Bullnose Forums

Gas leak, occasional power loss

Nice job on the carb.

Yes drive & enjoy it then do the next thing you want.

As for the coolant hole in the intake.

It only leaked when you removed the carb right?

If it was not leaking before and if the gaskets are good it should not leak now.

When you say it was losing coolant how were you checking it, level in the radiator?

Or in the over flow tank and it was low?

The hose to the over flow tank dose it go to the bottom of the tank or just into the tank?

Some parts stores have tool rentals and they have a coolant pressure tester you could use to see if you have any leaks in the system.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave! Correct, there were no leaks until I started loosening the carb hold down bolts. I used some Permatex Aviation Gasket sealer also on that manifold connection to the blue stand off thing.

I installed a good used coolant/washer fluid tank and the hose goes to the bottom of the coolant tank. I had filled it to spec and it is gone from the tank and the coolant is about 2 inches low in the radiator.

I noticed this before I added the coolant tank also that it was slightly low in the radiator. Nothing crazy but needed to be topped off.

I don't see any leaks anywhere and the radiator looks pretty new also.

Thanks Dave! Correct, there were no leaks until I started loosening the carb hold down bolts. I used some Permatex Aviation Gasket sealer also on that manifold connection to the blue stand off thing.

I installed a good used coolant/washer fluid tank and the hose goes to the bottom of the coolant tank. I had filled it to spec and it is gone from the tank and the coolant is about 2 inches low in the radiator.

I noticed this before I added the coolant tank also that it was slightly low in the radiator. Nothing crazy but needed to be topped off.

I don't see any leaks anywhere and the radiator looks pretty new also.

My experience is that the later reservoirs, like yours, do a better job of keeping the radiator as full as possible. But after several hot/cold cycles the level usually stabilizes at 1 - 2” below the radiator cap.

My experience is that the later reservoirs, like yours, do a better job of keeping the radiator as full as possible. But after several hot/cold cycles the level usually stabilizes at 1 - 2” below the radiator cap.

Thanks. That’s about where I am at. Should I keep adding to the reservoir? Or if the radiator is topped off that’s fine?

Thanks. That’s about where I am at. Should I keep adding to the reservoir? Or if the radiator is topped off that’s fine?

I try to keep the cold level in the reservoir at the middle where the windshield washer side takes off. It is a handy reference point and if the level starts dropping from there I know I have a problem.

But it doesn’t hurt to fill up the radiator either. Yesterday, getting ready for the big trip, I filled the radiator to the brim and filled the reservoir to that level. I suspect that when I check it on Sunday after driving it tonight and Saturday around town it’ll be a bit higher than the mark, but not much. And I know it’ll be full.