Bullnose Forum

Local news...Bullnose Flareside scrapped...by angry ex-wife lol

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this story (probably laugh), but there was a big commotion on some of the local classic car and truck pages last week. These two brothers were looking for a Bullnose Flareside that had supposedly been stolen. All they knew was that the truck was missing, so they alerted everybody to be on the look out for this truck or parts of the truck (it was bright orange, so hard to miss). In their minds, it had been stolen.

As the week went on, it turned out that the angry ex-wife of one of these brother's had the truck scrapped...lol. There was a lot of drama that went along with this, and a lot of dirty laundry was aired...but at the end of the day, it looks like she had called a local scrap metal company (half a mile from where I work). A flat deck truck was dispatched to pick up this Bullnose, and it was brought to the scrap yard. Now...this scrap yard is not like an auto salvage yard...these guys just do metals in general, and if you bring them something, it gets crushed and ground up into bits within an hour or two. It's like a production line...metal goes in one end of the yard, and ground up metal bits are picked up at the other end.

This is a picture of said truck...

191059185_10157543704331324_5598989554085607883_n.jpg.9b0c0bc21a56311df7e1d440b57985b1.jpg

Within the finer details was that the truck was not 100% complete. The front end had been removed...maybe for a Crown Vic swap or something, I don't know.

Anyway, there were some sad faces when they had finally confirmed that the truck had indeed been crushed and not stolen. It brought up a lot of other questions about the legality of it all...and had anybody asked for, or checked, the VIN. Apparently they are supposed to, but whether they did or not is yet to be determined. I guess the sad part is that even if the truck was not actually worth much, it had belonged to the father of the two brothers previously, so there was some sentimental value, if nothing else.

Oh well, it made for some interesting reading, and internet drama.

I bet the scrap yard is going to get in big trouble. They are supposed to verify ownership and receive the title in hand before any scrap yard takes in a vehicle to prove the vehicle is not stolen in the first place.

Its just like converters, you cant take a converter into a scrap yard anymore without leaving a copy of your ID just incase it turns up as stolen from a car.

Id be interested in finding out what exactly plays out cause that sounds highly illegal as being the ex wife obviously the truck wasnt in her name and she obviously didnt have access to the title unless one of the brothers was ignorant enough to leave it in the glove box. But even then the names wouldnt match up if it was even presented.

Sounds like a bunch of drama that might not even be true in the first place and if it is true then I hope that scrap yard gets punished greatly for basically scrapping a stolen vehicle.

...I hope that scrap yard gets punished greatly for basically scrapping a stolen vehicle.

Well, as I mentioned above...it wasn't really a complete vehicle. All of the pictures posted were of a complete truck, but it came out later on that the truck was at least partially disassembled...it sounded more like all the parts of the truck were there, but not a complete rolling vehicle. I believe the ex-wife and the truck were at the same property...the guy had moved out.

The laws around how this type of thing are handled vary by region, even up here. According to everything I've read on it this week, the police cannot do anything. It took the two brothers two weeks to figure out where the truck (or remains of the truck) went. By the that time, the truck had long been ground up into bits and loaded into a sea can. The ex wife is denying that she did it, and the scrap metal dealer is not obligated to hand over any documentation unless they're taken to court.

I guess the police told the guy he'd have to take it to supreme court or something.

I've scrapped cabs and frames before and nobody has ever asked me for a VIN.

...I hope that scrap yard gets punished greatly for basically scrapping a stolen vehicle.

Well, as I mentioned above...it wasn't really a complete vehicle. All of the pictures posted were of a complete truck, but it came out later on that the truck was at least partially disassembled...it sounded more like all the parts of the truck were there, but not a complete rolling vehicle. I believe the ex-wife and the truck were at the same property...the guy had moved out.

The laws around how this type of thing are handled vary by region, even up here. According to everything I've read on it this week, the police cannot do anything. It took the two brothers two weeks to figure out where the truck (or remains of the truck) went. By the that time, the truck had long been ground up into bits and loaded into a sea can. The ex wife is denying that she did it, and the scrap metal dealer is not obligated to hand over any documentation unless they're taken to court.

I guess the police told the guy he'd have to take it to supreme court or something.

Things are pretty lax here as well. I was told I'd have to have VIN into the last time I took parts to the scrap yard but wasn't asked for it when I took them in.

So I doubt anything will come from that episode. Still, it is a shame. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Sounds very relaxed, wonder if you have a huge crime problem with stolen vehicles being sold for scrap after they were stripped. Around here is a huge issue which is why they need you to hand over a title that is in your name to said vehicle before they will even accept it.

Things are pretty lax here as well. I was told I'd have to have VIN into the last time I took parts to the scrap yard but wasn't asked for it when I took them in.

So I doubt anything will come from that episode. Still, it is a shame. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Yep it is but if the brothers left the truck with the ex and walked away from it then its on them in my book. I would either kick the ex out or load up my stuff and take it all the same day putting it into storage if I have to.

Sounds very relaxed, wonder if you have a huge crime problem with stolen vehicles being sold for scrap after they were stripped. Around here is a huge issue which is why they need you to hand over a title that is in your name to said vehicle before they will even accept it.

No crime issues, no, not in that sense at least. As far as I know there is a form that you're supposed to fill out, but that's it...and I don't know how diligent they are with that. Lots of people buy old properties up here and have to dispose of one or several old cars for which there'd be no paperwork.

No crime issues, no, not in that sense at least. As far as I know there is a form that you're supposed to fill out, but that's it...and I don't know how diligent they are with that. Lots of people buy old properties up here and have to dispose of one or several old cars for which there'd be no paperwork.

Thats how it used to be here with just filling out paperwork but people were leaving false information and getting rid of stolen goods then some 25 years ago they changed it to require you have to not only present your ID for photo copy but you also have to present a title if its a vehicle being turned in. As far as vehicles without paperwork one can obtain a bonded title and that can be accepted as well or you can take some time and go a different route such as taking the vehicle out of a major urban area and scrap it in a rural area they dont really follow the rules too much as people that have stolen goods wants to unload it asap vs traveling with it for hundreds of miles.

Thats how it used to be here with just filling out paperwork but people were leaving false information and getting rid of stolen goods then some 25 years ago they changed it to require you have to not only present your ID for photo copy but you also have to present a title if its a vehicle being turned in. As far as vehicles without paperwork one can obtain a bonded title and that can be accepted as well or you can take some time and go a different route such as taking the vehicle out of a major urban area and scrap it in a rural area they dont really follow the rules too much as people that have stolen goods wants to unload it asap vs traveling with it for hundreds of miles.

I feel like this is a cautionary tale...

My wife didn't look all that happy last time I brought home another parts truck lol