Bullnose Forums

Belden FSS manual conversion for 6.9 IDI

Howdy. Some months ago I started a thread on the FSS (fuel shutoff solenoid) for a 1986 420cid (6.9 litre) diesel, and wondered if that FSS could be converted to manual. One of y'all posted this pic and mentioned that Belden sells that as a kit, iirc. So far I can't find that Belden reference.

Was that info from one of you? It may have been on FTE also, back before I stopped posting there.

manual_shutoff_FSS.jpg.8198878a2b91d43454de761c19dd2d5e.jpg

As far as working, it's a Roosamaster pump, same as GM used on their 5.7, 6.2 and 6.5L Diesels and the solenoid pulls in to allow the pump to deliver fuel. Pushing the rod in would be the "run" position from that illustration. I used to have a Roosamaster service manual, but have no idea if it survived emptying my house in Newport News VA.

If you find the information please post it here as I am interested in this also. Cory Haberkamp and myself have been discussing this. He says there are 8 cylinder diesel Massey Ferguson and IH tractors that may have mechanical shut-off Roosemaster pumps, but nothing confirmed. If there is an aftermarket kit we would be quite interested!

If you find the information please post it here as I am interested in this also. Cory Haberkamp and myself have been discussing this. He says there are 8 cylinder diesel Massey Ferguson and IH tractors that may have mechanical shut-off Roosemaster pumps, but nothing confirmed. If there is an aftermarket kit we would be quite interested!

The information I found yesterday looking for any sort of manual all showed pumps without the solenoid so they would have a mechanical shutoff. Gary says we can't email through the site now, but I will give it a try and if it works will send you what I found. Maybe you can come up with a manual shutoff for one.

All my Roosamaster experience was one Ford 6.9L and one 7.3L and a number of GM 5.7L with a 6.2L turbo and a 6.2 and 6.5L non-turbo models.

The information I found yesterday looking for any sort of manual all showed pumps without the solenoid so they would have a mechanical shutoff. Gary says we can't email through the site now, but I will give it a try and if it works will send you what I found. Maybe you can come up with a manual shutoff for one.

All my Roosamaster experience was one Ford 6.9L and one 7.3L and a number of GM 5.7L with a 6.2L turbo and a 6.2 and 6.5L non-turbo models.

Bill - I think the email through the system works, but you can no longer post by email.

Correct me if I’m wrong Gary, but I believe the forum function change only affected your ability to reply to a post directly from the email notification when subscribed to a topic. I think all other email functions are still intact? I appreciate you looking to see if you find anything useful that could be adapted to our engines 🙂

Correct me if I’m wrong Gary, but I believe the forum function change only affected your ability to reply to a post directly from the email notification when subscribed to a topic. I think all other email functions are still intact? I appreciate you looking to see if you find anything useful that could be adapted to our engines 🙂

You are correct, Jonathan. Only the ability to reply to a post via email has been removed. The ability to send email through the system is still there, as I just proved by sending you an email and copying myself. I've gotten it so assume you have as well.

Bill - I think the email through the system works, but you can no longer post by email.

Yes it does, but I can't attach files to an email through the system. I can send you what I found, but still haven't found the style pump for the electric shut-off.

Yes it does, but I can't attach files to an email through the system. I can send you what I found, but still haven't found the style pump for the electric shut-off.

Thank you Bill. I sent you an e-mail with my direct g-mail address. You may have it already but in case not… if we come up with something that works I’ll write something up and have Gary document it 🙂