Bullnose Forums

1986 F150 RWD Automatic 5.0 EFI. - Injector Problems

I'm not really sure what a bad TPS would do while driving. But if it told the computer that you'd dropped the throttle to idle then the computer would drop the amount of fuel it is injecting. However, the throttle would still be open via the throttle cable, so the AFR would go really lean. And that might mean the engine would either die or run very roughly.

Got a good news update. I was trying to figure out what the issue was with the pump and noticed if I shook the wires in the harness it stopped running. So I started inspecting the wires and found that where a previous owner joined the wires the shrink wrap had very very small singular wires poking through and touching/grounding. I wrapped each wire where it was joined and the pump stopped clicking on and off randomly. I also noticed something over to the left of me in the engine bay also stopped clicking on and off.

I took the old girl out on a spin and was able to drive up to 70 with no issues. It even ran cooler and sounded great!

Got a good news update. I was trying to figure out what the issue was with the pump and noticed if I shook the wires in the harness it stopped running. So I started inspecting the wires and found that where a previous owner joined the wires the shrink wrap had very very small singular wires poking through and touching/grounding. I wrapped each wire where it was joined and the pump stopped clicking on and off randomly. I also noticed something over to the left of me in the engine bay also stopped clicking on and off.

I took the old girl out on a spin and was able to drive up to 70 with no issues. It even ran cooler and sounded great!

That’s great! Good find!

Wow! You've really come a long, long way on your truck in a short time. I'm seriously impressed. :nabble_anim_claps: