Bullnose Forums

Growing as a forum!

Gents, happy to contribute and share some of my real life. I just turned 54, married and we have two sons age 25 and 21, the younger one still leaving with us over here in Germany, close to the Dutch border.

Business wise I am a mechanical engineer and a graduated in Operations. I work in the European Supply Chain of Johnson & Johnson for the last 10 years and before that I spent 16 years at MARS Inc. in Supply Chain and HR.

Back at the age of 15 I started my engine mobility with 50 cubic centimeters engine driven kind of small motorcycles and realizing my passion for bolts and nuts. That is when I started a professional career in that field and it served me as great bedrock for everything I did over the last 35 yrs. This was mainly around leading people and change in the area of manufacturing, logistics, planning and customer service. Even spend 6 years in Human Relations, as an engineer that was quite a challenging transition.

Cars: I had a lot f them and almost all European brands represented, starting with a small Autobianchi, Opel (GM), Mercedes, Audi, Citroen, etc. Motorbikes: starting of with a Yamaha (affordability), then stopped it for the family and came back five years ago with a Moto Guzzi and since 3 yrs the BMW R nine T. Likely she will get old with me, she simply fits my needs.

Getting to the truck: My cousin married an American cowboy, who actually was one of the first Western horse trainers here in Europe back in the 80´s. I spent every weekend and holiday for three years with him and he influenced me heavily. He had a Silverado pick up, sgl cab and short bed that time.

When I wasn´t driving a company car I also drove pick ups though European sizes, ie. the FORD Ranger.

No I am back in a period where I don´t drive a lot any more and I always wanted to drive a decent sized pick up, hence the 8 cylinder, 5 ltr bullnose I have since 4 weeks. Next to putting a smile on my face when driving it also provides many opportunities to re-vitalize my engineering skills.

My wife calls it another mid life crisis, not sure since this will very likely last longer then the others before :-).

Next to family, job, motorbike and truck I enjoy outdoors, either by hiking, on horse back or on the bicycle, I do my own fire logs and I enjoy having friends around me for good food, good wine and good talks. Especially with a nice BBQ or some campfire cooking and story telling at the fire as a close out.

That a short summary of why I actually ended up in this forum and what I enjoy when not chatting around here.

Well, I am completing my 60th spin around the sun this week. In terms of demographics, that would put me in the boomer generation, but I am quite enamored with the term "generation Jones". Basically late boomers, but I find the description to be quite accurate.

This puts me in an interesting position historically with respect to the bullnose trucks. I was 21 years old when the new 80 Ford truck was introduced and I recall quite a bit of excitement about the design. Much of my work in those years involved installing aftermarket electronics into these vehicles, so I became quite familiar with their construction.

1980 was also the year I married my lovely wife. 38 years this fall. We have two grown sons and I am semi retired from my electronics career as well as a stint on the railroad as an S&C supervisor. I currently work seasonally as a crop hail adjuster, (yes, born a farm boy). I also work as a relief supervisor within the recycling operation of our local social services which employs the disadvantaged. Remarkably satisfying work.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Jim, 66 years old next month and retired from the Missouri Department of Transportation where I drove a road striper for 24 years painting the roads in 13 counties. Before that ran a Phillips 66 service station and did some duty in Viet Nam.

In the early 50s my uncle bought a Ford dealership and every year for birthday and Christmas I got a Ford promo car. I have been hooked on Fords ever since. I will never forget the sounds and smells of a 60s and 70s car dealership.

My most notable Ford vehicles have been several Model A hot rods, a 428 CJ Mustang I bought while in the service and lots of Ford trucks.

My wife and I have been married since 1979 and we never had any children. I try to make my shop available to my friends that don't have one and the younger guys to work on their rigs. Since retiring I spend most of my time in the shop or out back in my mini Ford salvage yard.

I believe in God and Jesus as our savior but I will admit I don't make it to church as much as I should. I'm working on that.

Great idea!

I am 41 years old and work as a business development manager for a Space and Defense imaging company.

I have a degree in Astrophysics but always wanted to be a mechanic. I used to race go karts (3rd and 6th in UK sprint finals) and raced RC cars for years, i still have 8 of them..

I have been married to a lovely British lady for 10 years. Last year she screamed at me “stop building bikes, we have 12!” So i went on a hunt for an old Ford and found Eunice. I kept looking for a Bronco and found Espy recently. I love working on these trucks. Sprucing them up and keeping them going!

We have an Airstream that is our home from home.. it takes some upkeep!

We don’t have any children, but our Husky Luka is our boy.

We volunteer at various horse rescues local to us and I am on thr board of directors for one of them.

I realy enjoy hanging out on this forum and hopefully one day i can help someone with a problem.

Seems that I'm in the following generation - Y. However, never considered myself part of it - likely due to spending a good chunk of my childhood overseas in Africa where it was pretty much the 70's living in the 80's.

I too work for a Space imaging company - smaller, commercial facing outfit. My background is in Geographic Science and political science - now I'm working on mission operations and trade studies. Crazy times (heck I used to brew beer professionally too!)

I've always loved working with my hands - getting hands on figuring out a mechanical issue or building furniture/rooms/etc....

I've got 2 small girls who try to help me in the garage although their interest in Old Red is limited to going "That's daddy's truck!". (Was my grandfather's before me).

This forum has been a great repository for me and I love checking in every day to see what's going on.

Cheers everyone!

This is a great thread!

I am 44 years old which places me in generation X, but I’m not sure that I want to own the stereotype...

I was born in Taos New Mexico and home schooled through grade 5. We then moved to California where I attended private school.

After graduating I attended Northern Arizona University to study botany. I met my first wife there and we had a son together. I lived in Tucson for three years and ran the propagation department of a desert landscape nursery.

My marriage failed because my now ex developed a substance problem. I took full custody of my son and found my way back to the university for a masters credential in plant physiology.

I met my current wife at the university family housing unit. We have now been happily married 17 years and counting. I also gained two beautiful step daughters that I consider as my own. My son is now 23, middle daughter is 24, and older daughter is 28. We now have three grandchildren age 5,3 & 3.

I have had a variety of jobs, including manufacturing air bags for TRW, building materials tester, US department of agriculture germ plasm research tech, US geologic survey vegetation mapping, university lab teacher, and Bureau of land management contractor. But what has paid the bills for the last 11 years has been manufacturing (tissue paper factory) where I am now a shift supervisor.

My interests (besides classic cars/trucks) are cactus, succulents, and rare native flora, mountaineering, kayaking, photography > microphotography > microscopy > electron micrography... also jewelry, painting, sculpture... I like working with my hands! I like nature, I like science, I like making things.

As far as Fords, my dad had a 1966 F100 flareside that he drove until the cab rotted and collapsed onto the frame. We transplanted the 240 straight six and T18 into a 1968 F250 that I inherited and recently sold.

When my son was born I bought a 1972 Mercury Comet as my dd. I then bought a 1966 F100 that I converted to 3/4 ton axles and a 300 six. The engine donor was a 1980 F150 mine truck from Globe AZ. The truck was roached, but I remember it fondly and thinking that I liked the body style almost as much as my classic ‘66.

Eventually I realized I needed 4wd and more space for my growing family. Enter the 1986 F350 diesel crew cab. It has been rather problematic, but at the same time solidified my love of the bullnose era trucks. I owned a beat down 1981 F250 4x4 for wood and water hauling (sold) a 1982 F150 4x4 (parts truck) and now a 1981 F150 4x4 straight six.

I have turned to a lot of different online sources for truck info., but this group right here is by far the most helpful and good quality group of people that you will find anywhere. I for one am eternally grateful that it is here, and to be able to be a part of it 🙂

I'll throw in.

33 years old. Mechanical Designer. Robotics, Valves, Flame Arrestor, Firearms, Piping, Conveyor systems. I've done a lot of various things. Never been happy with any of it. Never been happier than when I am wrenching. Beauty of a wife named Holly, and two young sons 5 and 7.

I've owned various vehicles. VW's and Chevy's have been my go to, but the Bullnose Fords I think are way better looking in comparison to a Chevy of the same vintage. They are cheap and easy to work on, and this community is wonderful. That is why I am here. Seems like everywhere I go now, neighbors don't know their neighbors. Community is lacking. Respect for one another is lacking. When I read through here I see love and respect, and love for a hobby, and a brotherhood. That is something I have not found on any Chevy forum.

I used to live a few miles from Gary Lewis, which is part of how I got involved with all this. I was broke as a joke when I lived in Collinsville OK, all I could afford to drive was a 86 f150. So, when it came time to start the upkeep, I did what every other gear head does these days and found a forum. That's when I realized Gary Lewis was just a couple miles down the road.

I used to be a believer. I even traveled to Africa to win souls as a young 17 year old preacher. Not so much anymore. I really struggle with things of faith these days. I admire you old timers and your faith.

I am looking at getting another bullnose...I am just waiting for the perfect one. I have time on my side.

I'll throw in.

33 years old. Mechanical Designer. Robotics, Valves, Flame Arrestor, Firearms, Piping, Conveyor systems. I've done a lot of various things. Never been happy with any of it. Never been happier than when I am wrenching. Beauty of a wife named Holly, and two young sons 5 and 7.

I've owned various vehicles. VW's and Chevy's have been my go to, but the Bullnose Fords I think are way better looking in comparison to a Chevy of the same vintage. They are cheap and easy to work on, and this community is wonderful. That is why I am here. Seems like everywhere I go now, neighbors don't know their neighbors. Community is lacking. Respect for one another is lacking. When I read through here I see love and respect, and love for a hobby, and a brotherhood. That is something I have not found on any Chevy forum.

I used to live a few miles from Gary Lewis, which is part of how I got involved with all this. I was broke as a joke when I lived in Collinsville OK, all I could afford to drive was a 86 f150. So, when it came time to start the upkeep, I did what every other gear head does these days and found a forum. That's when I realized Gary Lewis was just a couple miles down the road.

I used to be a believer. I even traveled to Africa to win souls as a young 17 year old preacher. Not so much anymore. I really struggle with things of faith these days. I admire you old timers and your faith.

I am looking at getting another bullnose...I am just waiting for the perfect one. I have time on my side.

Okay... I'll tell you a bit about myself.

I'm a Gen X. My name is Darin and I'll be 52 at the end of the year. I live in Sydney, Australia and have been married to be lovely wife Anita for 30 years this November. Together we have 1 son (aged 21) and he still lives at home.

My background is in the automotive/repair industry as a spray painter but I've been out of the game for over 20+ years now. I'm now working in the plumbing industry from manufacturing to warehousing logistics as a supervisor.

I have had too many cars to remember but the passion has come out of the repair industry working on Australian muscle cars (we never got the American muscle cars over here - only a few parts came out of your vehicles (engines, trans and rear ends) which came to Australia and we put in the GM and Ford products). My first car was a Mazda RX3 sedan, afterwards I owned a Holden Torana A9X hatch and from there I changed to GT Ford Falcons (of which I still own a couple) and have never looked back.

I've currently got a 1980 Bullnose flare side, 1976 and 1977 Econolines, 1984 GT Mustang convertible and 1968 Mustang coupe all of which have been acquired one travels to the States over the last 10 years.

Aside from working and playing around on the old cars/trucks we also like to travel to the US for vacation.

• 4 years later...

Hello all!

I realize this thread is quite old and I'm a new member, but I really appreciate knowing others that I'm talking to even through forums. I hope it's ok that I am reviving this thread.

I'll be 56 in June and will have been married for 30 years. We have 3 adult kids who have given us 4 awesome grandkids, so far.

I grew up in central Illinois on a small farm, one of 9 kids. Yep, we almost had our own baseball team. 😆

The first vehicle I ever drove was my dad's '79 F150 SuperCab. My mom always drove Jeeps, usually a Grand Wagoneer to haul all of us kids. Boy would I like to have one of those back!

My first vehicular purchase was a 1966 F100, straight 6 with "3 on the tree".

I've owned pretty much every manufacturer since then, at least American stuff. And a VW once. My daily is a 2015 Ram 1500.

My wife and I moved our two oldest kids to Raleigh in 1994. I work for a software company that develops kitchen cabinet design and shop floor execution technology. If you've went to Lowe's and designed a kitchen, that is my company's software in the background. I've been with them since 1994.

I'm not the most mechanically minded guy in the world, but I'm definitely not afraid to tear into something to try to fix it. And I have access to a lift whenever I need it, so that helps.

I'm excited to get to know this group better and this thread is perfect for that! Well done David for starting it.

-Wayne

Hello all!

I realize this thread is quite old and I'm a new member, but I really appreciate knowing others that I'm talking to even through forums. I hope it's ok that I am reviving this thread.

I'll be 56 in June and will have been married for 30 years. We have 3 adult kids who have given us 4 awesome grandkids, so far.

I grew up in central Illinois on a small farm, one of 9 kids. Yep, we almost had our own baseball team. 😆

The first vehicle I ever drove was my dad's '79 F150 SuperCab. My mom always drove Jeeps, usually a Grand Wagoneer to haul all of us kids. Boy would I like to have one of those back!

My first vehicular purchase was a 1966 F100, straight 6 with "3 on the tree".

I've owned pretty much every manufacturer since then, at least American stuff. And a VW once. My daily is a 2015 Ram 1500.

My wife and I moved our two oldest kids to Raleigh in 1994. I work for a software company that develops kitchen cabinet design and shop floor execution technology. If you've went to Lowe's and designed a kitchen, that is my company's software in the background. I've been with them since 1994.

I'm not the most mechanically minded guy in the world, but I'm definitely not afraid to tear into something to try to fix it. And I have access to a lift whenever I need it, so that helps.

I'm excited to get to know this group better and this thread is perfect for that! Well done David for starting it.

-Wayne

Good to get to know you, Wayne! :nabble_anim_handshake:

As far as members, we are currently at 1731 and growing handily - usually four or five a week. Lots of good people and kind discussions.

Considering age, I have you by 20 years since I'll be 76 in June. And Janey and I've been married for 54 years with two kids and three grands. So much fun!

Good to get to know you, Wayne! :nabble_anim_handshake:

As far as members, we are currently at 1731 and growing handily - usually four or five a week. Lots of good people and kind discussions.

Considering age, I have you by 20 years since I'll be 76 in June. And Janey and I've been married for 54 years with two kids and three grands. So much fun!

Thanks Gary, I'm really happy to have found this forum.

The grandkids are awesome, that's for sure. Our oldest is the only girl, she's 5. The rest are 3, 3 and 1.

I can't wait for them to get older to truly spoil them!

Thanks Gary, I'm really happy to have found this forum. The grandkids are awesome, that's for sure. Our oldest is the only girl, she's 5. The rest are 3, 3 and 1.I can't wait for them to get older to truly spoil them!
Yes, grandkids are fun. Mine are 11, 11, and 8, with the 11 & 11 ones being twins. I've taught those two a little bit about driving as I've put Big Blue in 4 Low and 2nd gear and let them putt putt around in a pasture and parking lot.

It is so much fun watching them grow and mature, and teaching them things that parents might not. :nabble_smiley_evil: For instance, last summer the twins and I were talking about things that burn and I told them that steel burns. They didn't believe me so we went to the shop: