Bullnose Forums

This is depressing. Not entirely surprising, but still depressing

I'm seeing myself back at the auto parts today; O'Reilly's, used to be Checker Auto. They *used to have* the capability of testing the DS2 boxes, but the kid who just answered the phone when I asked said "not anymore."

Well, doing those kinds of tests would have been for verification only, they both still worked last time I checked (although *something* has been acting up recently....

Gonna go search my basement for a coil, I *might* have one.....

I know someone on here who has a DS-II tester I sent him....

Yep, and I'm happy to test Chris' units - if he brings them. Maybe to the show in Sept? :nabble_smiley_wink:

We'll see what the money situation is like in September, I can't make any promises. I *did* get the Altima back from the body shop last night, though!!!!!!

~~

OK, here's my lunchtime update for today, same as what's on FTE,

Yeah, I haven't replied to either here nor Gary's, I'm kind of in a quandary about what to do... LOTS of good ideas coming my way, and I have lots of mental responses to a lot of people.

My Camaro/Corvette friend Tom says he'll stop by sometime (hopefully tonight), he was in the mountains on vacation all last week with his brother & his wife. I REALLY need HIM to SEE this (not just look at videos) since he is the one I assembled the thing with. He's a former machinist who hurt his back really badly and now does IT network security work.

So, I'm back to the SHO project, 1 of 2 I have here at home. AC compressor, alternator, radiator fluid recovery bottle are installed, I'm down to the lower radiator hose and battery cables. That frickin' broken motor mount is staring me right in the face, but I have no money for that right now. I really don't remember all the specifics on these engines, all I remember for certain is Yamaha. :nabble_smiley_happy: It's a hi-RPM/low-torque thing, entirely new to me in a car.

Anyhow, lunchtime pictures:

next_up_lower_radiator_hose_1.jpg.c6713c7f477311de7b42a1511daee6cc.jpg

next_up_lower_radiator_hose_2.jpg.a7bf8c8489d0f078be80353623ea2410.jpg

It's only 75° in the garage right now, beautiful temperature (not so much for the light, tho) for this. :)

29-jun-time-n-temp.thumb.png.f03b63ee27dd942d68cb1cc7cad3c510.png

EDIT: couldn't resist (mostly for Matthew on FTE). :)

yamaha-badging-front.jpg.01cf848ecf2726f8e1c470cc3ff6645a.jpg

yamaha-badging-rear.jpg.d7b7c5ae7716806dc9ba6477638e730d.jpg

We'll see what the money situation is like in September, I can't make any promises. I *did* get the Altima back from the body shop last night, though!!!!!!

~~

OK, here's my lunchtime update for today, same as what's on FTE,

Yeah, I haven't replied to either here nor Gary's, I'm kind of in a quandary about what to do... LOTS of good ideas coming my way, and I have lots of mental responses to a lot of people.

My Camaro/Corvette friend Tom says he'll stop by sometime (hopefully tonight), he was in the mountains on vacation all last week with his brother & his wife. I REALLY need HIM to SEE this (not just look at videos) since he is the one I assembled the thing with. He's a former machinist who hurt his back really badly and now does IT network security work.

So, I'm back to the SHO project, 1 of 2 I have here at home. AC compressor, alternator, radiator fluid recovery bottle are installed, I'm down to the lower radiator hose and battery cables. That frickin' broken motor mount is staring me right in the face, but I have no money for that right now. I really don't remember all the specifics on these engines, all I remember for certain is Yamaha. :nabble_smiley_happy: It's a hi-RPM/low-torque thing, entirely new to me in a car.

Anyhow, lunchtime pictures:

It's only 75° in the garage right now, beautiful temperature (not so much for the light, tho) for this. :)

EDIT: couldn't resist (mostly for Matthew on FTE). :)

It only got to 78°F in the garage today, it's clouding up and looks like it's probably going to rain again.

afternoon-high.thumb.png.57819df260b5b681304cf9f80c0c96db.png

The Taurus is delayed for another week, I broke down and ordered the proper molded lower radiator hose (it's starting to rain as I type this) from Rock Auto, it'll be here one week from today. Could have bought it locally but at almost 2X the price, so back into the garage the Taurus goes.

I have these braided hoses me & my brother picked up from a guy in Naperville, IL several years ago; the bottom one SEEMS LIKE it should bend & fit (the other guy did it), but the angles & muscles required conflict with yesterday's Yoga session, so I abandoned those efforts and wimped out.

The original lower hose, all nice & soft & mushy:

original-lower-hose.jpg.7c3b6bd665d4044779d19cbe88d1d8cb.jpg

The top one, I replaced with a proper rubber one after deciding the braided one was too much work to make fit.

braided-upper-hose.jpg.733327fde1d289dac8027dee45960b1d.jpg

So, I guess I'm back to the truck, we'll see what the weather does for the rest of the day......

