Bullnose Forums

Brake problems

Hi everyone, another issue popped up today of course but this time it’s something serious! As of lately it’s been getting harder for me to brake and today as I was almost home, the pressure on my brake goes to virtually nothing and it barely stops now. I’m thinking it might be the brake booster because now I have no pressure when putting my foot on the brakes and it made a “pop” sound and my parking brake light came on. Again I think it’s the booster but maybe someone else has a better suggestion before I start spending money I don’t have?

I'm not sure I understand your terminology, but if you mean you can put your foot to the floor with little effort then it probably isn't the booster. If the booster fails then the pedal will be very hard to push, but if you push hard the truck will stop.

The fact that you heard a pop and the brake warning light came on says that you've probably blown a brake hose. If in the front you will have lost the front brakes, which normally do most of the work, so it wouldn't stop well at all. And, with the imbalance in the front/rear systems the brake warning light would come on.

So, go look at the brake hoses. In front you have one to each wheel. In the rear you have one to the rear axle which feeds both sides.

I'm not sure I understand your terminology, but if you mean you can put your foot to the floor with little effort then it probably isn't the booster. If the booster fails then the pedal will be very hard to push, but if you push hard the truck will stop.

The fact that you heard a pop and the brake warning light came on says that you've probably blown a brake hose. If in the front you will have lost the front brakes, which normally do most of the work, so it wouldn't stop well at all. And, with the imbalance in the front/rear systems the brake warning light would come on.

So, go look at the brake hoses. In front you have one to each wheel. In the rear you have one to the rear axle which feeds both sides.

Ok thank you very much. I love how helpful this forum has become and other people with a bullnose have such knowledge versus other people with just a guessing game.

I agree with checking for a busted or otherwise compromised line. Fronts should be pretty easy to feel/see. Look for a big wet spot in the brake lines. I lost a brake line on a mini van once and the braking effort was massive as it was only using the rear and one front. And fluid was going away quickly. Made it home.

Sounds like you have had an issue coming on for a while. Time to do some investigating and get a few pics if nothing really stands out so we can all jump in to try to help.

Ok thank you very much. I love how helpful this forum has become and other people with a bullnose have such knowledge versus other people with just a guessing game.

If you look in the master cylinder reservoir, the large chamber is for the front brakes and the smaller one is rear. The one that is dry or nearly dry will tell you which end to look at.

One other item, at the back, the crossmember behind the axle is where the hard line comes over to the rear axle hose. In the corner where that crossmember joins the side of the frame, there is a low area that collects dirt and water, the brake line lays right in that low area. If the hose looks good and it is the rear brake circuit, look for brake fluid in that corner. I lost the rear on Darth, which also killed my trailer brake controller due to the line rusting through.

If you look in the master cylinder reservoir, the large chamber is for the front brakes and the smaller one is rear. The one that is dry or nearly dry will tell you which end to look at.

One other item, at the back, the crossmember behind the axle is where the hard line comes over to the rear axle hose. In the corner where that crossmember joins the side of the frame, there is a low area that collects dirt and water, the brake line lays right in that low area. If the hose looks good and it is the rear brake circuit, look for brake fluid in that corner. I lost the rear on Darth, which also killed my trailer brake controller due to the line rusting through.

So after looking, the front brakes are dry but the rears are covered in fluid. The small compartment on the master cylinder is near empty. I am able to brake but requires all of the pedal and I have to increase my braking distance

So after looking, the front brakes are dry but the rears are covered in fluid. The small compartment on the master cylinder is near empty. I am able to brake but requires all of the pedal and I have to increase my braking distance

Not sure what you mean by "the rears are covered in fluid". Do you mean the brake shoes are covered in fluid? The wheel backing plates are covered in fluid? The rear axle is covered in fluid? :nabble_anim_confused:

Obviously you have a rear brake problem, but giving us more specific descriptions will help us help you.

Not sure what you mean by "the rears are covered in fluid". Do you mean the brake shoes are covered in fluid? The wheel backing plates are covered in fluid? The rear axle is covered in fluid? :nabble_anim_confused:

Obviously you have a rear brake problem, but giving us more specific descriptions will help us help you.

Sorry the rear brake lines where it meets the drums is covered in fluid.