Bullnose Forums

Lubricating the speedometer cable

Hi all!

Great news! I finally drove the Bullnose yesterday with the Sniper performing flawlessly. Such a great feeling.

First things first, I have a squeaky bouncing speedometer. What’s the best way to lubricate? Should I pull the whole thing? Can I just pull it from the behind the cluster (looks like I can reach it from under…)? I can’t seem to find any stepped process anywhere.

Glad the Sniper is working so well! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the speedo, you can pull the cable out from behind the speedo - unless you have speed control. If so you'll have a transducer in the cable about under the brake booster, and the cable you get from behind the speedo only goes to there. Then you break into there and pull the rest of the cable.

As for lubing it, my recent experience is that I copiously lubed the cable with spray graphite and spray Teflon. COPIOUSLY. And I still had bouncing. So I then lubed it with Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease, and that helped significantly. It didn't fix it, but it was much better, and livable now.

However, I don't know what it'll be like this winter. Hopefully it won't be too stiff.

Glad the Sniper is working so well! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the speedo, you can pull the cable out from behind the speedo - unless you have speed control. If so you'll have a transducer in the cable about under the brake booster, and the cable you get from behind the speedo only goes to there. Then you break into there and pull the rest of the cable.

As for lubing it, my recent experience is that I copiously lubed the cable with spray graphite and spray Teflon. COPIOUSLY. And I still had bouncing. So I then lubed it with Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease, and that helped significantly. It didn't fix it, but it was much better, and livable now.

However, I don't know what it'll be like this winter. Hopefully it won't be too stiff.

Does it just pull straight out from the cluster? And as for lubing, am I just shooting it down the tube?

Does it just pull straight out from the cluster? And as for lubing, am I just shooting it down the tube?

It just pulls straight out. As for lube, I put it on the cable as I push it back in. You don’t want too much as it might come up the cable and make a mess under the dash. And maybe get into the speedo itself. So I just put a thin layer on with my fingers as I was pushing the cable in.

It just pulls straight out. As for lube, I put it on the cable as I push it back in. You don’t want too much as it might come up the cable and make a mess under the dash. And maybe get into the speedo itself. So I just put a thin layer on with my fingers as I was pushing the cable in.

I don’t know… I’m yanking on this thing and it’s not pulling off the cluster. The white plastic is supposed to come off with the cable, right?

I don’t know… I’m yanking on this thing and it’s not pulling off the cluster. The white plastic is supposed to come off with the cable, right?

NO! Don't yank. Here's how to do it, but don't tell anyone. It is our secret. Ok?

Actually, I'm going to put it on the website on the Speedo page as I frequently have to get a spare speedo and cable to figure it out. So now that I have, again, I'll document it.

In the pic on the left the cable is locked to the speedo. But on the right I've pushed on the tab towards the speedo's input shaft, and that unlocks the cable. The trick is to be able to push in and then pull back gently. If you pull back before you push in the latch won't let loose.

Speedo_Cable_Locked_On_Speedo.thumb.jpg.4d44f73360b8a974fd0e0a8e4d3cc119.jpgSpeedo_Cable_Released_From_Speedo.thumb.jpg.64b6b0576b22a66ae4d7f331ec4ec52f.jpg

NO! Don't yank. Here's how to do it, but don't tell anyone. It is our secret. Ok?

Actually, I'm going to put it on the website on the Speedo page as I frequently have to get a spare speedo and cable to figure it out. So now that I have, again, I'll document it.

In the pic on the left the cable is locked to the speedo. But on the right I've pushed on the tab towards the speedo's input shaft, and that unlocks the cable. The trick is to be able to push in and then pull back gently. If you pull back before you push in the latch won't let loose.

That’s fantastic!!! Thank you Gary!!