It only got to 78°F in the garage today, it's clouding up and looks like it's probably going to rain again.

The Taurus is delayed for another week, I broke down and ordered the proper molded lower radiator hose (it's starting to rain as I type this) from Rock Auto, it'll be here one week from today. Could have bought it locally but at almost 2X the price, so back into the garage the Taurus goes.

I have these braided hoses me & my brother picked up from a guy in Naperville, IL several years ago; the bottom one SEEMS LIKE it should bend & fit (the other guy did it), but the angles & muscles required conflict with yesterday's Yoga session, so I abandoned those efforts and wimped out.

The original lower hose, all nice & soft & mushy:

The top one, I replaced with a proper rubber one after deciding the braided one was too much work to make fit.

So, I guess I'm back to the truck, we'll see what the weather does for the rest of the day......

I think it would be very hard to get that braided hose to fit. Wise move to go with rubber. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good luck on the truck.

I think it would be very hard to get that braided hose to fit. Wise move to go with rubber. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good luck on the truck.

My friend Tom came over last night and I showed him everything... we pretty quickly went to ignition timing and, long story short, we're back to normal. :nabble_anim_jump: The distributor hold-down bolt had loosed up and the distributor itself had turned out of adjustment, simple as that. :nabble_smiley_happy:

There was also a small vacuum leak where a rubber cap had disappeared from the vacuum tree at the back of the engine, and I fine-tuned the timing & idle speed this morning, but I never really test-drove it.

For whatever reason, all the electrical is working just fine (right now), too! We'll see for how long *that* lasts. But the brakes were LOTS BETTER when there's actual vacuum to that booster thing. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I figure I'll go to my brother's house today, haven't been there in ~2 weeks and I'm sure the yard needs mowing by now with all the water we've been getting. Possibly install the battery cables on the Taurus later this afternoon, that can be done with or without the lower radiator hose in place.

Still have no explanation for that #5 arcing....

My friend Tom came over last night and I showed him everything... we pretty quickly went to ignition timing and, long story short, we're back to normal. :nabble_anim_jump: The distributor hold-down bolt had loosed up and the distributor itself had turned out of adjustment, simple as that. :nabble_smiley_happy:

There was also a small vacuum leak where a rubber cap had disappeared from the vacuum tree at the back of the engine, and I fine-tuned the timing & idle speed this morning, but I never really test-drove it.

For whatever reason, all the electrical is working just fine (right now), too! We'll see for how long *that* lasts. But the brakes were LOTS BETTER when there's actual vacuum to that booster thing. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I figure I'll go to my brother's house today, haven't been there in ~2 weeks and I'm sure the yard needs mowing by now with all the water we've been getting. Possibly install the battery cables on the Taurus later this afternoon, that can be done with or without the lower radiator hose in place.

Still have no explanation for that #5 arcing....

Congrat's! One layer of the onion peeled. :nabble_anim_claps:

But, your vacuum at idle showing on the dash gauge is a bit low. Don't know what cam you have, but I'd expect the vacuum to be at least 16" if not closer to 20". And that can easily be an issue with the idle air/fuel mix. If you get that optimized you may be able to close the throttle a bit with the idle speed screw and that will bring the vacuum up.

Or, it might be that your gauge isn't reflecting true manifold vacuum?

By the way, how 'bout laying your phone sideways, meaning landscape, when taking videos? That works better.

Congrat's! One layer of the onion peeled. :nabble_anim_claps:

But, your vacuum at idle showing on the dash gauge is a bit low. Don't know what cam you have, but I'd expect the vacuum to be at least 16" if not closer to 20". And that can easily be an issue with the idle air/fuel mix. If you get that optimized you may be able to close the throttle a bit with the idle speed screw and that will bring the vacuum up.

Or, it might be that your gauge isn't reflecting true manifold vacuum?

By the way, how 'bout laying your phone sideways, meaning landscape, when taking videos? That works better.

That is great!

• 2 weeks later...

That is great!

Yeah, OK, I'm using ffmpeg to rotate videos now; kinda time-consuming in that it requires a virtual Linux box, but doable; thanks for pointing that out, Gary. :)

~~

With the exception of the A/C needing charging, I'm considering the Taurus project finished. :)

~~

I'm also doing everything on a virtual Ubuntu installation on a laptop computer I brought into the garage; this Ubuntu/vmplayer combo is working quite well....

Yeah, OK, I'm using ffmpeg to rotate videos now; kinda time-consuming in that it requires a virtual Linux box, but doable; thanks for pointing that out, Gary. :)

~~

With the exception of the A/C needing charging, I'm considering the Taurus project finished. :)

~~

I'm also doing everything on a virtual Ubuntu installation on a laptop computer I brought into the garage; this Ubuntu/vmplayer combo is working quite well....

Nice! SHO is looking good! :nabble_smiley_thinking: