still need to figure out the throttle cable bracket. The set up I have right now doesn’t allow for WOT, but everywhere I’ve read most people just fabricate it themselves.

Welp, my lubrication of the cable didn’t seem to help the bounce (although it did clear up the squeak). Might have to look into a new cable or gear.

Welp, my lubrication of the cable didn’t seem to help the bounce (although it did clear up the squeak). Might have to look into a new cable or gear.

I put a small amount of spray lube on the speedo itself, just at the back where it connects. Helped some.