Bullnose Forums

Fender flares

Do you think that was due to the flares or they used the flares to cover up the rust?

I ask because I have some rust started and have thought about the flares to hide some of it.

Gary, I don’t know which comes first… the rust or the flares but I will say there is a huge correlation between them… and it may be both (a cause and a band-aid). For this reason I don’t particularly care for the look, as I have come to equate flares with wheel arch cancer. I’ve had guys from the rust belt advise me to *not* use the factor aluminum wheel opening trim for the same reason, but in my climate I’m not too worried about it.

In your case, if you like the look, they are probably a decent alternative to sheet metal repair as long as steps are taken to stop the rust before putting them on. I would also consider how they look in conjunction with your lower molding and trim arches. Some brands may fit/look better with this trim than others.

Gary, I don’t know which comes first… the rust or the flares but I will say there is a huge correlation between them… and it may be both (a cause and a band-aid). For this reason I don’t particularly care for the look, as I have come to equate flares with wheel arch cancer. I’ve had guys from the rust belt advise me to *not* use the factor aluminum wheel opening trim for the same reason, but in my climate I’m not too worried about it.

In your case, if you like the look, they are probably a decent alternative to sheet metal repair as long as steps are taken to stop the rust before putting them on. I would also consider how they look in conjunction with your lower molding and trim arches. Some brands may fit/look better with this trim than others.

Jonathan - I can see that it would be easy for mud and other debris to build up behind flares, which is why I asked the question. I already have rust going on in/under the body putty that is in there, so sure don't want to exacerbate that situation.

As for looks, I'm torn. I think these would look good, but don't know:

bus_20902-01_v2.thumb.jpg.47eb09a195ae8a41abc84263f7d4ed79.jpgNew_Attitude_-_RF.thumb.jpg.63c302eaf0d3f55402238d0abff226f4.jpg

Jonathan - I can see that it would be easy for mud and other debris to build up behind flares, which is why I asked the question. I already have rust going on in/under the body putty that is in there, so sure don't want to exacerbate that situation.

As for looks, I'm torn. I think these would look good, but don't know:

I still think that they would look the best on my Bronco, the part number is 20902-01, but as mentioned, it will come close to $1000,- to buy, ship and taxes.

Bronco_open_hood.jpg.66c9b683392c761a68e492493cb11781.jpg

I still think that they would look the best on my Bronco, the part number is 20902-01, but as mentioned, it will come close to $1000,- to buy, ship and taxes.

I think they would look great on your Bronco! They would blend right in but make it legal. And special.

On the possibility of having rust, I think you can prevent that by doing a few things up front and one thing long term. First, when you drill holes to mount the flares paint the holes. Then use a sealer on the screws to ensure water can't get to the metal. And, when you get them on spray the seams with something like FluidFilm. Long term you should flush the joint between the flares and the body with lots of water whenever you wash the truck.

But I seriously doubt you are going to be driving through muck, much less offroading, so the amount of gunk that gets up under there should be minimal.