Bullnose Forum

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

Thats right, I forgot you have the zf5. Im assuming 1st is much lower than the C6.

Big Blue is gonna be a beast in the mountains. Whats your extra fuel storage going to be?

LOL! Yes, first on a ZF5 is much lower than that of a C6. 5.72 vs 2.46, so more than 2:1.

Extra fuel? I have two 19 gallon tanks. And I'm turning in about 9 MPG on the GOAT, so I think I'll be ok w/o extra fuel as that would give me a 342 mile range. Might not get the full 9 at Ouray, but then again these trails have had me running from 1st to 3rd all day.

LOL! Yes, first on a ZF5 is much lower than that of a C6. 5.72 vs 2.46, so more than 2:1.

Extra fuel? I have two 19 gallon tanks. And I'm turning in about 9 MPG on the GOAT, so I think I'll be ok w/o extra fuel as that would give me a 342 mile range. Might not get the full 9 at Ouray, but then again these trails have had me running from 1st to 3rd all day.

That'll be plenty. I think the tank in my CJ5 was about 15 gallons. The only time that was ever an issue was one long day when I realized I also had a fuel leak. And that Jeep only got about 11 mpg on the highway, so Big Blue shouldn't have any issues with range, at least on one or two day trips.

That'll be plenty. I think the tank in my CJ5 was about 15 gallons. The only time that was ever an issue was one long day when I realized I also had a fuel leak. And that Jeep only got about 11 mpg on the highway, so Big Blue shouldn't have any issues with range, at least on one or two day trips.

Thanks, Bob. That was my thinking as well, but I've not done it and you have.

However, we only got 160 miles yesterday & today on one of the 19 gallon tanks, so that's only 8.4 MPG. And that does include a bit of highway driving. So when going slow it looks like the MPG may be more like 8 rather than 9. Still, that's 300 miles for the two tanks so I think it should be adequate for Colorado since we can fill up each day.

Thanks, Bob. That was my thinking as well, but I've not done it and you have.

However, we only got 160 miles yesterday & today on one of the 19 gallon tanks, so that's only 8.4 MPG. And that does include a bit of highway driving. So when going slow it looks like the MPG may be more like 8 rather than 9. Still, that's 300 miles for the two tanks so I think it should be adequate for Colorado since we can fill up each day.

Mileage when just on trails will likely drop even farther. I wouldn't be too shocked to see 5 or something. That "only" 190 miles. But 190 miles of trail riding would be a REALLY long day!

If you're talking Moab I think you'll still have plenty of gas in your first tank at the end of most days. Ouray might start pushing the first tank, but you still probably won't NEED the second (but you'll be glad you have it!). Farther north in Colorado the trails are longer with more highway in between. Up there is where I needed to fill the 15 gallon (leaking) tank in my CJ5. But you're driving through towns on the highway stretches, so even that doesn't push typical fuel limits.

Mileage when just on trails will likely drop even farther. I wouldn't be too shocked to see 5 or something. That "only" 190 miles. But 190 miles of trail riding would be a REALLY long day!

If you're talking Moab I think you'll still have plenty of gas in your first tank at the end of most days. Ouray might start pushing the first tank, but you still probably won't NEED the second (but you'll be glad you have it!). Farther north in Colorado the trails are longer with more highway in between. Up there is where I needed to fill the 15 gallon (leaking) tank in my CJ5. But you're driving through towns on the highway stretches, so even that doesn't push typical fuel limits.

I doubt we are talking anything approaching 100 miles in a day, much less 200.

But when (if) we go overlanding then I think I'll need to be carrying extra gas. But we shall see.

I doubt we are talking anything approaching 100 miles in a day, much less 200.

But when (if) we go overlanding then I think I'll need to be carrying extra gas. But we shall see.

Yeah, multi-day trips will require more planning. But by then you'll also have some experience with how much fuel Big Blue actually uses in those situations so you'll have real data to base those plans on.

Personally I haven't done much of that, and what I have done hasn't been at all remote. I've done three week-long camping/'wheeling trips in Colorado. But in all of those trips we ended up on the highway every day, traveling to the next trail. So it was always easy to refuel as often as necessary.

Yeah, multi-day trips will require more planning. But by then you'll also have some experience with how much fuel Big Blue actually uses in those situations so you'll have real data to base those plans on.

Personally I haven't done much of that, and what I have done hasn't been at all remote. I've done three week-long camping/'wheeling trips in Colorado. But in all of those trips we ended up on the highway every day, traveling to the next trail. So it was always easy to refuel as often as necessary.

I'm sure hoping I can get my son to go with me overlanding, and I keep seeing glimmers of hope. For instance, for my birthday he got me a Petzl Actik headlight, which I'm sure he found via some of the magazines he reads on overlanding. It has a red light mode which he said "Is good for in camp as it won't hurt your night vision, and while you may not go camping on the Ouray trip, maybe in the future."

So I do hope to need multi-day capabilities on fuel and will be keeping track of how much Big Blue uses.

I'm sure hoping I can get my son to go with me overlanding, and I keep seeing glimmers of hope. For instance, for my birthday he got me a Petzl Actik headlight, which I'm sure he found via some of the magazines he reads on overlanding. It has a red light mode which he said "Is good for in camp as it won't hurt your night vision, and while you may not go camping on the Ouray trip, maybe in the future."

So I do hope to need multi-day capabilities on fuel and will be keeping track of how much Big Blue uses.

Ok, it is official! My brother and I are leaving on Sept 6th, two days after the show, and will spend the 8th - 11th 'wheeling. Our hotel is in Ouray, so now I just need to get a few more things done on the truck. :nabble_anim_jump:

:nabble_smiley_happy:
Well, I need a little help from my friends. I started making a list of the things I'm going to take to Ouray, and would like y'all to tell me what I'm missing.

I still have some work to do consolidating the two tool boxes I had into the one that will stay in Big Blue, but about the only things left to add might be some smaller sockets. Beyond that I think I'm "there" on tools.

So, what am I missing?