Bullnose Forum

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

Let's see, w/o all the offroad traffic they'd dry up and blow away? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

There'd still be a few people for the nearby national parks, as well as all of us who drive actual street-legal vehicles, so I don't think they'd blow away. But ATVs do bring them a LOT of tourist dollars.

We could do that, Dane, and put them in the back of Big Blue. Plus, if he has locking lug nuts we could put them on and it wouldn't be easy to put other tires and wheels on. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary, I think you nailed it as far as certain towns in CO wanting to be upscale vs others not caring about it.

My understanding is an atv is a 4 wheeler you sit on like a dirt bike, UTV has car seats, side by side. Im sure its not cut and dry but thats what it is in my mind. You should have a lot more leeway in a UTV but Im sure it depends mainly on if the trooper or sherriff is having a good day.

It seems like the trailer question is kind of difficult. Depending on how long youre out there, you could probably find a storage lot to drop it in. That way, in addition to whatever precautions you take, it will have a fence around it. Theres also apps where you rent space on someones property, never used them though.

I hope you are thinking of how to document this trip, Im sure Im not the only one that wants to see Big Blue in action.

We could do that, Dane, and put them in the back of Big Blue. Plus, if he has locking lug nuts we could put them on and it wouldn't be easy to put other tires and wheels on. :nabble_smiley_good:

Im also a big fan of wrapping chains through the wheel spokes and around the axles and locking it. Angle grinders attract a lot of attention.

Im also a big fan of wrapping chains through the wheel spokes and around the axles and locking it. Angle grinders attract a lot of attention.

Sam - I'm certainly going to document it. I hope to do something like Bob has done on his trips.

As for the trailer and the OHV, turns out it won't be a problem. My brother has decided that it is just too much hassle. We'll just take Big Blue and see where we can go with him. We will start with the easier stuff and progress up to whatever we feel like we can do.

Sam - I'm certainly going to document it. I hope to do something like Bob has done on his trips.

As for the trailer and the OHV, turns out it won't be a problem. My brother has decided that it is just too much hassle. We'll just take Big Blue and see where we can go with him. We will start with the easier stuff and progress up to whatever we feel like we can do.

That eliminates a lot of planning.

Gary, I was driving the Bull today and I was thinking about something you mentioned when I first got it. Because I haul water on a really bumpy road, theres a couple stretches where I have to take it slow and almost idle through a couple areas. You mentioned low oil pressure under those conditions. And also high temps when driving slow for long stretches in the summer. Curious what your thoughts are on that now, especially since you'll be in similar conditions on your trip. When I'm on dirt, I'm in 1st gear 4x4. Seems to be better but my tach is in-op at the moment so Im not sure what my rpms are at. Also curious what oil weight you run in summer.

That eliminates a lot of planning.

Gary, I was driving the Bull today and I was thinking about something you mentioned when I first got it. Because I haul water on a really bumpy road, theres a couple stretches where I have to take it slow and almost idle through a couple areas. You mentioned low oil pressure under those conditions. And also high temps when driving slow for long stretches in the summer. Curious what your thoughts are on that now, especially since you'll be in similar conditions on your trip. When I'm on dirt, I'm in 1st gear 4x4. Seems to be better but my tach is in-op at the moment so Im not sure what my rpms are at. Also curious what oil weight you run in summer.

I was in 1st gear, which is quite low on a ZF5, as well as 4Lo once today, and just 4Hi and 1st several times. My oil pressure stays up quite nicely on Big Blue at really low RPM even when the engine has been up to temp for several hours. In fact, at anything over 1000 RPM it is at 60 PSI. But that's due to the engine having been well built by Scotty.

As for oil, I'm running Brad Penn 30W break-in oil at present. Bought 12 quarts and used it for the initial break-in and now on the 2nd change I'm also using that oil. Will probably go to Brad Penn's 10W30 when I change after this round.

I was in 1st gear, which is quite low on a ZF5, as well as 4Lo once today, and just 4Hi and 1st several times. My oil pressure stays up quite nicely on Big Blue at really low RPM even when the engine has been up to temp for several hours. In fact, at anything over 1000 RPM it is at 60 PSI. But that's due to the engine having been well built by Scotty.

As for oil, I'm running Brad Penn 30W break-in oil at present. Bought 12 quarts and used it for the initial break-in and now on the 2nd change I'm also using that oil. Will probably go to Brad Penn's 10W30 when I change after this round.

Thats right, I forgot you have the zf5. Im assuming 1st is much lower than the C6.

Big Blue is gonna be a beast in the mountains. Whats your extra fuel storage going to be?